Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Cold Weather Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Ive never had 2 good snow events in the space of one week so Im gonna say it will either somehow miss us or it will be sleet/rain.

If Im wrong im going to run out in my garden naked.

Lol, that's my feeling too (not the naked bit) though N-W are fairly confident about snow here at the moment. Time will tell of course.

Posted

Morning folks. New Met Office warnings are out for Thurs:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=1

Northamptonshire is just in the orange zone-- "low risk of exceptionally severe event giving accumulations of 10 to 20cm" :D

Happy days if it's still there Thursday :lol:

Posted
Morning folks. New Met Office warnings are out for Thurs:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=1

My area was included yesterday but now it is projected to be further south. Only the 6z gfs gives me some hope but never mind as it looks like staying cold and a trough may come down from the north or northwest at some point. Snow always surprises!

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A fantastic event here! Woke up to a decent 6-7cm covering, built the snowman and threw snowballs with my daughter. Then 2 more hours heavy stuff put down 5cm fresh, making a grand total of 10cm!? (melting as settling and compression)

Great stuff, comparable to 2007 (17cm in 2 events). Sun out now, not that cold at 2c.

Posted

6inch of Snow now in the Garden - 9inch drift - And Still Snowing.......and still the media Says Gwynedd County and North West Wales hasn't been hit so hard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Enough talk about thursday

Heavy snow here now

Come from Wales /Bristol pushing into North Oxfordshire

Its 3c its pure snow, have about 50% snow cover left

Maybe ill go grab some flakes and add to my snow man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

what about us?

charts are not looking too bad for some snow starting tomorrow night, but the met office is doing its usual 'ignore the north until it actually snows' routine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
All this snow down south has got to the metoffice's heads! They need to be looking further north thurs/friday and saturday and even sunday! Yorkshire/Lincs/East Mids could get as much as 25-30cm...

Frankly I'd be astonished we're that the case - Some transient snow from the occlusion progged to drop down from the north which could be an interesting feature snow-wise for our neck of the woods, but until we know the track and pivot of the LP system and its associated features, I'll stick with the current Met O estimate - though of course that will change right up to the event itself.

Posted

Watched Richard angwin's forcast a few hours ago and wow what a forcast, he was in big ramp mode,not so much for wensday night when our region could get 4cms of snow.

But wait for it he said the west country thursday night into friday could get a significant dumping of snow Upto or 20cms of snow.

This would make mondays snowfall look pale in comparison, although I think this is to good to be true, you just never know. :shok:

Mr scahfernaker on the national said so to, just fantastic prospects for the week ahead :help:

Posted

With the data they have do you suggest they don't warn the most heavily populated parts of the country if snow is a real possibility?

They did mention Midlands and the other locations you mentioned.

All this snow down south has got to the metoffice's heads! They need to be looking further north thurs/friday and saturday and even sunday! Yorkshire/Lincs/East Mids could get as much as 25-30cm...

Posted

No snow here today, its been absolutely gorgeous!! Think theres a possibility on Thurs & Friday, fingers crossed.

Nb...got some great pics in the photo section if you like drifts

Posted
Watched Richard angwin's forcast a few hours ago and wow what a forcast, he was in big ramp mode,not so much for wensday night when our region could get 4cms of snow.

But wait for it he said the west country thursday night into friday could get a significant dumping of snow Upto or 20cms of snow.

This would make mondays snowfall look pale in comparison, although I think this is to good to be true, you just never know. :D

Mr scahfernaker on the national said so to, just fantastic prospects for the week ahead :wacko:

yes plzzzzzzzzz

a second chance then

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I consider myself an experienced NOVICE.

My position in west cambs, 18m asl, means we miss out on almost all snow events. We did get a covering but only alittle this week, and im now getting excited at the increased ramping for the next event. Havent got a clue how to read the charts, so im asking if anyone could help and either totally dismiss or confirm a snow event in my area in the coming days. Im in St.Neots right on the A1, 25 miles south of Peterborough. Would really appreciate if someone could have a look for me and advise me of any chances. Can anyone help.? Many thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well I braved the icey roads to get to work lol, but in honsesty all the main routes around here have been kept clear, though the side road have been treacherous. Have been treated to a lovely clear day witha wonderful view of the Moors all white and calm - truly beautiful, Temperature is now dropping fast and I'm sure there will be an awful lot of icey patches tomorrow. Looking back on last nights events, I feel sure me must have had a "mild" patch of air, then a drop in temp - there was noticable deperectiation in the snow level snow this morning, but virtually no standing water

Hey ho, 3rd snow day this winter - can't grumble at that :whistling: ...oh and I'm off to the model thread to see what Thursday night/Friday morning brings

Edited by V for Very Cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
yes plzzzzzzzzz

a second chance then

Not convinced it will come off. its still a way off and ill be surprised if i get 10cm on high ground.

yes plzzzzzzzzz

a second chance then

Not convinced it will come off. its still a way off and ill be surprised if i get 10cm on high ground.

Posted
I consider myself an experienced NOVICE.

My position in west cambs, 18m asl, means we miss out on almost all snow events. We did get a covering but only alittle this week, and im now getting excited at the increased ramping for the next event. Havent got a clue how to read the charts, so im asking if anyone could help and either totally dismiss or confirm a snow event in my area in the coming days. Im in St.Neots right on the A1, 25 miles south of Peterborough. Would really appreciate if someone could have a look for me and advise me of any chances. Can anyone help.? Many thanks.

It's too early to confirm or dismiss anything yet - snow locations are notoriously difficult to predict and this one is especially tough as it relies on the track of a low-pressure system to our south - the track this system takes will determine where snow is favoured and we'll not know that until it's almost happening - an example - the 06z GFS suggested that your location might do pretty well. The 12z GFS run has moved the LP track slightly further north and that means your location is now pretty marginal at least for Thursday Night/Friday. It's no big deal, the track will almost certainly change again before the day, but I suspect no-one will be able to give you a definative answer until a couple of hours before the event, then the LP system is actually being tracked in real-time. The Met Office in their advanced warning has you in the right sort of area, so keep an eye on how those advanced weather warnings updateover the next 24 hours.

Posted
It's too early to confirm or dismiss anything yet - snow locations are notoriously difficult to predict and this one is especially tough as it relies on the track of a low-pressure system to our south - the track this system takes will determine where snow is favoured and we'll not know that until it's almost happening - an example - the 06z GFS suggested that your location might do pretty well. The 12z GFS run has moved the LP track slightly further north and that means your location is now pretty marginal at least for Thursday Night/Friday. It's no big deal, the track will almost certainly change again before the day, but I suspect no-one will be able to give you a definative answer until a couple of hours before the event, then the LP system is actually being tracked in real-time. The Met Office in their advanced warning has you in the right sort of area, so keep an eye on how those advanced weather warnings updateover the next 24 hours.

thank you very much for that, i guess its fingers crossed then til nearer the time.

Posted
thank you very much for that, i guess its fingers crossed then til nearer the time.

Fingers, Toes, whatever you've got that'll cross. :ph34r: