Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

nick sussex

Far two early to right off 'chase 1' mate, still a big chance of a dumping somewhere in UK on Thursday! Also if thar place is Northern England or further south, that would also gives chance of back edge snow even further south as it clears late thursday/ Friday. With also the chance of snow showers coming in from a resulting NE flow on wrap around (although may be short lived.)

A long way from being resolved, round 1 chance of Heavy snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

jules216 good obersavations there jules about SW russian airmass. 

We do need some good deep cold to tap in to.

if LP can stick around and in the correct trajectory then this could help sustain a small easterly NE  flow for short topography lockin of cold . Any further cold would be short live as most likely transitionary snow before Atlantic takes control. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

There is a lot going on here.  One thing that strikes me is the amount of red borders (Scandi block).  This highlights the possibility of drawing in an easterly or northeasterly.  Cluster 3 shows this well - evolves a very well placed block.  Cluster 2 could be good too with some tweaks.  Cluster 1 heads the block up to Greenland, again slight tweak needed to align with the UK

That’s where my interest is. I’m with nick, I think the first chase is not going to happen for the vast majority.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

That ECM

Its frustrating as once again the outputs have generally ended up with the worst outcome .

After that we’re left chasing another pot of gold at the end of the rainbow .

Theres a lot of volatility in the later output highlighted by the difference between today’s ECM and last nights .

Something seems to be brewing to the ne . Let’s hope it doesn’t end up a stale bitter cup of tea ! 

• Like 5

Posted

Morning all,ECM a step back in regards to snow in the south but charts still not sure of low pressure tracking best option fax when in the more reliable range.Not worth looking at anything past 144/168hrs.

Posted

feb1991blizzard

There looks to be a rapid drop in zonal winds as we head towards the middle of the month and a chance of a major SSW.

So we could still salvage something . How much fun can we squeeze into the last two weeks of February?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

offerman yes, this tíme of year is all about maximalising depth of cold. Its not december anymore and anything around or after 20.02 requires expectional synoptics to deliver = deep troughing from east. These Atlantic undercuts will be useless unless you desire cold rain or 12h wet Snow muck. Its sometimes hard to accept reality and that IS why there are  often unrealistic comments here. Ultimately by the end of the season you Can take the whole budget and see if these so called optimistic runs delivered anything. They probably didnt and I am finding no output in there that would deliver anything appart from Scandinavia or very high ground in Európe. You might as Well this tíme of the year chase high pressure and mild sun, it would be múch more pleasant then half hearted attempt resulting in 5°C muck.

• Like 2

Posted

MJB

I’m not writing it off but the trend this morning so far apart from the GFS hasn’t been good re the low .

Still time for changes . Let’s hope the Euros u-turn .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Mike Poole 

Good morning,

Despite the chances of a Scandiblock increasing, I get the impression that there is no significant cold in store. When taking the EPS again, there seems to be a lot of certainty (little scatter), but at best the conditions are just below seasonal for the week after next week. I'm not sure why this is, but that is remarkable given the cold up North. Of course a lot can change when it gets nearer in future, but there are not a lot members going for a very cold Easterly or Northeasterly like the GFS00, which was splendid btw. eps_pluim_tt_06280(10).thumb.png.4f556610bd7f901022f955fb7d7d1947.png

The wind probability shows a large amount of members going for a wind direction between north and east for the week after next week. About 40%

eps_windrichting_kanspluim_06280.thumb.png.641d075128880e416f2e5107ed74e4fd.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted

If gfs op dropped the fascination with snowfall from attempt one then we’d be a lot less excited in here. We should learn from experience that gfs op is not the model you want in your back pocket when it’s fairly isolated. 

we can wait till Mondays 00z runs to draw the curtains on attempt one south of the M62 

the cold flow to follow is uncertain re depth of cold and instability 

then we look to hemispheric pattern changes and if we don’t get a sig cold spell with snowfall by the end of feb then we are truly unlucky 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

if we don’t get a sig cold spell with snowfall by the end of feb then we are truly unlucky 

Very unlucky as we seemed to have ticked many boxes along with the much touted back loaded winter, to end up without a single snowflake IMBY really tough luck 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

ICON had the slightest of movements towards the GFS in it's early stages but ends with this chart at 120..

icon-0-120.thumb.png.3398917eccdc5e32a5accb2a9ffefef7.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Looking at the models this morning I really can’t see much of interest, the GFS op is the only real promising run and that itself is very much on the colder side against the mean.

Hopefully somewhere see’s a dumping late next week, outside of that I don’t see anything of note. Looking at mid month onwards now.

• Like 1