Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

July CET

Posted
CET not based on one location

About 24c here in city of london , very warm. Some cloud but mainly blue skies

It's not that great for London, average July day should achieve 23c.

22.2c at the moment after a cool 10.5c last night. Typical pre 90s summer day.

Posted
It's not that great for London, average July day should achieve 23c.

22.2c at the moment after a cool 10.5c last night. Typical pre 90s summer day.

I have to say it's been disappointing in London today given what we were promised. 23C at 1600hrs in London and much cloudier than forecast. It doesn't even feel especially warm.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Today and Tomorrow should push CET back up a bit however Wednesday and Thursday should cancel those gains out again.

Interesting contrast in comments about London weather and temps.

Posted
CET not based on one location

About 24c here in city of london , very warm. Some cloud but mainly blue skies

Well for Manley that CET didn't rise yesterday - Still 15.0.

Posted
Well for Manley that CET didn't rise yesterday - Still 15.0.

In fact it moved from a flat 15 to 15 rounded up from 14.95 - so its possible Hadley will drop 0.1 to 15.1 if it recorded similar temps....(although I don't know where Hadley sits relative to 15.2 as things stand)

Posted
In fact it moved from a flat 15 to 15 rounded up from 14.95 - so its possible Hadley will drop 0.1 to 15.1 if it recorded similar temps....(although I don't know where Hadley sits relative to 15.2 as things stand)

Clearly it didn't record similar temps as hadley has risen slightly to 15.3 to the 14th. Downward correction at month end possible given the difference.

Looking like a 15s finish and it will be a below average first half of summer (by a reasonable margain)

Posted
Clearly it didn't record similar temps as hadley has risen slightly to 15.3 to the 14th. Downward correction at month end possible given the difference.

Looking like a 15s finish and it will be a below average first half of summer (by a reasonable margain)

Hadley actually rose by 0.06C from 5.22C to 5.28C. So although its rounded up, the actual amount is minor.

Yesterday was still marginally below average at 16.1C.

Posted
Data for 01 July 2008 to 12 July 2008

Hadley - http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

15.3C (-0.6C)

Manley - http://www.climate-uk.com/index.html

15.0C (-1.1C)

updated to 15th July 2008

Hadley 15.5C (-0.4C)

Manley 15.2C (-1.0C)

Posted

Shouldn't be any more rises this week (if anything the CET may drop back a bit towards the weekend) but the the chance of a fairly substantial rise next week. However, I don't forsee the CET ending up far from the average, tbh.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Shouldn't be any more rises this week (if anything the CET may drop back a bit towards the weekend) but the the chance of a fairly substantial rise next week. However, I don't forsee the CET ending up far from the average, tbh.

I would'nt be so sure, the CET looks to remain pretty stagnant from now until the 21st, possibly dropping back a little even, however the heat of next week looks confined to the 22nd-24th with a return to the status-quo afterward, i personally, would be very suprised if we reached 16C by the end of the month, and i would suggest that a CET around 15.5C is much more likely.

Posted

If we're at 15.5C by the 21st, then we'll require the last 10 days to average 18.6C to hit the 1971-2000 mean. That would be quite a heatwave and isnt something that the models are hinting at at the moment. While it looks like it'll be an above average final 10 days, the northerly of the coming weekend is quite potent for July. I imagine 16C is a good landing area right now.

Posted

With a bit of a cooldown on the cards for the next 3 days it does seem now that we are very much only likely to end up just above average at the very best CET wise. I would put an upper limit of 16.8 degrees. It is going to take a sustained very warm spell/hot spell to do this and whilst not beyond the realms of possibility I think I would be more wisened to say 16 degrees is a good benchmark. This would mean 2 summer months not reaching the 1970-2000 average.

Posted
With a bit of a cooldown on the cards for the next 3 days it does seem now that we are very much only likely to end up just above average at the very best CET wise. I would put an upper limit of 16.8 degrees. It is going to take a sustained very warm spell/hot spell to do this and whilst not beyond the realms of possibility I think I would be more wisened to say 16 degrees is a good benchmark. This would mean 2 summer months not reaching the 1970-2000 average.

It wouldn't just take a very warm spell/hot spell to bring us up to 16.8C, it would take a sustained very hot spell, which is not looking likely. I think we can forget 16.8C.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
It wouldn't just take a very warm spell/hot spell to bring us up to 16.8C, it would take a sustained very hot spell.....

Um, get your reading glasses out, Nick, that's exactly what Damian said too!?

Posted
It wouldn't just take a very warm spell/hot spell to bring us up to 16.8C, it would take a sustained very hot spell, which is not looking likely. I think we can forget 16.8C.

Yes agree to get 16.8 degrees would require a consistent hot spell for the remainder of the month from Monday onwards, very very slim chance of this occuring it is the maximum upper limit. As I stated 16 degrees is probably a more realistic upper limit meaning a below average CET is looking more and more likely.

Posted
Data for 01 July 2008 to 12 July 2008

Hadley - http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

15.3C (-0.6C)

Manley - http://www.climate-uk.com/index.html

15.0C (-1.1C)

Up to 16th July 2008

Hadley 15.5C (-0.4C)

Manley 15.2C (-1.0C)

I make the 16th halfway through summer, so a below average first half on both measures.

Posted
Up to 16th July 2008

Hadley 15.5C (-0.4C)

Manley 15.2C (-1.0C)

I make the 16th halfway through summer, so a below average first half on both measures.

Yes, and to add to the chilly theme, with July likely to end up below average that will be 4 consecutive summer months below average and likely below the 61-90 average at that. Could be Sept 2006 since any month exceeded 16.

Likely landing zone for me 15.0 to 16.0 upper end - no sign of a prolonged hot spell on the cards, if the mini warm up next week misses, I think nearer 15 more likely as Hadley may well downgrade a couple tenths again this month given the discrepancy showing.

Posted
Um, get your reading glasses out, Nick, that's exactly what Damian said too!?

No, Damian said it would need a "sustained very warm spell/hot spell" to achieve a 16.8°C return. I said it would need a "sustained very hot spell".

In order of progessive warmth: very warm----->hot------->very hot.

Yours pedantically,

N.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
No, Damian said it would need a "sustained very warm spell/hot spell" to achieve a 16.8°C return. I said it would need a "sustained very hot spell".

Sorry, Nick, you're quite right. On a quick reading I had thought it was the lack of "sustained" you were questioning in Damian's post.

Ossie

Posted

Looking like and increased chance of a warm/very warm end to July which may scupper the chances of a below average month and once again mask two very cool weeks.

Posted
Looking like and increased chance of a warm/very warm end to July which may scupper the chances of a below average month and once again mask two very cool weeks.

Based on the 850hpa ensemble average there are many more degrees below average than above, although that does go out of the window slightly with a sunny/humid combination.

I still think however, that the landing point won't be far from where we are now, which to the 17th is

15.5 - Hadley

15.1 - Manley

Posted

Hadley on 5.5C up to yesterday. Warmer than expected conditions has helped us in Sheffield rise slightly to 14.7C a massive -1.7C below the normal for July. It should rise from here on though.

Posted

Surprised there is so much interest in this thread to be honest with the month running below average. I can't imagine there being too much interest in a January CET thread if the month was running above average at this point. Nothing to get excited about IMO.

Posted
Surprised there is so much interest in this thread to be honest with the month running below average. I can't imagine there being too much interest in a January CET thread if the month was running above average at this point. Nothing to get excited about IMO.

Possibly because getting a below average month is so rare.

I just dont understand this notion that not wanting summer heat is wrong. Some of us actually dont mind below average summer months! Not everyone likes heat.

Everyone is entitled to their own individual preferences and opinions, even if its mild in winter or cool in summer.