Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
No your not being greedy-I would like it to snow heavily say 12 inches and then have a few sunny very cold days and then another top-up, I don't want much do I?

Yes definitely Mike, so do I :crazy:

I think what annoys me most, is when you see potentially great set-up go pear shaped - I like to grab what I can from decent a wintry pattern,

because they don't come around too often. :)

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

When are we likely to see some more snow in the Darlington area? MetO has not got anymore warnings for tomorrow :o Why do all the Southerners have to get all the snow...they moved down there to stay warm and we stay up here to get lots of snow!!! :o Not Fair! lol

Posted
Light covering of snow here, probably from that slow moving shower which was heading down from the North, shame i missed it but i suppose thats life though.

i had just got home from pub, and i instigated a mass street snow ball fight with all the students, was really quite funny untill we got told off by a neighbour.

Posted

Looks like we could see a smattering (V.Light covering) of Snow early Saturday and maybe a touch late Sunday but looking at the models, with my clumsy model watching skills, I'm not over hopeful for much more, at least for a little while... rats.

Anyone else see any glint of hope for more Snow for the North? I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong :D

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Weather warnings now out for our area for Sunday night. It looks like we could be well set up here - cold uppers all the way through and some fairly heavy precip - the UKMO sees a good fall for Yorkshire. Certainly something to keep an eye on - and something we all deserve, because the fact that this thread has been a lot quieter than the others says it all for our area.

Posted
Weather warnings now out for our area for Sunday night. It looks like we could be well set up here - cold uppers all the way through and some fairly heavy precip - the UKMO sees a good fall for Yorkshire. Certainly something to keep an eye on - and something we all deserve, because the fact that this thread has been a lot quieter than the others says it all for our area.

Hi Dave, I hope it does comes of mate, as this cold snap is turning into a huge disappointment imo.

Having seen the GFS today hinting at a return to milder conditions; I'm becoming rather concerned that we might have to wait

some time before we get other chance.

In terms of snowfall, I'm beginning to feel that this is turning out to be just another ordinary winter, for many, in our region

Hi Dave, I hope it does comes of mate, as this cold snap is turning into a huge disappointment imo.

Having seen the GFS today hinting at a return to milder conditions; I'm becoming rather concerned that we might have to wait

some time before we get other chance.

In terms of snowfall, I'm beginning to feel that this is turning out to be just another ordinary winter, for many, in our region

It has been unusually poor for many Yorkshire areas excluding higher pennine areas. N and E Yorkshire in particular have had a very thin skeriff of the snow cake so far in 2009.

Lets hope Sunday comes off, although to be honest I feel we will miss out on the coast here :(

Must stay positive! I'm sure our time will come :rolleyes:

Posted

Not a disappointment for all of North Yorkshire mind - we have had over 20cm lying since Tuesday now - although I admit the Leeds/Harrogate area has fared better than places further E, particularly the coasts and Vale of York.

Also Brian, the wind looks like swinging northerly at some point for at least a time next week, giving you beefy snow showers, with it dry here :doh:

Posted
Not a disappointment for all of North Yorkshire mind - we have had over 20cm lying since Tuesday now - although I admit the Leeds/Harrogate area has fared better than places further E, particularly the coasts and Vale of York.

Also Brian, the wind looks like swinging northerly at some point for at least a time next week, giving you beefy snow showers, with it dry here :D

Hi Dave, Yes I've just seen the GFS 'snow risk' charts, which look pretty tasty this evening. I was going to post them, but I got

distracted.

It's nice to have something to keep an eye on :)

Posted
any one think we will see any of the action out in the north sea tonight?

Must be a chance later in the night I would have thought-and I should add tomorrow morning as well,however I would not put any money on it as we seem to have been distinctly unlucky up to now.

The usual east /west elevation divide in the NE - head up to the Durham Dales and High Pennine and there is more snow than has been seen for many years, and it will most likley be around for some weeks yet.

Posted
Must be a chance later in the night I would have thought-and I should add tomorrow morning as well,however I would not put any money on it as we seem to have been distinctly unlucky up to now.

http://www.meteox.com/gmap.aspx?soort=beel...on=-1.845703125

small shower just north of newcastle. knowing our luck it will miss us, and reform just south of us :wallbash:

Posted

Update for all in Yorks -

Good agreement now for a decent snow event on Sunday/Monday...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs513.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm603.gif

Watch this space - it could be interesting.

Posted

Chance of a covering down the eastern side of our region later in the night as the winds are forecast to turn more northerly,so hopefully some showers will blow inland a bit.

Maybe places like Scarborough will be more favoured.

btw. here is a satellite link someone posted on the scottish forum,which i thought was pretty impressive. :rolleyes:

- Satellitt - yr.no

Update for all in Yorks -

Good agreement now for a decent snow event on Sunday/Monday...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs513.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm603.gif

Watch this space - it could be interesting.

Yes,sunday looking very interesting and maybe monday as well going by the latest fax chart,as the front seems to grind to a halt.

Posted

Could do with some more snow here in Hexham was very disappointed on Monday night, the snow was a wintry mix initially before turning to rain.

Hardly anything left here just a few cm and nothing in the town :wub:

BBC mentioned some persistent snow showers over Northumberland Tomorrow.

But Sunday probably my best hope for seeing anymore snow :lol:

Lets hope the full effects of the Stratospheric Warming are felt soon, some incredible potential in FI on the ECM 12z tonight

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted

I'm actually looking forward to this Northerly in truthness, it is a blink and you miss it affair but we should at least see some snow showers, whether there be frequent or not is another matter, at least the models have upgraded this as it was feared all the showers would miss this area but now i look to be in the firing line. Uppers look ok too me, just on the right side of marginal i would say aswell.

See what the radar(And the skies!) have too offer in the morning.

Posted

Chance of a covering down the eastern side of our region later in the night as the winds are forecast to turn more northerly,so hopefully some showers will blow inland a bit.

Maybe places like Scarborough will be more favoured.

btw. here is a satellite link someone posted on the scottish forum,which i thought was pretty impressive. :o

- Satellitt - yr.no

Yes,sunday looking very interesting and maybe monday as well going by the latest fax chart,as the front seems to grind to a halt.

that satellite link is awesome. thanks for sharing

Posted

Well, the next 48 hrs could be the most interesting of the winter so far for some up here in the North East.

Today, the prospect of some beefy and lengthy showers moving down over our region, starting about now and lasting pretty much all day. Has anybody had any yet, the radar shows some heavyish precip over to the coast (Shields, Sunderland) with plenty more lined up. The wind is backing Northerly which should encourage the showers to penetrate right inland giving us all a covering (hooray).

Skies clearing tonight with temps down to _10 in rural parts (I suppose some will get lower) and the prospect of some heavy snow dropping as the front crosses us later tomorrow into Monday. Could be fun getting into work Mon morning (hooray again).

All in all it's going to be fun, and rather busy on this thread soon I feel.

Enjoy,

Karl :D

Posted

lol, replying to myself !!!

My guess is for snow into Cramlington by 9.15, here by 9.30 and Teesside by 10.30, with 2cm on the ground widely by this evening.

Posted

My guess is for snow into Cramlington by 9.15, here by 9.30 and Teesside by 10.30, with 2cm on the ground widely by this evening.

Could be more than that.

I would expect winds to go round to a NNE as the low slips further South through today.

A lot of precip around Eastern Scotland that wasn't forecast.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Looking at the latest radar output i would say the METO will have to issue flash alerts imminently.There is some serious north sea convection occuring for yorkshire upwards.

Posted
Looking at the latest radar output i would say the METO will have to issue flash alerts imminently.There is some serious north sea convection occuring for yorkshire upwards.

If you look at meto forecast for SE Scotland it says ocassional shrs. Another poor Meto forecast. I agree about the warning perhaps 5/10cm to higher ground.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

I agree with the above,i think the met office will issue a warning very soon as the snow looks quite persistent around the borders at the moment,and heading south. <_<