Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible 30c

Posted
It's been a reasonably warm sunny day in Cleadon but only 21.6C max. A bit surprising; I presume there must be a sea breeze.

Wow :angry: I must say that sounds suprisingly low Ian. That is just like a bog standard 2007 summers

day.

I would think about moving if I were you. I would say your location dosen't exactly quench the

thirst of a weather enthusiast

Brian B)

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted
well on this kent station they got 30.5

http://www.eastkentweather.co.uk/

As we saw yesterday with the readings on Tyneside, best to stick to official stations.

Yep, but is the London Weather Centre 'official' Steve? Can't recall exactly how the rules work on it.

Yep, LWC is an official station.

As we saw yesterday with the readings on Tyneside, best to stick to official stations.

Yep, LWC is an official station.

If thats the case then we have just made it over the line-

First day of the year with 30c- maybe the last..... :angry:

S

Its all downhill to winter from here on in...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

B) Roll on Winter 07/08 - the coldest and snowest ever :angry:

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

If thats the case then we have just made it over the line-

First day of the year with 30c- maybe the last..... :angry:

S

Yep. Sounds like the nail in the coffin that Steve. I doubt those temperatures will be breached

until 2008

Brian

Posted

It does appear that LWC counts as a offical site looking at the met office webpage with the temp reaching 30.3C at London, Coningsby in the East Midlands hit 29.4. Gravesend hit 29.2C with Charlwood.

Looks like the general temps were between 27-29C today in a reasonable chunk of England with the London heat island effect just about lifting the tmeps high enough for 30C...which I'm very happy about because it proves my call for 30C this weekend nearly a week ago correct!

Just reached 29C here today, still it was a hot day for sure tohugh it had been last July it would haven't been quite so noteable!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

If we hav'nt reached 30C officially today, then we may have one more chance in just over a week, however if we fair to reach it then, i will right it off personally.

Posted
It does appear that LWC counts as a offical site looking at the met office webpage with the temp reaching 30.3C at London, Coningsby in the East Midlands hit 29.4. Gravesend hit 29.2C with Charlwood.

Looks like the general temps were between 27-29C today in a reasonable chunk of England with the London heat island effect just about lifting the tmeps high enough for 30C...which I'm very happy about because it proves my call for 30C this weekend nearly a week ago correct!

Just reached 29C here today, still it was a hot day for sure tohugh it had been last July it would haven't been quite so noteable!

Yes I remember that Darren, but it still dosen't make up for what has been been a dysmal summer overall

It is astounding that some of us are getting excited about temps of 30c being broken.

Who would have thought that this is the kind of situation we would be facing this year.

Posted
LWC is not an officuial station (non-standard) and will not count as an official 30c this year. It will have had to hit it somewhere else. :)

I agree Spirit.

I always thought a Stevensonscreen had to be located around 2M above the ground to give an accurate reading. So how can the LWC be an official weather station when the stevenson screen is located on a roof top!.

Sorry but IMO the top temp today has been 29C.

Posted

It probably didn't get anywhere near 30C here in Cheddar, where I am at the moment,

but phew it was very hot indeed in the very strong sun!

Does anyone have any nearest observations to Cheddar (Bristol would be ok),

for the highest temperature? I reckon it could have hit 27 to 28 here.

Posted
It might be wise to await the official Met Office confirmations on today's temps.

Personal opinions are lovely, but it'll be interesting to see the facts.

I agree which is why I do not believe 30C has been reached until I hear otherwise.

Here is a link from the Met O about locating a stevenson screen, note how it says "away from buildings"

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/seco...bservation.html

I will be amazed if the Met O consider the LWC as being an official weather station.

Posted
I agree which is why I do not believe 30C has been reached until I hear otherwise.

Here is a link from the Met O about locating a stevenson screen, note how it says "away from buildings"

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/seco...bservation.html

I will be amazed if the Met O consider the LWC as being an official weather station.

Whilst I agree it's a non standard location I'd be surprised if the UKMO didn't consider it an official site, particularly as they list it in their standard reporting stations. Being screened on a roof top is probably far less significant than being located in central London.

London is also cited as having the max in the SE yesterday.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

I personally hope that 30 degrees hasn't been reached today, just because it is such a rarity these days for a summer to go by without this figure being reached and if any summer is going to do it then let it be this one. If the summer goes by without such a figure being reached I feel this would be very apt considering the poor synoptics we have had and would further cement in memory how poor a summer we have had.

Posted

We'll have to wait for all the figures to come in, and to solve arguments, I hope somewhere other than London Weather Centre hit 30C+.

Posted

Well, Dan Corbett on the main evening BBC1 forecast has just declared London at 30ºC. So there we have it :)

Posted
Whilst I agree it's a non standard location I'd be surprised if the UKMO didn't consider it an official site, particularly as they list it in their standard reporting stations. Being screened on a roof top is probably far less significant than being located in central London.

London is also cited as having the max in the SE yesterday.

Yes I agree Stratos. I'd like to hear more about their Stephenson screen. Is it not on feet?

Anyway, the BBC/Met Office are reporting that 30C was reached so unless I hear otherwise that's that. 30C has been reached.

(Shugge - snap lol)

Edited by West is Best

Posted

My location (near the Coast!?) meant we only saw 27 DgC today with 29 Dgc at the peak in the country about 7 miles inland.

But I'm not arguing as it has been glorious, can we just have a bit more please? d030.gif

Posted

I must say, isn't it ironic that this summer we are debating wheather a roof top clarifies as the only 30 degs to be recorded so far this year.....and probably the only one??

Right...winter anyone :)

KTtom :)

Edited by KTtom

Posted

By the way a stephenson screen should be located at 4ft or 1.3m. Not 2m.

As for LWC, I've never seen it as I would presume that 99% of people on here won't have seen it either, and you can bet it is far enough away from buildings, the right height above the floor surface etc, but being on a rooftop won't the equipment be sited over concrete/apshalt/whatever rooftops are made out of? And equipment shouldn't be sited above or next to a surface that absorbs and radiates heat.