Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Dennis

Yes - noticed that, i have a feeling of very very strong blocking regime late March, i might do a post later if i can find all the charts i need, unfortunately though because the transition is likely mid March or after, most on here will hope my forecast goes as well as the rest of mine this winter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The annoying thing is that we may see charts in early March that would of produced snow in early February but will just be cold rain as 850's won't be cold enough. High SSTs for the time of year won't help either.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

You can sense the tumbleweed rolling around in this thread!

GFS ensembles from about next Thursday won't please anyone (apart from some snow loving sheep and villagers on some northern and north-western hills). Cool/coldish rain, no snow, and no spring-like conditions

image.thumb.png.9227ed25274ccd7db11c9d1bab6bb733.png

• Like 6

Posted

There is a chance 

a few runs sniffing at a trough extension from the west which undercuts the ridge behind the northerly.  The cyclonic northerly on offer looks v unlikely to be cold enough away from elevation in the north. But with uppers -3/-4 in place behind the low, a trough extending across and undercutting the ridge would bring a neg tilted front into the U.K.

timing around 26 feb /28 feb  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Dennis

Good Morning,

Isn't that the sign of the final warming Dennis? It often occurs in March/april. Meanwhile EC is not very interested in a blocking scenario (EPS nothing more than average after week 1). GFS much better and seems spot on lately when it comes to the synoptic pattern (change). Hopefully the blocked pattern leads to sunny conditions regardless if it's cold or not. I prefer dry conditions. 

eps_pluim_tt_06280 (21).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters this morning, T192-T240:

IMG_8776.thumb.png.6d48a3bea5ada9b597640ade3473949f.png

I’m struck by how deep into southern Europe the trough gets by day 10, on clusters 1 to 4.  What’s at stake is how strong the ridge upstream of it is, with cluster 2 the strongest, cluster 1 the weakest.  Cluster 5 is rather different with a UK high, cluster 6 fails to put up much of a ridge - these are very minority solutions though (4 members each).

T264+:

IMG_8777.thumb.png.2f128a1b62e17d2e0b5d8c7f5bcf097a.png

I’m sensing this timeframe very up for grabs, as we enter a timeframe where I’m not sure what is forcing the pattern (if anything).  Opportunities to pull down some colder air in the mix though.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

very very strong blocking regime late March

White Easter 🙂 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, Fri 16th to Thu 22nd (day 7)

I suppose we want to cheer on the model showing the most interesting-looking storm now..?

animybo6.gifanimhaq8.gifanimsld1.gif

12z ensemble means, Fri 16th to Fri 1st (day 15)

ECM now has the mean trough over the UK from the 22nd through to the 26th, which is a lovely prospect. And it brings it back over us by the turn of the month, although at least it leaves the mean surface low pressure on our eastern side, the slightly more interesting side. All three models show the Atlantic high pressure signal peaking around the 27th, but even at that point it isn't looking especially impressive.

animhnj8.gifanimfss5.gifanimuhs0.gif

0z deterministic runs, Fri 16th to Fri 23rd (day 7)

I guess we are looking for a steeper northwest-southeast gradient on the back edge of the trough for greater interest later, so the UKMO would be the pick here.

I would be interested to hear from any members with more of an interest in the finer details as to just how wild & windy it could get under the big purple blob later next week.

animuzd6.gifanimpnc8.gifanimhcb0.gif

0z ensemble means, Fri 16th to Sat 2nd (day 15)

The trough still looks to be the main influence over the UK from 22nd through 26th. Still a chance of a slightly cooler flavour as the ridge builds in behind it around the 26th, but the more settled-looking mean from that date does not now remain for very long, and the ends of these runs leave us with the impression that there could be more weather coming from north of west later.

animqri1.gifanimmmk4.gifanimfdf4.gif

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
3 hours ago, LRD said:

GFS ensembles from about next Thursday won't please anyone (apart from some snow loving sheep and villagers on some northern and north-western hills). Cool/coldish rain, no snow, and no spring-like conditions

I realise it's more for the model moans thread but it is a long way from being the worst possible outcome. That would be equally cyclonic but SW-ly, both very wet and very mild. Get colder air in and it'll probably turn drier even if it's still cyclonic, particularly if the lows turn flabby as is happening on the GFS mid-range. More concerned about what GFS 00z is showing going into March (southerly tracking lows, good for the north, bad for the south), tbh...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

ECM meteograms are holding temperatures around average to slightly above in England and southern Scotland, only going below average really in the far north.

Reading:

image.thumb.png.6171b165bfa79b6c002f3f1af4522991.png

Newcastle:

image.thumb.png.73bbf00db4349404006c66f3bc454965.png

Edinburgh:

image.thumb.png.5084a9bbd9f0eb3c0f99f6d4192c16a1.png

Stornoway:

image.thumb.png.3904fc66b144774f3593fe91cca84504.png

You can really see that the cold signal is virtually non-existent away from the north of Scotland. Daily means averaging 5-6C in the south and 3-4C in the north are nothing particularly out of the ordinary for this time of year. Unfortunately the pattern does look very wet as well, which is the last thing we need right now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Not much cold to our east though to tap into 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

There's a risk of something cooler later next week, looks like a core of the polar vortex moves near to Scotland. 

I'd say there is a small chance of snow to lower elevations as the thicknesses are 522-524 widely. Think at this time of year 850 temps aren't fully accurate to record snowfall. Not an expert in this though. 

But I'm enjoying today, peaked just above 13 and it's pleasant. A few convective showers but nice to see spring nearby. 

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon 🙂

I suppose not too much to add as the outlook looks largely the same as said previously but I will add a few details, I want to focus on this low pressure system between Wednesday and Friday first of all, bit of uncertainty to the timing of the low pressure system but could give snowfall to levels down to 150-200 metres or so on the northern/northwest flank of the precipitation for a time as it travels northeast over northern parts, location yet to be determined near the time and this isn’t a certainty, in any particularly heavy bursts of precipitation, snowfall could creep down closer to 120-150 meters, but any accumulation reserved for ground above these values for the most part and unlikely to be significant away from the Scottish mountains if this scenario plays out with rain for the majority even here.

IMG_2864.thumb.jpeg.27531838d0ff6532b409e4d9cba3e187.jpeg
IMG_2865.thumb.jpeg.c3d1c13734ef0ad23d8597677912b9fd.jpeg

IMG_2866.thumb.jpeg.ad9d8a9a56e58a1b2d6aa067c8945e1e.jpeg

Elsewhere heavy rainfall sweeping east/northeast with blustery wintry showers following into the northwest on Thursday/Friday, though rain around coasts and mostly rain away from high ground in the north, small chance of weak thunderstorms, precipitation entirely as rain in the south at first though showers by next weekend could turn wintry over some hills of Wales and southwest England in heavy showers.
IMG_2871.thumb.jpeg.942e67e457040b47355fc01dfff9648f.jpeg

Driest weather for eastern Scotland, far Eastern England and southeastern England upto next weekend, though some rain here too on occasion especially by next weekend as another low pressure system sweeps across parts of the UK.

Gfs as an example..

IMG_2867.thumb.jpeg.36f038894cbe5180bedcdb57bf0232c9.jpeg

Temperatures average to slightly below average in places for this period upto end of next weekend.

We probably see a relaxation of the northwesterly beyond next weekend especially by the 27th as the high to our southwest moves closer to the southwest temporarily as hinted in previous couple of posts though this expected a couple days later, so should see slightly less unsettled conditions in the south for a time and a bit milder here, temperatures look like remaining around average or a little below in the north though but less so than the days preceding it with winds more westerly across the UK as a whole later 27th - 1sr March.

Take more more note of the high in the chart below, than wind direction as it seems a little off in accuracy for this time period in regards to that.

IMG_2868.thumb.jpeg.8860cbd8d40c53dfb33493cf580c033b.jpeg

Into first few days of March though and we could see a brief return to northwest winds as high amplification to our west strengthens, though a link up to Greenland from the mid Atlantic high at this stage is unlikely but not to be ruled out entirely. Temperatures may trend slightly below normal briefly for all with unsettled conditions widespread once again, relatively cold and cyclonic to end the month and beginning of March sums it up generally even with the relaxation of the colder pattern if it does occur. 🙂

But on balance I think this will be brief, before looking slightly further into the first week of March and after a likely cyclonic and relatively cold first couple of days for all, patterns are liable to stagnate even more in the mid Atlantic after the preceding stronger jet stream of late February, weak high pressure may form over Greenland and this should keep lows on a more southerly track but with heights increasing to our south/southeast as well later in the first week of March there’s an increasing chance of very mild or even fairly warm conditions moving into southern and eastern areas temporarily, partly driven by areas of unsettled weather moving steadily into western areas drawing up southerly winds, possibly giving the first 20c of the meteorological spring in the south and east of England along with drier though not completely dry conditions for these areas and overall staying very unsettled in the west and north, temperatures around average by then in the north.

IMG_2872.thumb.jpeg.f5eab0c478b0aca07835e3cf401b604f.jpeg

This could change as the reliability of models and my posts admittedly have tanked somewhat in some aspects of forecasts but I’ve got much more confidence with this outlook for early March than has been the case for a couple of weeks.

Will post another update on Wednesday regardless of any changes between now and then on the outlook but I suspect not much change will take place in these few days. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Penguin16 you have to go further and further east every year to get some lasting cold it would seem 🙄 miraculously it avoids most of Europe. 

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 1