Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Annual CET - 2008

Stu_London

Posted

Thanks Stu. :)

Provisionally, 9.2. Coldest year since 1996. I may well change this in a week or two. but at this stage I'm thinking Jan-March will be cool and we're in for another poor summer.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
-I personally think that we may end up with a year close to if not below the 10C mark

Then you'd be very foolish :)

10.66c for me please.

How I got to this figure (figures may not be used in the individual CET threads)

January; 3.3c

February; 5.5c

March; 6.9c

April; 9.0c

May; 13.0c

June; 14.8c

July; 15.5c

August; 15.4c

September; 14.8c

October; 12.2c

November; 10.0c

December; 7.6c

we're in for another poor summer.

Going by trends the summer doesn't look like it'll have much summery potential. But I don't think it'll be poor, cool and sunny with winds mainly from the North and West.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A very difficult thing to answer, so i won't make a punt quite yet...

However, with the combination of a weak to moderate La Nina event and a -QBO, i do expect the January to March period to average around 1C below average, though with both values weakening, i would expect below average rainfall. The April to June period is a different story, with a strengthening +QBO and La Nina continuing to weaken to neutral values, this period is likely to contain some wild swings in temperature however with warmth winning out during May and June, this period is likely to see temperatures around 0.5C above average, once again, with below average rainfall. The July to September period is likely to see a stagnat neutral ENSO signal, coupled with a declining but moderate +QBO, this to me indicates temperatures around 0.5C above average, but slightly above average rainfall. The October to December period is once again likely to see a neutral ENSO signal, coupled with a declining but moderate +QBO, this to me indicates temperatures around 0.5C above average, but slightly above average rainfall, however with the ENSO fluctuating more, this is likely to lead to some extremes, with dry periods followed by very wet periods.

For the year as a whole, i would expect precipitation to average around average, however i would expect temperatures to average around 0.5C above average, or a figure around 10.3C (0.3C margin of error)

Posted

Well the 9.9C I predicted for 2007 got well and truly spanked. Will we ever see another sub 10C year again?

My thoughts are that this year will have an average first half and a very warm second half.

10.9C

Edited by eddie

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

10.4C me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'l go for 10.1C thanks :doh:

Posted

9.2 for me please thing's are changing

;P

Posted
Then you'd be very foolish :p

10.66c for me please.

How I got to this figure (figures may not be used in the individual CET threads)

January; 3.3c

February; 5.5c

March; 6.9c

April; 9.0c

May; 13.0c

June; 14.8c

July; 15.5c

August; 15.4c

September; 14.8c

October; 12.2c

November; 10.0c

December; 7.6c

Going by trends the summer doesn't look like it'll have much summery potential. But I don't think it'll be poor, cool and sunny with winds mainly from the North and West.

Interesting that you think Sep 08 - Dec 08 will be the warmest Sep-Dec ever. I think your predictions for the period to August are very plausible however

Posted

Jan - 3.5C

Feb - 4.6C

Mar - 7.0C

Apr - 8.8C

May - 12.6C

Jun - 14.8C

Jul - 17.6C

Aug - 16.5C

Sep - 14.5C

Oct - 11.6C

Nov - 9.5C

Dec - 5.8C

Annual CET: 10.57

Winter staying with the close to average theme, followed by a return to warmth with a very warm spring and above average summer. I think one month will challenge a record and I've picked November, basically because it hasn't been exceptionally mild for a while!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Jan - 3.5C

Feb - 4.6C

Mar - 7.0C

Apr - 8.8C

May - 12.6C

Jun - 14.8C

Jul - 17.6C

Aug - 16.5C

Sep - 14.5C

Oct - 11.6C

Nov - 9.5C

Dec - 5.8C

Annual CET: 10.57

Winter staying with the close to average theme, followed by a return to warmth with a very warm spring and above average summer. I think one month will challenge a record and I've picked November, basically because it hasn't been exceptionally mild for a while!

Just wondering where you got those values from Duncan ???

Posted
Just wondering where you got those values from Duncan ???

Mainly guesswork PIT, but I've taken account of the fact that I think this near-average spell will continue for sometime, the year will be well above average and that there'll be one near-record month (which I don't think will be in the winter).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

9.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Give me a call when Mt. Toba erupts.

--

I willl share the wisdom nearer the time, but seriously...to see numbers below 10.0, :smiliz23:

Calrissian: Having a woodland critters christmas

It's not that much under 10, If we have a average Jan and Feb then under 10 is not out of the question.