Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Cold Weather Chat

Posted

Interesting on the radar that the snow band is now pivoting centred on the Bournemouth area, will this move more east and north?

Well according to mr angwin we wont get much more of the white stuff tonight for our area anyhow how, is the radar looking I'm not so sure though

Lol did you see him arrive on skies!? I wasn't expecting that!

And the thing about people thinking they're driving in a blizzard, when its just snowing straight down.

Posted

lol.....just saw on BBC Winchester could get another 10cm tonight,,,,,,,,,,,Am I missing something.....are they all just deliberate ramping :lol: :lol: :lol:

whats going on

Posted
Lol did you see him arrive on skies!? I wasn't expecting that!

And the thing about people thinking they're driving in a blizzard, when its just snowing straight down.

That was amusing :lol: .

A level 3 and a half inches now with light flurries at the back edge of the band stretching through Somerset towards Bristol and into Wales. Quite amazing to see how straight the edge of the snow is on the radar.

It snowed persistently from about 15.00 until 19.30 and I'm really looking forward to getting out with my camera in the morning. The best thing was that the wind dropped to calm so no drifting, just level snow :) .

However I'm also wondering what will happen with the effect of the Bristol Channel as the LOW moves across and spirals around. It's been mentioned by Roger on another thread and shown on the tv forecasts, there will be an area in the West Country that receives heavy snowfall later tonight and first thing tomorrow - the question is how large will that area be!?

This has been the best snowfall since 26 February 2004 :D

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
lol.....just saw on BBC Winchester could get another 10cm tonight,,,,,,,,,,,Am I missing something.....are they all just deliberate ramping :lol: :D:)

whats going on

The BBC South Today forecast was pretty vague, they said that 10cms could fall but not where and from what I can see will only be parts of Dorset, then the graphic showed lots of snow showers for South Hants tomorrow but then barely mentioned it on the forecast but talked about lots of snow wed eve into thurs but the symbol had rain for thurs and 7c. Not impressed by their latest intake of forecasters to say the least!

Posted
That was amusing :lol: .

A level 3 and a half inches now with light flurries at the back edge of the band stretching through Somerset towards Bristol and into Wales. Quite amazing to see how straight the edge of the snow is on the radar.

It snowed persistently from about 15.00 until 19.30 and I'm really looking forward to getting out with my camera in the morning. The best thing was that the wind dropped to calm so no drifting, just level snow :) .

However I'm also wondering what will happen with the effect of the Bristol Channel as the LOW moves across and spirals around. It's been mentioned by Roger on another thread and shown on the tv forecasts, there will be an area in the West Country that receives heavy snowfall later tonight and first thing tomorrow - the question is how large will that area be!?

This has been the best snowfall since 26 February 2004 :D

This is going to be really interesting to see, not something that happens very often lol. Even if nothing happens its been a great day and Thursday into early Friday looking very goooood.

Edited by BristolBlizzard

Posted
lol.....just saw on BBC Winchester could get another 10cm tonight,,,,,,,,,,,Am I missing something.....are they all just deliberate ramping :lol: :D:)

whats going on

I don't believe you!

Posted

Latest BBC news 24 forecast showed the extrent of the rain in the southeast and also western areas. Then showed a thaw for the next few days and just a minor risk for the south of snow on thursday, I am not so sure myself. I guess a few minor changes could make things a lot snowier or a lot less snowy.

Posted

Isn't the theory (hope ?) that the low tracks east and swings up the (re) intensified showers from the channel through Kent and into East Anglia :) ?

Edited by Paul33

Posted
Erm last time I looked it's sleeting slightly, not raining and the snow's still very much in evidence, just got another wodge of sleet showers to go over and then the skies clear for a nice hard frost.

Temperatures 1.5°C. Dewpoints have remained steady on 0° C since 11:00 am in my location. Not all EA is at sea level, and it's kept us out of the rain zone, just.

Are the models suggesting a NW'ly or NE'ly next w/e?

well not looking good for commuters going to work on fri morning! brian glaize from the weather outlook is predicting southern britain could get another 20cm of snow on fri! and last week he predicted the biggest snow fall since 1991 for today! he seems quite confident but at the moment it is a moderate risk! intresting times ahead.

Posted
I don't believe you!

honest truth Bekka..............news woman talking to a woman in Winchester about the conditions,she wasnt the general public...she must of been a BBC reporter.........she said something like this.....

WINCHESTER has been told from the weather center we might get anything up to 10cm tonight on top of what we already have..

so we are preparing our selves here for more snow..

god honest truth.....

I laughed straight away thinking that was crap...

edit now someone probably going to tell me Im wrong..anyway I found it funny because in a space of 10 minutes I also saw a RIDICULOUS forecast from ITV.......that was WORSE but I wont go there..

Posted

How odd. Prehaps she has seen the latest radar. And the the blob that is extending back east?! Surely that will be gone by next update mind. Dont think its even snowing anymore. Stopped at 330pmish. I'll go look. Nope not a sausage lolol.

Posted

I just posted this over in the e.anglia section.... but I can't believe how bad Norwich (and probably most of Norfolk) have doen from this snow event, considering it was an easterly and so much snow was around. And now the rain has set in to melt away what little we had.

Any chance of any decent snow for Norwich this week?

Posted
How odd. Prehaps she has seen the latest radar. And the the blob that is extending back east?! Surely that will be gone by next update mind. Dont think its even snowing anymore. Stopped at 330pmish. I'll go look. Nope not a sausage lolol.

Bekka I could be wrong but I think Like the ITV weather girl they dont know what they are talking about...

...I wouldnt take this to happen,,,but Im no expert...

The ITV one was the best though..that was pure hype rampo

Posted
Could be for some of us KW. :D

Still uncertain as to why a ENE,ly with upper temps around -12C failed to bring any decent convection in a line from N Norfolk W into N Cambs last night. Obviously in the models I always seek a NE,ly rather than a ENE,ly but im still slightly confused.

I see 2 snowfall opportunities for our locations. The Thurs/Fri event as shown on the +72 fax or as the 12Z GFS suggests a SW running SE. If this doesn't appear on future runs then maybe relying on convection from the N,ly.

We've had stunning snowfall this pm in north Devon of all places Dave. Posted some pics on my regional thread - just amazing.

Posted
well not looking good for commuters going to work on fri morning! brian glaize from the weather outlook is predicting southern britain could get another 20cm of snow on fri! and last week he predicted the biggest snow fall since 1991 for today! he seems quite confident but at the moment it is a moderate risk! intresting times ahead.

In 1991 i had to walk to work as my car was half coverd.And half way there my hands were above my head it was so deep. Looks better up here on thu/fri,not that better though. :D:D

Posted

Update by using the NW Radar : zoom to BA13 postcode and check out that the back edge of the snow band has barely moved in over 2 hours! It's not heavy, but is occasionally moderate and will keep accumulating.

Posted
Update by using the NW Radar : zoom to BA13 postcode and check out that the back edge of the snow band has barely moved in over 2 hours! It's not heavy, but is occasionally moderate and will keep accumulating.

omf :( /////so there might be so truth in the Winchester girl if it pivots towards Winchester

edit....no i dont think it wil....

look how much the sleet as spread

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I also saw a RIDICULOUS forecast from ITV.......that was WORSE but I wont go there..

I remember Michael Fishes comment about ITV weather forecasts. They use old data and presented by anyone who knows nothing about the weather. His advice and Paul Hudsons was listen to the BBC.

Most snow remaining all day and its been snowing slightly for a few hours filling in the patches that melted due to cars etc. Snow lying all day! Certainly better in terms of length for quite some time that i remember.

Posted
I remember Michael Fishes comment about ITV weather forecasts. They use old data and presented by anyone who knows nothing about the weather. His advice and Paul Hudsons was listen to the BBC.

yes but this woman...as been working on there for a few years.... :(

anywhere beneath that line for tonight 15 or 10 cm....

BTW...i think we just might have small bits of sleet here....seems slightly warmer here

LadyPakal..lol....whats going on...........rampers media...someone better tell them...have you noticed though the media go over the top sometimes...BBC news guy said there is worse to come

Edited by dogs32