Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Cold Weather Chat

Posted

the only thing that worries me is it is a long way off and things change alot.....But at present we are in for a large dumping

Edited by dogs32

Posted
The north-wst was supposed to fair well out of thurs/fri event - but once again will miss out.

Without wanting to swear - this is fishing unbelievable. I can't believe just how much misfortune parts of the north-west are having.

Must admit I feel a bit like like at the moment, it is very frustrating seeing us in the NW not in the firing line of anything potent -guess its a price to pay for being too far sheltered from the south and east - its much better when we see a northerly or north westerly even north easterly but anything from a east to south quarter doesn't normally have any effect.. would love to see that low track further north but with the strong northerly developing I think it is going to be a SW england/West Country/West Midlands/S Wales/CS Eng event.

Still chance we will get a bit of a cover courtesy of the fronts coming down from the north on Thurs - unfortunately it may be more of a northern NW event i.e. Cumbria may steal the show with rest of the NW getting the vageries..

Posted
I read somewhere else this is seasonal weather but it's not, the average max for Feb is 7C/average min 1C and the week looks cold all week in the midlands its not just for northerners at all.

It`s seasonal weather like we use to get,today/yesterday wouldn`t look out of place during certain days during february 1986. :ph34r:

But during the cold spell of feb 1985 it would. :o :o

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Hi all. Spent a few months as an observer and felt the time was right to make a move :D

The main reason being my increasing concern over the potential event on Thursday as im making a mighty trip to Edinburgh from here in Newport Friday morning. Any Thoughts on my chances of making it would be appreciated. :)

Also like to say i was chuffed to see Snow this morning in Newport and Cardiff hasn't snowed like that here in the 3 years i've been here. Well maybe once 2 years ago.

But have to say i wish i was back in pembs! Biggest Snowfall there for many a year. Over 10cm! I can only remember that happening once before in my lifetime. '91 i think.

Waffle over :)

Posted

Well the Beeb shows some snow for me overnight which was unexpected. Model wise, they seem to be more opitimistic as their forecast (news at 10) showed a long period of snow for the Midlands, North Devon, across the M4 corridor etc, but becoming marginal on the Friday for me at least.

He seemed pretty confident for tomorrow into Thursday though.

Posted

Based on what people have seen over the past few hours is there much chance that I might get at least a covering by Saturday, this week has been so disappointing here

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
Please be advised that the MetO are unsure with the latest forecast. The current forecast IS NOT accurate at the moment.

I am expecting the colder air from the North to push further South than is being illustrated by the current models.

Hope your right, our local forecast said rain, sleet or snow Thursday/Friday. I guess he was covering all the bases :blush:

Posted
the only thing that worries me is it is a long way off and things change alot.....But at present we are in for a large dumping

Unfortuantley (for some) it has allready has old beeb forecast showed snow not gettin any further north than Sheffield, NOW they show snow getting as far North as Harrogate (which is good for me), which will make things a lot more marginal say south of birmingham :blush:

Posted

Rob Mcelwee on the bbc news24 still says that wed night into Thurs , due the the area of rain moving north into cold air and over cold ground it will fall as snow, and the graphics show a large area of white of central and east anglia, and he also added that this period of snow could be 'substantial'. check it out.

Any thoughts ?

Posted

It's snowing here at the moment moderate, the 2nd shower of the night so far :D

The latest forcast after the bbc news did show an area of snow over us tonight interesting.

Getting heavier big flakes not really pitching at present.... blizzard nearly now this is great

You lot in chelt should be getting some snow at present. looking at the radar snow is starting to settle now fast turning white on surfaces.

Edited by smarty81

Posted

really intensley heavy now getting close to whiteout conditions......... this is amazing you must be getting this in chelts dogs32

Edited by smarty81

Posted

UKMO have updated their warnings for South and South East.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=4

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Has the BBC made an error showing rainfall on the map with a temperature of 4C to 5C along the South of England when the Met Office forecasts minimums of -2 to -4C with a frost and ice quite widely, which is the opposite of BBC weather forecast as seen below showing rain at 5C by 03:00am Wednesday morning?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_...in_09020402.jpg

We have just had a shower of ice-pellets not hailstones - very unusual. I think it was sleety!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Would probably agree with you there - can't see anything significant for the midlands/south - certainly nothing in comparison to what we have seen over te last few days.

With the exception of higher ground in Scotland I don't see the forthcoming 'northerly' to be that potent in terms of snowfall. Alot of our snowstarved north-western members are praying for troughs and polar lows producing a real dumping to the nw - but the chances of this pulling off are very slim.

Just goes to show how tough it is to get snow in the UK these days, charts chop and change all the time right up to the line, so annoying!

Years ago, without all these super computers, I remember if they said snow for some place or other on the Coutryfile forecast for Thurs/Fri of that week it would usually happen, not any more. Its always bitty cold that makes it to our shores, puff, one extra gust of wind in Norway or Italy annd its missed us by 200 miles. ;)

And as for the few inches we got yesterday, its a joke, 70 percent of the country only got a duting that melted by this morning.............all the fuss it because LONDON and the home counties got some snow, OMG it snowed in London, big deal!

Never know though, London could see more snow, then all we will hear on the news for the rest of the month will be Weather related. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Can't remember where I found this but here's a site listing snow depths across the UK...

http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/snow_depth.html

I think a lot of those places mustn't have data for snow depths, but from what's available, Sennybridge is deepest at 15cm.

Like the latest GFS run, more opportunities for snow and no sign of a return to anything mild anytime soon :D

Posted
well im not giving up yet, we've been here before when the boot was on the other foot only for it all to go pear shaped at the last minute, no reason for things to go the other way, surely a few more interesting charts to come before this event :D

Francis Wilson from Sky News weather has just spoken about the convergence of the snow band to the North and the low pressure from the SW.

Both lows will merge together stalling the movement for a while allowing the very cold air to the North to quickly turn the rain from the SW to snow in the S/SE/Midlands.

Francis has also indicated that there will be significant snowfall for the SE on Friday.

Edited by Paul

Posted
Don't get me wrong the potential is certainly there especially if the UKMO carries on with the same output. As Nick rightly says alot of it will come to nowcasting so I will be very interested to see what is happening just to the S of me for the period in question.

Have to say the uncertanity is rather irritating. I wish in a way I could jump in a time machine to tomorow nights outputs. My mother phoned me up earlier asking what my opinion was due to my parents living in a rural area. I said to her "we could have either 24hrs of heavy snow with deep lying snow" or "heavy rain and temps around 6C". Just shows how marginal it really is!

I

yes Dave like the other day for lincs right on the coast we had the snow pass right over us, however temp differences made snow fall marginal and ended up with almost five to six hours of freezing sleet, so from that respect i see where you are coming from on that.

Francis Wilson from Sky News weather has just spoken about the convergence of the snow band to the North and the low pressure from the SW.

Both lows will merge together stalling the movement for a while allowing the very cold air to the North to quickly turn the rain from the SW to snow in the S/SE/Midlands.

Francis has also indicated that there will be significant snowfall for the SE on Friday.

now i love Francis and he always gives me hope, so what he has said could either leave you jumping with joy or scratching ya head come friday.

LO

Posted

Indeed and it is this stalling which is causing all the headaches because where the precip band stalls some locations could see incredible snowfall amounts. Another headache will be for those who are experiencing rain because as this pulls SE how fast will the cold air undercut the precip and how much of this will fall as snow??

Posted
Just goes to show how tough it is to get snow in the UK these days, charts chop and change all the time right up to the line, so annoying!

Years ago, without all these super computers, I remember if they said snow for some place or other on the Coutryfile forecast for Thurs/Fri of that week it would usually happen, not any more. Its always bitty cold that makes it to our shores, puff, one extra gust of wind in Norway or Italy annd its missed us by 200 miles. :o

And as for the few inches we got yesterday, its a joke, 70 percent of the country only got a duting that melted by this morning.............all the fuss it because LONDON and the home counties got some snow, OMG it snowed in London, big deal!

Never know though, London could see more snow, then all we will hear on the news for the rest of the month will be Weather related. :o

Excellent point, perfectly illustrated. I am so glad you made that point - I have been thinking it all along but had been slightly afraid to say it myself. I was watching an interview with a woman on bbc news and she said (rather confusingly):

"I am from Denmark - this is not snow!"