Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted

is it lieing? how long to get to my place and is it heavy?

Posted

Poor Vicki Hawthorne! She was just doing a report on Sky News from Belfast I think about the snow and the whole time she was doing her report some kids were pelting her with snowballs from almost every angle!

Posted

Well if there was a place for snow in Ireland today, it was in my own town of Carryduff, South Belfast. Started snowing at 1am and didn't stop until 5.30 tonight. I have a lovely 12cm of snow now frozen solid.

Travelling to work this morning in Dromore was chaos, three cars in ditches and one in a tree!! No injuries though.

What about the Met Office failure to warn County Down though? Remember last night the warnings were only out for Antrim, Derry and Tyrone. A flash warning was issued in the early hours for Down when of course everyone was in bed.

Another Meto cock up. Well done to The Watcher who called it right last night for Down in the face of the Meto.

I actually e-mailed the Meto and asked why Down was not included in the warning. They replied that the front was more active than expected with colder air coming in quicker and colder than thought. They also said it was impossible to 100% predict these marginal situations.

Ice on minor roads could more of a major problem tomorrow than the snow today.

Currently -2.5C in the snow fields in my back garden.

Posted

An interesting Sunday night ahead as the shortwave moves in from the Atlantic.

Plenty moisture and 2m temps not bad.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn724.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn7217.png

But upper air temps and thicknesses marginal for low ground.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn722.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn724.png

Notice the colder air quickly moving back in, so if not snow 100%. It could be a snow, rain/sleet/snow event.

Posted

The coastal regions had no chance of any snow as the precip was to light to lower levels. 100m up and 5minutes drive is another story though :lazy: Winter paradise. Same as most places.

Was up in Antrim today and about 1/2 mile from Larne up the A8 towards Ballynure the snow was piled up :( Antrim was clear though.

Lookin forward to Sunday hope it delivers.

Posted

well today has been great,7-8cm of snow on the grass,3-4cm on the paths,the side roads and ALL other hard surfaces.all of this is now frozen and the temp is -0.2c :D:cold::(:clap::(:shok::good::lazy::rofl:;)8)8):p:p:p:cold::cold::(:(:lazy::cold::cold::cold::cold:

SP

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I think hit and miss really sums up the snowfall last night and today...areas inland even only a few miles from the sea had a nice covering, hils above around 200m got plastered. Areas close to the sea or at sea level seen snowfall for 18hours but ground temps just a tad too high for lying snow, which ment that the lighter precip during the early hours was not really in our favour. However it has been a GREAT time so far....I have practically been stuck to the window for any signs of the snowfall lying, but it melted too rapidly. Tommorow and overnight tonight will see places having a little topup from Showers that drift in on the stiff NE breeze, mostly confined to the North and NorthEast...but tommorow (according to Netweather) the showers becoming heavy, widespread and frequent and falling mainly as snow. This week will bring more than enough chances for some snowfall so Im quite sure that thoughs who did not see any lying snow last night or today will see some by the end of this week.

Posted
Glad you seen some in the end Snowplough B)

thanks,did you get any? B)

I was very surprised tbh! :D B)

SP

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
well today has been great,7-8cm of snow on the grass,3-4cm on the paths,the side roads and ALL other hard surfaces.all of this is now frozen and the temp is -0.2c :D:):lazy::):):shok::good::yahoo::rofl:;)8)8):p:p:p:cold::cold::):):D:cold::cold::cold::cold:

SP

Glad you got your snow too sp,i am rather jealous alot of Dublin seems to have done well out of this cold spell. Here today i just got light falls of snow and needless to say it didnt stick. Clear here atm with frost and the damp ground getting icy,current temp -0.4c

Posted
Glad you got your snow too sp,i am rather jealous alot of Dublin seems to have done well out of this cold spell. Here today i just got light falls of snow and needless to say it didnt stick. Clear here atm with frost and the damp ground getting icy,current temp -0.4c

thanks,im sure you will get some snow before the end of february :wallbash:

yes dublin did do well this week,getting icy here also,current temp : -0.6c :lol:

SP

Posted

Its -3.4 outside and everywhere is frozen solid.

Lots of ice this morning so be carful.

I work not far from your place Mountain Shadow and I expect things to get a bit rough on the Saintfield Road!

Great news Snowplough. Real glad you got some snow! :D

Edited by Baltic Regions

Posted
Snow is currently belting down here in West Belfast. Must have had nearly an inch in the last 20 mins!

It was the same in the Newtownabbey area. Nearly an inch or so in the area around the Abbey Centre. Currently sunny in Jordanstown now and very pleasant indeed.

Apparently there is a possibility of more snow on Sunday/Monday with northerly winds and wintry showers on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Woke up to a dusting of graupel this morning though its readily melting in the morning sun......signs are good for heavy snow showers throughout the day being quite widespread so I'd expect more posts of further snowfall from people.

Posted

Latest forecast on BBC News - "a band of snow reaching Northern Ireland" on Sunday :lol:

Still a long way to go yet but that's a good sign at this stage

Posted

plenty of snow showers showing up on nw radar now. any reports on the ground about whats falling? showers struggling to penetrate to my part of the province.

Posted
plenty of snow showers showing up on nw radar now. any reports on the ground about whats falling? showers struggling to penetrate to my part of the province.

A tiny feeble flurry just 20 minutes ago outside Richhill, near Armagh.

Posted

just had a decent snow shower about 15 mins ago. left a nice white covering on any frozen surfaces in the shade. sun is melting it out of the shade. lovely dry snow so if we get another shower after dusk will lay nicely.

Posted

First of a all a "Hi folks," been lurking here for some time now & decided to sign up. Couple of snow showers in Glengormley this afternoon and just had another quite heavy but short one.(10 -15mins). Settled on the couple of inches we still have lying here. Blue skies in between showers.

Posted

Well this has been a great wee snowy spell for Derry. Theres been lying snow for 2 days now and theres hardly been any thaw. Have been having heavy showers all day and these have added to snow cover. I can see from Derry right out towards the Glenshane and its just a pure blanket of snow. Would be great if this lay all weekend and then topped up on sunday. The radar shows our last big shower about 20 mins ago.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weathe...ed_kingdom.html

Posted

Hi all.....

Left snowy Newtownabbey this morning for Limavady........

Couldn't wait for the drive over the Glenshane and wasn't disappointed.

Roads perfectly clear, but surrounding hills and fields looked like the alps....lol :cold: