Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible 30c

Posted
Thanks Stephen - exactly where I'm coming from.

Yes I have noticed that too. I was moaning myself recently that the weather was too warm and

uncomfortable and the temps never passed 21c.

If you are working outside it is even more noticable IMO. The lack of fresh air has been awful lately

and it is very dry and dusty too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Yes I have noticed that too. I was moaning myself recently that the weather was too warm and

uncomfortable and the temps never passed 21c.

If you are working outside it is even more noticable IMO. The lack of fresh air has been awful lately

and it is very dry and dusty too.

Ive noticed the dust too. Yep lovely moisture collecting around dust particles, where do they end up? on your car!! :lol:

Must be difficult for people with allergy intolerance though!

Posted
Ive noticed the dust too. Yep lovely moisture collecting around dust particles, where do they end up? on your car!! :lol:

Must be difficult for people with allergy intolerance though!

Yes I know exactly what you mean Steve. :)

My first job during yesterday morning was to wash all the dust off the car.

I leathered it and then waxed it. then just when I was admiring my handy work from the kitchen window, I could

see a huge cloud of dust from a gust of wind that landed directly on my car :lol:

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Yes I know exactly what you mean Steve. :)

My first job during yesterday morning was to wash all the dust off the car.

I leathered it and then waxed it. then just when I was admiring my handy work from the kitchen window, I could

see a huge cloud of dust from a gust of wind that landed directly on my car :lol:

Its irritating, I went out into the back yard at work (working in a warehouse), and loads of dust went in my eyes, it hurt, thats on top of the place being an environmental disaster :lol: :)

Posted
It can feel hot without actually being hot statistically. If you're sheltered from any wind and in direct sunlight at this time of year it does feel 'hot' as the sun is 'hot' as it's summer. That's what WIB means I'm sure. I don't think there's anything more irritating on these forums than smart alec weather fans needing everything to be proved statistically- if it feels hot it feels hot, you have no idea about the circumstances of this perceived 'heat'.

Yes you are right in sunshine it can feel very pleasant as can a max of only 7C in April if you have light winds & sunshine.

However WIB didn't use the word hot but posted on this "possible 30C" thread that today was absolutely boiling. This I feel is an OTT statement to make and im sure if I described a max temp of 5C in Feb as being freezing he would quickly pull me up about this.

This summer has been so dreadfully poor that temps of +20C may actually feel warmer than they actually are because we haven't been used to hot temps this year. I have noticed this through the years because usually during April/May when temps reach 23/24C this usually feels very hot at first but when these temps occur during July/August they just feel like warm days rather than hot days. The same thing happened when I first went abroad because the first few days I struggled to cope with +30C temps but by the end of the week I didn't think anything of them and had become acclimatized.

Still I don't think we need to worry about getting used to hot temps because I have just seen FI on the 18Z :lol: . Only 27 days left till Autumn im afraid!.

Posted
However WIB didn't use the word hot but posted on this "possible 30C" thread that today was absolutely boiling. This I feel is an OTT statement

Still I don't think we need to worry about getting used to hot temps because I have just seen FI on the 18Z :lol: . Only 27 days left till Autumn im afraid!.

The official max in the southwest was 22.8C. However, the point was that it was absolutely boiling in the sun. It was horribly hot in Exeter (for me). The equivalent in Feb would be windchill. You can have a nominal temp of 3C but with windchill it can be metaphorically 'absolutely freezing' making it 'feel like' -5C or lower.

Your last sentence is a complete wind-up, which is in character. If someone posted that at the beginning of February with such evident relish and glee they would be banned ...

Anyway, thick cloud in Devon today and definitely not hot!

The dust has been amazing here too. Anyone else also got a plague of mosquitoes?!

Edited by West is Best

Posted

I still think 30C could be hit somewhere tomorrow as long as the cold front doesn't sweep to oquickly eastwards but it could end up being quite close run thing. Maxes today I suspect getting upto 28C locally then tomorrow upto 30C but as I said thats not certain, probably going to be 50-50 for that.

Anyway tmeps at 09.00 generally between 18-20C which is broadly in line with the GFS output for then and also close to the Beeb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Yes you are right in sunshine it can feel very pleasant as can a max of only 7C in April if you have light winds & sunshine.

However WIB didn't use the word hot but posted on this "possible 30C" thread that today was absolutely boiling. This I feel is an OTT statement to make and im sure if I described a max temp of 5C in Feb as being freezing he would quickly pull me up about this.

This summer has been so dreadfully poor that temps of +20C may actually feel warmer than they actually are because we haven't been used to hot temps this year. I have noticed this through the years because usually during April/May when temps reach 23/24C this usually feels very hot at first but when these temps occur during July/August they just feel like warm days rather than hot days. The same thing happened when I first went abroad because the first few days I struggled to cope with +30C temps but by the end of the week I didn't think anything of them and had become acclimatized.

Yes agree with the acclimatising view. For the same reason a 15c day in spring feels much warmer than a 15c day in autumn (and possibly amplified by an extreme winter/summer beforehand). It'd only take 3 or 4 days of temps of 25c for you to become used to it so don't agree with your last point despite some of the poor outlooks in the models at the mo. We can easily get 25c days for another 2 months yet (admittedly it'd be unlikely by October but still possible).

Alas all of it is perception based. My colleague (who comes from Cameroon) and my missus are very often cold and inconsistantly so. It can be 15c and I'll be 'allowed' to open the window but the week after it might be 19c but opening the window recieves much complaint! Even if you exclude all the climatic variables (humidity, sunshine, wind) you've got the human variables (tiredness - which makes you cold, mood, clothing materials/layers, how much in the mood for an argument.....).

Posted
Yes agree with the acclimatising view.

We reckoned it took about 6 weeks to get acclimatised in the Congo. The real problem there wasn't the raw temperature statistic, which varied little between 27C and 33C but the humidity which was just horrendous: over 90% day and night. Which is more support for Stephen Prudence's point.

Anyway, 24C's coming in at 12.30 so may see a 27C today or possibly more.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not here as its overcast with only little bits of sunshine. 22.4c with no change at present.

Posted
Not here as its overcast with only little bits of sunshine. 22.4c with no change at present.

Same here. Big difference under our cloud blanket. The south-east is getting distinctly hot with 25C topped at 13.00. Just south-east of you in Cambridge 25C has also been reached. Hopefully the locals will be happy with this.

Posted

Well its 24C here. Not many sunny periods tho and increasing cloud and wind, only hazy intermittent sunshine...thus I don't think the temp will rise much further.

Posted
West Midlanders though ... the east in the sun is a real contrast. It's very grey here, albeit humid. But the south-east is roasting.

25C - 2-3C above normal

Hardly roasting - quite a stiff breeze taking the edge off how it feels too

Posted

26C's coming in at 14h00 so should probably get a 27C today, perhaps a tenth or two higher. Beeb going for 29C tomorrow.

Edit: 27C in Newcastle at 14.30, and even 26C at Cambridge. Hang out the flags and celebrate on that one ...!

With 27C reached already it may well nudge up a degree still I guess. Peak is often about 15.30 I think?

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

As expected Gravesend and London have the highests temps so far this afternoon (3pm), both above 26c.

Posted
Not wanting to dissent but Newcastle, Norwich and Cambridge have all hit 27C

Tomorrow should be the hottest day of the year so far - not sure about 30C - maybe too much cloud around

Edited by Stu_London

Posted
Tomorrow should be the hottest day of the year so far - not sure about 30C - maybe too much cloud around

Interestingly it's been a bit higher that I thought - both Sky and BBC are now suggesting a 30C tomorrow. I think it'll fall just short, but we'll see! It's now cleared up here completely: glorious sunshine back again. Hot though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Not wanting to dissent but Newcastle, Norwich and Cambridge have all hit 27C

Could well be, cant find those weather stations though on the Met Office web site.

Posted

Only 24C here in Peterborough although im a little suspect of this temperature.

As I have said before the Peterborough weather station is based 20miles away in the countryside of Lincs (RAF Wittering). Now im pretty sure the Cambridge station is based near the city itself and im sure if the Peterborough weather station was based in the city we would record much higher temps.