Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible 30c

Posted
Not wanting to dissent but Newcastle, Norwich and Cambridge have all hit 27C

Are you sure about the Newcastle figure? It certainly wasn't expected to reach any higher than 22 or 23 degrees here, although it has felt warm in the sun this afternoon, I would be very surprised if this figure has been achieved...

Posted

Newcastle 13:00 27°C 15°C 48% 11mph n/a 26°C 1014mb

Posted
Could well be, cant find those weather stations though on the Met Office web site.

Norwich was showing 26C at 3pm on BBC feed. Have to agree with West though, has felt 'hot', not quite the dizzy heights of 'scorching' yet though.

Posted

I still don't believe these figures, can anyone else confirm that 27 degrees was reached today in Newcastle, weather online website says only 23 degrees.

Posted
I still don't believe these figures, can anyone else confirm that 27 degrees was reached today in Newcastle, weather online website says only 23 degrees.

I don't believe it either. Max temperature I got today was 24C...and with the onset of cloud in the afternoon, temps were pretty much pegged at that level.

Posted

What do you mean you don't believe them?! :lol:

They are the figures reported by Newcastle today - for all to see:

Newcastle 10:00 22°C 16°C 69% 8mph n/a 20°C 1014mb

Newcastle 11:00 22°C 15°C 64% 9mph n/a 20°C 1014mb

Newcastle 12:00 24°C 15°C 57% 13mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 14:00 23°C 14°C 57% 9mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 15:00 23°C 14°C 57% 9mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 16:00 20°C 14°C 68% 9mph n/a 17°C 1014mb

It is perhaps a bit odd how it jumps up to 27ºC at 13:00 then down to 23ºC an hour later - but thems the figures for that weather station today :)

Posted

Tees-side confirms your suspicions boys? Perhaps someone left the oven open at 13:00? :lol:

Tees-Side 10:00 23°C 17°C 69% 23mph n/a 18°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 11:00 23°C 17°C 69% 21mph n/a 19°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 12:00 23°C 17°C 69% 21mph n/a 19°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 13:00 23°C 17°C 69% 16mph n/a 19°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 14:00 22°C 17°C 73% 18mph n/a 18°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 15:00 22°C 16°C 69% 15mph n/a 18°C 1015mb

Tees-Side 16:00 21°C 16°C 73% 14mph n/a 17°C 1015mb

But we can't change the recorded data.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

well here on the coast it reached 24.1 so possible Newcastle city centre reached 27.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

While i still think maxima will be 28.*C this weekend, i was wondering if somebody could tell me whether i am looking at cloud or clear skies tommorow (Leeds)???

Guest Weatherguy1

Shugee maybe the figure was true. The only explanation i can give is that it was a mostly cloudy morning but by that time the clouds started to break and there was a large patch of blue sky until around 2 o clock when thick high level cloud covered it in so maybe it was that help the temperture to rocket and some sort of Fohen(Sp?) effect happened from the Pennines. If the observations are taken from Newcastle Airport then that figure could make sence.

Shugee maybe the figure was true. The only explanation i can give is that it was a mostly cloudy morning but by that time the clouds started to break and there was a large patch of blue sky until around 2 o clock when thick high level cloud covered it in so maybe it was that help the temperture to rocket and some sort of Fohen(Sp?) effect happened from the Pennines. If the observations are taken from Newcastle Airport then that figure could make sence.

Afternoon All-

Clearly the best day of the Summer so far in NW Kent- Crystal clear Skies & after all the rain & Murk of the last 6 weeks its been a welcome Change....

As for 30C - Well- With the official stations hitting 27C as the Max today I think it may be 'unlikely' to achieve another 3c rise tomorrow, especially if the cloud band to the NW progresses into the SE in the morning tomorrow-

If there was a station with half a chance I would go for Gravsend - purely because its the closest proximity to the hottest 850 Air & looks like staying sunny for the longest period-

I would go for 60/40 against......

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Hi Weatherguy1 welcome to NW - could you put your location in your avater please so we know where you are from :lol: .

I think thats possible and like you said the clouds did break at 1 ish and seemed to fill back in an hour later so maybe that how the temperture rose today? And usually this side of the pennines is warmer when the winds go across them so maybe that effect got something as you said?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Hi Weatherguy1 welcome to NW - could you put your location in your avater please so we know where you are from :lol: .

I think thats possible and like you said the clouds did break at 1 ish and seemed to fill back in an hour later so maybe that how the temperture rose today? And usually this side of the pennines is warmer when the winds go across them so maybe that effect got something as you said?

To be fair, the Fhon effect can create quite a big temperature anomoly so you may be on to something there, even so does seem like a big jump in an hour, strange that it was recorded when the sun was very hot. Also Its the old problem of location, inevitably a city centre station will always produce higher temps the one thats stuck out in the sticks nr an RAF base.

Posted
The official max in the southwest was 22.8C. However, the point was that it was absolutely boiling in the sun. It was horribly hot in Exeter (for me). The equivalent in Feb would be windchill. You can have a nominal temp of 3C but with windchill it can be metaphorically 'absolutely freezing' making it 'feel like' -5C or lower.

I very much agree with this and it affects night-time temperatures for sleeping as well. I found last night very comfortable despite a minimum of 15.8C with very high humidity. The night before was down to 11C but sweltering to sleep in. The difference? There was no sun yesterday to bake my room all day! I notice this even in early spring, around April.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening NL

Newcastle airports weather station recorded 27c

I myself recorded 26.3c and im about 2 metro stops from the City , the airport is around 6 mile to the East of me

nigel

Posted

Max temp of 27C today thoguh Newcastle is suspect given all other stations around it have recorded between 20-23C generally and I'm having a tough time seeing Newcastle being 4C higher then any other stations, its a real outlier compared to surrounding stations.

As for tomorrow its going to be a very close call, max temps will be between 29-30C IMO but it really all does depend on the speed of the frontal system, its a close call though but I think we may just sneak it.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
To be fair, the Fhon effect can create quite a big temperature anomoly so you may be on to something there, even so does seem like a big jump in an hour, strange that it was recorded when the sun was very hot. Also Its the old problem of location, inevitably a city centre station will always produce higher temps the one thats stuck out in the sticks nr an RAF base.

It is a big jump but tempertures can drop as quick just as easily. I honesty think its the fhon effect because it was cloudy for most of the morning and the temp was recorded at about 23C but as soon as the sun came out it risen(and coinscidently when the sun went in when the temp dropped again). If stormchaser said Newcastle Airport recorded 27C maybe its true but i don't know if they got the observation there or somewhere else in Newcastle. Must admit where i was did not felt 27C but i was slightly higher up at the time.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Tonights 18z is not showing temps anywhere near 30c around the UK tomorrow afternoon, I suspect that at the end of the day we will see a degree or possibly two up from todays values. Noticed there was quite a breeze blowing today that did not feel particularly warm in spite of unbroken sunshine and temps of 25/26c but making things just right. :lol:

Edit. Noticed that SM is also going for Gravesend to achieve tomorrows highest temperature, be interesting since tomorrows highest temp could also turn out to be the highest temp for the whole of Summer 2007 if we do get near the 30c.

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Tonights 18z is not showing temps anywhere near 30c around the UK tomorrow afternoon, I suspect that at the end of the day we will see a degree or possibly two up from todays values. Noticed there was quite a breeze blowing today that did not feel particularly warm in spite of unbroken sunshine and temps of 25/26c but making things just right. :lol:

Thats the reason not to take the GFS temp charts literally.. for example GFS predicted 24 as a max today whereas it was 27

Posted
Thats the reason not to take the GFS temp charts literally.. for example GFS predicted 24 as a max today whereas it was 27

I certainly interpret the 850s - rather than use the GFS max-min charts - when I produce the CET projections; the lapse rate can be anything +/- 3-4C depending on broader atmospheric conditions. 30C tomorrow is right at the margin of the possible based on the latest GFS, which suggest a surface of 26-27C, and whilst there's a few comments noting the jump from today, the significantly higher overnight minima tonight mean we're starting from a much higher base tomorrow. It's possible, in slow moving air, and if it stays sunny, that somewhere around London will nudge 30C. Personally I'd favour either Heathrow or somewhere in SW E Anglia.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well it's midnight here and it's 18C on the back of a not very note worthy day temp wise so the SE I reckon will clock close to 30C tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I don't believe it either. Max temperature I got today was 24C...and with the onset of cloud in the afternoon, temps were pretty much pegged at that level.

I'm sceptical as well- I got no higher than 23C today (though it was still the warmest day of the year so far here!). The winds were blowing from the land and not the North Sea, so I wouldn't have expected the coastal strip to be cooler than inland; if anything a slight fohn effect comes into play during windy westerly spells and gives us slightly higher maxima than at, say, Durham.

It could have shot up in sunshine, but 4C higher?!

Posted
Max temp of 27C today thoguh Newcastle is suspect given all other stations around it have recorded between 20-23C generally and I'm having a tough time seeing Newcastle being 4C higher then any other stations, its a real outlier compared to surrounding stations.

As for tomorrow its going to be a very close call, max temps will be between 29-30C IMO but it really all does depend on the speed of the frontal system, its a close call though but I think we may just sneak it.

A few private stations in the vicinty touched 27+ kold. I've seen data from Hartlepool and Houghton-le-Spring both at 27C plus. The hartlepool peak was around 11am, H-l-S was aroud 2:30, the same sort of time window that Newcastle hit its high mark.

London hit 27C today, and it's still 20C now, around 3C up on this time last night.

I'm sceptical as well- I got no higher than 23C today (though it was still the warmest day of the year so far here!). The winds were blowing from the land and not the North Sea, so I wouldn't have expected the coastal strip to be cooler than inland; if anything a slight fohn effect comes into play during windy westerly spells and gives us slightly higher maxima than at, say, Durham.

It could have shot up in sunshine, but 4C higher?!

The UKMO readings are giving Loftus the top spot yesterday, 23.4C. Either it's provisional, or they've discounted Newcastle a/p for some reason. Interesting given the other readings I've seen in the area up at that (27C) level.

Posted

Tomorrow reminds me of the 10th August 2003 (but 10 degrees cooler)

Front pushing in on the remains of a tropical storm, heat holding on in the south east. Might come down to timing - In 2003 temps peaked at 1.45pm, who knows whether we might have seen 40C if the front had not push cloud across the south east at that time.

Could hit 30C tomorrow but i think the rain band will organise and push in before that happens.