Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wintry/snow reports

Matt B

Posted
I think that wintry weather you're having is starting to filter its way through here in the heavier showers. 168m after all is not a major difference between snow and snow turning to rain, considering the rain may be falling at 10m/s in some parts. It'll explain the snow before if you are starting to get snow at your height

Stephen: just seen this - in the "right" conditions 100m is about all you need: as I mention above, here in Stratosdale that difference is putting clear water between rain and snow. Assuming a dry air lapse the difference between me and the valley floor would be approach 2C, and it's close to that between me and you, plus, you're much closer to the sea, as the wind swings around NW you'll pick up the normal coastal modification.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Stephen: just seen this - in the "right" conditions 100m is about all you need: as I mention above, here in Stratosdale that difference is putting clear water between rain and snow. Assuming a dry air lapse the difference between me and the valley floor would be approach 2C, and it's close to that between me and you, plus, you're much closer to the sea, as the wind swings around NW you'll pick up the normal coastal modification.

True, its been raining eversince but I'll tell you what (and I should have taken a photo really), about 10 minutes ago in a heavy rain shower you could see streaks moving horizontally across the sky (in other words you could see the snow falling), I'm not sure what height this was, I'd say it was about 200-300m up (400m asl?) but it has melted into heavy thick rain blobs at our ground level.

A fantastic sight, and for a moment I thought it may lower, but alas it never and it was just rain here.

Posted

Very heavy Sleet here turning increasingly to Snow, temp dropped to 2.2C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Moderate snow here now and sticking dont know how long for though as I fell asleep this lunch time.

Posted
Where's that picture? Looks like the fields just before Kingswells?

Yeah wet snow falling here just before noon, should start to lie by this evening.

Its the view of the local riding stables out the back of my house, the valley is towards Farnley/Headingley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Turning heavier again and we just had some thunder so the first time that I can remember that theres been thundersnow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎
Very heavy snow no here in Dronfield north derbyshire finally the first snow of the winter :yahoo:

Here in Chesterfield it's just rain and sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
:yahoo: typical as soon as the showers look like they might cease for here, it starts snowing everywhere else ;)

Posted

Went out looking for snow this afternoon, loads around holme moss and snake pass. Just taken 2 hours to come back home. No messing, very heavy snow falling all the way back. We were down top 10 mph and it was a good 3 - 5 cm deep near fox house between sheffield and hathersage. Sleety snow in Sheffield city center itself but still putting slushy deposits down.

Posted
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides

Frequent heavy snow and hail showers in a strong northery wind

There is a solid cover 8 to 10 cm on the North Harris Mountains

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
Here in Chesterfield it's just rain and sleet.
Went out looking for snow this afternoon, loads around holme moss and snake pass. Just taken 2 hours to come back home. No messing, very heavy snow falling all the way back. We were down top 10 mph and it was a good 3 - 5 cm deep near fox house between sheffield and hathersage. Sleety snow in Sheffield city center itself but still putting slushy deposits down.

There was nothing at fox house earlier today but im not suprised there is 3-5cm now.

its turned back to sleet here now after giving us a very slushy cover of snow on the grass cars and paths and roads.

Posted

There was nothing at fox house earlier today but im not suprised there is 3-5cm now.

Yeah - Had to turn back on the way to Hathersage at about 4 due to the snow before Fox House. tried to do the same journey 3 years ago similar conditions and ended upside down in a field. Bottled it today. Sleety snow in sheff. snow at about 200m asl.

Edited by giddyblade

Posted

Wey Hey its SNOWING here in Rotherham , its also settling on cars, grass ...... kids have got thier noses pressed up against the window watching it fall in the street lamp .

I'm high up to the Eastern side of Rotherham .

Come on baby !!!!!

Guest Viking141

Sleet and snow showers this afternoon but quite wet. Dewpoint has now dropped below zero so heres hoping for some action later tonight!

:yahoo:

Posted

Snow now falling to all levels here. Starting to stick after 19mm of rain. Current temp here in my garden is 0.2. looks like the heavy band of precipitation isnt moving far and the cold air is really digging in.

Fox house road impassable according to teletext and Holme moss and woodhead now closed.