Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wintry/snow reports

Matt B

Posted

Had a few beefy sleet/ hail/ snow showers around 2am, which gave a brief covering & temp was around 1.5oC, its now hovering around 2oC and its been having frequent rain showers.......this cold spells naff, how cold does it have to be to snow nowadays?!!! I live at 1000ft, and even on the moors higher up there aint any snow..Im dissapointed, but looking at various webcams, there isnt much anywhere else either! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Had a few beefy sleet/ hail/ snow showers around 2am, which gave a brief covering & temp was around 1.5oC, its now hovering around 2oC and its been having frequent rain showers.......this cold spells naff, how cold does it have to be to snow nowadays?!!! I live at 1000ft, and even on the moors higher up there aint any snow..Im dissapointed, but looking at various webcams, there isnt much anywhere else either! :wallbash:

Well that's strange because I've just had a 15 minute snow shower which was quite heavy for a time, although it only stuck on the grass. I can see Home Moss is already getting a covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Rain on and off here in Leeds which has a hint of sleet in the heavier bursts although, it is only a hint and seems to very quickly turn back to rain.

Posted
Well that's strange because I've just had a 15 minute snow shower which was quite heavy for a time, although it only stuck on the grass. I can see Home Moss is already getting a covering.

Well ive had a few sleet showers, but nothing worth getting over excited about, can't quite see Holme Moss from my bedroom window, but at nearly 2000ft up I can well believe you that there is some snow up there.....roll on the summer and the heatwave...I'd prefer that than a cold WET winter! hehe :wallbash:

Guest Viking141

Furher heavy snow shower which ended about 5 mins ago. Starting to lie now, patches of white here and there with slushy deposits. Temp now down to 1.9C,dewpoint 0C.

Posted

Heavy sleet (looked like wet clumps of graupel) here recently. Temp dropped from 2.7 to 1.8 in the last half hour. Dewpoint now at 0 - feels like -4.4!

Posted

Only the last vestiges of last night's cover remain on my "favoured" lawn. The tops of the dales look they got a decent cover, but even there it's patchy: looks like the "snow line" last night, certainly for settling, was around 800'. Ingleborough and Pen-y-Ghent remain shrouded, so I really can't tell what's happened up there, but they will have decent covers.

Posted
Heavy sleet (looked like wet clumps of graupel) here recently. Temp dropped from 2.7 to 1.8 in the last half hour. Dewpoint now at 0 - feels like -4.4!

Passing showers, on a hill, BD4

post-5156-1169381901_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Very windy overnight with heavy hail showers.

Today is still windy and showery, the showers have been potent with a mixture of hail in them.

Temps dropped 3c in the showers,down from 8c to 5c.

Posted

Intermittent snow showers here for the past hor. Started with ice pellets (always a favourable portent) at 3.4C, then suddenly turned to snow: big feathery flakes. No more than about 2 on Stratos's patent intensity scale. Temp down to 2.4C. Proper mP weather, at least on higher ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Intermittent snow showers here for the past hor. Started with ice pellets (always a favourable portent) at 3.4C, then suddenly turned to snow: big feathery flakes. No more than about 2 on Stratos's patent intensity scale. Temp down to 2.4C. Proper mP weather, at least on higher ground.

I think that wintry weather you're having is starting to filter its way through here in the heavier showers. 168m after all is not a major difference between snow and snow turning to rain, considering the rain may be falling at 10m/s in some parts. It'll explain the snow before if you are starting to get snow at your height

Update: some sleet now in the lighter showers, with ice pellets in the part of the heavier shower albeit very wet slushy ice pellets (either that or melting hail, but experience on Moel Famau has taught me that although similar there was just ice pellets)

Posted

Frequent Heavy sleet showers here, turns to proper snow at 500m but its still too wet to stick at that altitude. Sticking above 600m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Frequent Heavy sleet showers here, turns to proper snow at 500m but its still too wet to stick at that altitude. Sticking above 600m

Hywel, are you not getting snow in the heavier showers? :D

Odd setup!

Posted
Hywel, are you not getting snow in the heavier showers? :D

Odd setup!

No just Sleet here, it turned to wet Snow last night in the larger showers, been out for a walk on the Clwydians and its Sleet right up to 500m were it turns to wet Snow, nothing sticking up there though even on the top of Moel Famau :D

The Berwyns have a dusting above 600m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Well ive just been out into the peak district at around 300m+ and it was blizzard cconditionat times in the passing shower nothing really settled where i was at fox house but i could see over towards the surrounding hils around castleton and edale above about 400m there is a covering of snow at the moment. :D

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted

Been sleeting, snowing and hailing on and off all day so far up here.

I'm sure I've heard the odd crack of thunder thrown in here and there as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Really heavy hail shower here in Plymouth at the moment- with a couple heavy cracks of thunder to go with it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Snowing again - really big flakes this time. Just starting to settle (but will stop and melt before a covering is established I would guess). Pics aren't brilliant but they'll do.

Posted

I was surprised to see that Nth London had a 42% chance for today till I stuck my head outside. On the right you can see that the freeze level is not too far above ground.

Close but no cigar just yet I'm afraid... give it about a 4C drop in temps though.

post-2700-1169395651_thumb.jpg

Posted
I was surprised to see that Nth London had a 42% chance for today till I stuck my head outside. On the right you can see that the freeze level is not too far above ground.

Close but no cigar just yet I'm afraid... give it about a 4C drop in temps though.

That's not the freeze level so much as the level to which hail is falling before melting significantly. The freezing level will be above the cloud base today, probably by around 300m.

Still snowing / sleeting here, and a definite altitude effect. Just back from my run and down in the valley (around 600' below) it's straight rain. No snow until I was half way up the hill, around 600' ASL, and sleety snow at my elevation, though five minutes later as the shower cleared it was rain, and the briefly back to snow. Temp now 1.9C.

Posted

Jst had a heavy rain shower wich then turned to hail then sleet and now im reporting very heavy wet snow falling in Glanamman settling on the garn mountain and the black behind me so lets jst see about here tonight tem curently 0.6 *c so the snow might settle hwyl fawr dnt forget to sign my petition on Tywydd yn y gymraeg