Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
27 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

April 2008 for instance had a good four inches of snow here ,that was about early mid April time , came overnight and was all gone by mid afternoon!

Early April 6th 2008 saw a few inches of snow in the south and although it had almost all gone by mid afternoon, temperatures didn't exceed 2C in places.  Now, that is exceptional!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Late April 1981 probably as exceptional as it gets for this part of spring. Certainly more extreme than today.

image.thumb.png.3c151b86a6ae0c4394f05362669b41b8.pngimage.thumb.png.45c792edc56db56f8f156388c545d476.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Low daytime maximas such as this are not that uncommon in April. It's significantly below average, but at a time of year when wild swings in weather is common, extremes of both cold and warm can happen. 

• Like 3

Posted

It can’t be called a ‘spell’ anymore, so the worst ‘era’ of weather I have ever experienced this (since the end of summer 22). 

Im genuinely worried this new awfulness has stuck and will be our default moving forwards (with the odd small window of respite like June 23 and the week in September)

The three summer months will have to be absolutely phenomenal now to salvage this year because May looks just as uninspiring and by the time we get to the end of July the nights are drawing back in and we gear up for at least another 8 months of dross. 

Thank Christ I am actually going on holiday this year if only for a week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Im genuinely worried this new awfulness has stuck and will be our default moving forwards (with the odd small window of respite like June 23 and the week in September)

This will not be our default pattern moving forward.  We will have a dry period again with droughts!

Posted
13 minutes ago, danm said:

Low daytime maximas such as this are not that uncommon in April. It's significantly below average, but at a time of year when wild swings in weather is common, extremes of both cold and warm can happen. 

Just done for Heathrow, preliminary high of 9C it’s tied lowest max on record for date with 1973. This is exceptional. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

This feels more like a mid autumnal day. 

Grey skies, constant light rain and drizzle. Atleast there's no fog or mist/drizzle, that would have been absolutely dreadful. 

Does seem to be a trend to something warmer into May but whether that comes with something drier is a ?. 

• Like 1

Posted

Daniel* it may well be a record for the date, but single digit maximas happen even in May at times. Yes, it's well below average, but my point is in Spring, we often get wild temperature fluctuations. 

April 2018 went from 28.5c at Heathrow on the 19th to a high of 8c on the 29th:

Screenshot2024-04-22at18_33_07.thumb.png.eb34f17d4e75c7b5bf0373babc5cf2f1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Daniel* we could do with seeing the records for the few days before and after this date. I doubt it's exceptional in the last 10 days of the month overall. The specific date this cold day occurs is more chance than anything exceptional. I'd expect other days within 3 or 4 days of this date to be colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Azazel I'll second this. Easily the worst era of weather I've lived through. It's the reason I've drained lots of my savings on 4 solo trips abroad to get away from this absolute junk lol. Seems to be a never-ending infinite cycle of horse manure. Doesn't help getting 2 late season SSW's 2 years in a row too I guess lol. SSW (Sudden Spring Wreckers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, danm said:

Low daytime maximas such as this are not that uncommon in April.

They are much more notable later in month that’s the point. Using the point of 2018 an exceptional spring certainly demonstrates something. If we see a daily record with over half a century of data, it’s noteworthy at the very least. 

Posted

Daniel* you're right, it is unusual, it doesn't happen often at all. But Spring is one of those seasons where it can happen more than any other. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

danm the problem with our weather currently dan is our troposphere reacting to our SSW which ended earlier this month.   We also have the east QBO having a tussel with a strong PV and an el niño decline.   All of this and more is exacerbating to unsettled conditions with a jet stream not far north enough to facilitate good weather.   

Posted

Addicks Fan 1981 not to mention a general preponderance for northern blocking at this time of year, with or without a SSW. Any area of high pressure that comes our way can quite easily get sucked west or north of the UK due to a rapidly shrinking PV

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I will say that today has definitely 'felt' colder than any day since about January 19th, even if the temperature has been roughly similar to the lowest maximum since then.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I hope that we don't have anyone complaining about a drought when/if we get a week or 2 without rain.

• Like 4

Posted

Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-17-51-817.thumb.jpg.77da2d6abacd90592d74f0d88f80fb8b.jpg

Apparently it was below 9c on the 28th April 2020. 

Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-19-45-218.thumb.jpg.d89a2d9721f2aad4b4a766d2fedf0475.jpg

Below 10c at Heathrow for the last 3 days of 2018. 

Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-23-11-471.thumb.jpg.0392f223155628618df2cf99a994c7a6.jpg

Less than 10c on the 28th April 2012

Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-25-02-102.thumb.jpg.67887ad7c319d91a13870ed71137ad0b.jpg

Less than 10c on the 29th, 2004.

So today's cold at Heathrow is certainly fairly rare, though nothing unusual, with a return period of about 4 to 5 years for the last third of April, this century so far. 

Posted

B87 I'm dreading a two week period without any rain as we will have to start thinking about a drought situation with potential hose pipe bands and stand pipes etc! 😬 🤫

Meanwhile, a very misty and murky evening here.  Beware of the bogey man everyone!

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

If one is going to be picky and cherrypick specific dates rather than a general period...

Reading had a maximum of 7.5C on 22nd April 1973. Heathrow had 8.8C that same day.

Kew had a max of 7.3C on 22nd April 1922 and 22nd April 1888.

Today is not exceptional at all.

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Tonight has definitely been the worst night of the year for me mentally wise. Just the unrelentingly crap weather with near zero improvements on offer. I would take a break from it all but I've got zero resources to escape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

SummerShower February 8th 2024 was the most pathetic excuse for a snow event ever. Forecasted a day like 3rd December 2023, but we actually got cold rain and a little bit of sleet all day