They are the figures reported by Newcastle today - for all to see:

Newcastle 10:00 22°C 16°C 69% 8mph n/a 20°C 1014mb

Newcastle 11:00 22°C 15°C 64% 9mph n/a 20°C 1014mb

Newcastle 12:00 24°C 15°C 57% 13mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 13:00 27°C 15°C 48% 11mph n/a 26°C 1014mb

Newcastle 14:00 23°C 14°C 57% 9mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 15:00 23°C 14°C 57% 9mph n/a 21°C 1014mb

Newcastle 16:00 20°C 14°C 68% 9mph n/a 17°C 1014mb

It is perhaps a bit odd how it jumps up to 27ºC at 13:00 then down to 23ºC an hour later - but thems the figures for that weather station today :)

Interesting that the wet bulb didn't follow the dry bulb up; maybe it was faulty instrumentation after all. Wet wouldn't have to follow dry necessarily, but given that there's been no air mass change during the day, and Rh has generally been high 50s - 60s, it looks suspicious.

Tomorrow reminds me of the 10th August 2003 (but 10 degrees cooler)

Front pushing in on the remains of a tropical storm, heat holding on in the south east. Might come down to timing - In 2003 temps peaked at 1.45pm, who knows whether we might have seen 40C if the front had not push cloud across the south east at that time.

Could hit 30C tomorrow but i think the rain band will organise and push in before that happens.

Bracknell still prog the front well west of London even at midnight, and since it's a cold front there'll be no big plume of cloud in advance. It would need to really push on much more dramatically than forecast to spoil things tomorrow Stu, and though the trough in the jet does start to move tomorrow, it's still slow going.

Posted
I'm sceptical as well- I got no higher than 23C today (though it was still the warmest day of the year so far here!). The winds were blowing from the land and not the North Sea, so I wouldn't have expected the coastal strip to be cooler than inland; if anything a slight fohn effect comes into play during windy westerly spells and gives us slightly higher maxima than at, say, Durham.

It could have shot up in sunshine, but 4C higher?!

I got 21.8º here, can't see how PP got 24?

A few private stations in the vicinty touched 27+ kold. I've seen data from Hartlepool and Houghton-le-Spring both at 27C plus. The hartlepool peak was around 11am, H-l-S was aroud 2:30, the same sort of time window that Newcastle hit its high mark.

London hit 27C today, and it's still 20C now, around 3C up on this time last night.

The UKMO readings are giving Loftus the top spot yesterday, 23.4C. Either it's provisional, or they've discounted Newcastle a/p for some reason. Interesting given the other readings I've seen in the area up at that (27C) level.

Hartlepool and Houghton Le Spring massively overead. I've seen that Houghton one recording about 29 degrees when its 15! Simple answer.....sensors in the sunshine.

Incidentally, Ferryhill 5 miles from me also recorded 21.8 max today, same as mine.

I do not believe that anywhere in the North East recorded a true temperature above 23/24.

Posted

Several stations already upto 20C with one station upto 21C at 8.30, so looking like we could see some high maxes today though its still borderline whether we'll hit 30C because while we are about 1C up on the same time yesterday maxes were 27C yesterday and so we need to gain a bigger gap so to speak. Interestingly temps at the present appear to be 1C lower then the 0z GFS for the same time.

Posted
I certainly interpret the 850s - rather than use the GFS max-min charts - when I produce the CET projections; the lapse rate can be anything +/- 3-4C depending on broader atmospheric conditions. 30C tomorrow is right at the margin of the possible based on the latest GFS, which suggest a surface of 26-27C, and whilst there's a few comments noting the jump from today, the significantly higher overnight minima tonight mean we're starting from a much higher base tomorrow. It's possible, in slow moving air, and if it stays sunny, that somewhere around London will nudge 30C. Personally I'd favour either Heathrow or somewhere in SW E Anglia.

I also use the 850's - a much better guide imho.

I was just about to write that I'm not convinced we'll see 30C when I've noticed the 9.00 am temps. We are over 2C up on yesterday: 21C wasn't reached until 9.30 yesterday. Today at 9.00 we already have 23.4C and 23.2C. 30C is suddenly looking very much odds-on. As a matter of interest, would 30C at the London Weather Centre count ...?

Also much wider sunshine base today so should see a lot of places exceeding 25C (again, or not, as the case may be).

Edited by West is Best

Posted
I'm sceptical as well- I got no higher than 23C today (though it was still the warmest day of the year so far here!). The winds were blowing from the land and not the North Sea, so I wouldn't have expected the coastal strip to be cooler than inland; if anything a slight fohn effect comes into play during windy westerly spells and gives us slightly higher maxima than at, say, Durham.

It could have shot up in sunshine, but 4C higher?!

Who knows, it probably was a faulty reading and i don't know weather the location it was observed had sun which caused the temperture rised and once its went back in it dropped. Its ashame because we will probably never know weather that will be a true reading now.

Back to today BBC weather are saying Cambridge could get the highest temp today of 31C so hopefully 30+ will be broken and i don't just mean in London because that will be nothing special.

Posted

I can't see any reason really now why 30C can't be hit or breached somewhere today. Temperatures are soaring, and with sunny skies and hours of heating ahead, I think its odds on personally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I think its entirely possible that Cambridge or anywhere slightly more inland in East Anglia could reach, or exceed, 30 today. Its very hot outside now and hours yet for temps to continue climbing. Difficult night ahead for sleeping though.

Posted
I think its entirely possible that Cambridge or anywhere slightly more inland in East Anglia could reach, or exceed, 30 today. Its very hot outside now and hours yet for temps to continue climbing. Difficult night ahead for sleeping though.

I certainly feel 30C is possible today especially as 9.30am temps are some 3C warmer than yesterday.

Cambridge is certainly a likely location to reach 30C today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
I can't see any reason really now why 30C can't be hit or breached somewhere today. Temperatures are soaring, and with sunny skies and hours of heating ahead, I think its odds on personally.

Hi Paul, I agree with this.

Hi Laura, I suspect somewhere around here (Haverhill) will reach 30C today, I'm 17 miles east of Cambridge. As you say, it's very warm already, temperatures will probably hit 25 in the next hour.

Mammatus :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Here we go, both Gravesend and London are already above 23c (9am) Without a doubt hotest day of the year coming up! :lol:

Edited by snowray

Posted

Well 25C breached at 10.00 am in lots of places. A 30C must be very likely somewhere I think.

(Snowray - check out temperature links on weatheronline.co.uk - pretty accurate and fast updates)

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Well 25C breached at 10.00 am in lots of places. A 30C must be very likely somewhere I think.

(Snowray - check out temperature links on weatheronline.co.uk - pretty accurate and fast updates)

Indeed, up to 25c at 10 am, could we be seeing a 31c or even a 32c somewhere today?....Would make the GFS temp forecasts extremely out of sync, even more so then normal!

Posted

BBC weather forecast this morning gave 31c for Cambridge and a 30c for Peterborough.

Posted

Cambridge has just hit 26C at 10.30 which is 5C warmer than at the same time yesterday!.

We could actually surpass 30C and reach 31C at this rate :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup 30C is a definite today me thinks. 31C was predicted by the Met on one or two places this morning. For us 25C maybe possible I'm watching with interest.

Posted
Yup 30C is a definite today me thinks. 31C was predicted by the Met on one or two places this morning. For us 25C maybe possible I'm watching with interest.

Cambridge at 10.50 was 27c :o A 1c jump in 20 mins!

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

I'm sure 30c will be easily exceeded somewhere today. It's so hot here already in the East Mids that I feel 30c will be hit anytime this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Anyway, overnight 3/4 August I recorded a minimum of 18.3C, which (I think) is the highest minimum I've recorded since I started taking weather records. Last night fell no lower than 16.6C, which is notably high also but I have recorded higher minima in other summers.

It feels pretty hot here in Cleadon now but I'm only getting 20.6C. A max of around 23 seems likely again, maybe 24.

Posted

Well today it was 20c by 8am and 23c by 9am down here. I remember days last year and the year before were it was 24c by 9am and the MAX on those days rose over 30c. So I live in hope! Smashing day so far though! :o :o :help:

Posted
24c here already. Too warm. Bring back the rain and cold.

I'm plastering and it's absolutely boiling. Well it's a nice change I guess, but by 'eck it's scorchin'. 27C's at 11.00 and 11.30 am so I reckon we should see a 30C around 1pm or 1.30 pm

Edited by West is Best

Posted

at the moment its 27.4 in ipswich

looking for thunderstorms!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :help:

Edited by tinybill

Posted

your never happy Magpie! hehe :o

28c in Cambridge recorded just before noon! :help: