Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Been looking at the charts again for Thurs & Fri and I think the dam line is going to be to far north I'm down grading my earlier thoughts think the SW especially will only have rain or sleet prob only a damp squib, hope I'm wrong :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

NS suggested earlier that the line is not the be all and end all when it comes to snow, the latest FAX has the low further south which would all help keep the milder air away for longer, or at least thats how I read it. :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl

Hows South Gloucestershire looking for tonight any snow predicted?

- kind of like this no school ma lark .. even if there was only a one hour covering >_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
NS suggested earlier that the line is not the be all and end all when it comes to snow, the latest FAX has the low further south which would all help keep the milder air away for longer, or at least thats how I read it. :ph34r:

Yes your right especially IF the low behaves :)

Posted
NS suggested earlier that the line is not the be all and end all when it comes to snow, the latest FAX has the low further south which would all help keep the milder air away for longer, or at least thats how I read it. :ph34r:

BBc News 24 latest forecast at 16:30 indicated heavy snow for vast majority of south. She did say some doubt at present but the forecast showed snow for Wales from a line east of Gower, Swansea

WelshSnowFan

Posted
I just looked at the radar and thought 'What? that can't be right!'. Then I looked out the window and saw it was. Heavy snow and settling!

I know, scary for tomorrow when it turns to ice brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted
Hows South Gloucestershire looking for tonight any snow predicted?

- kind of like this no school ma lark .. even if there was only a one hour covering >_<

Could be some showers passing through, but temps looking pretty marginal. Had short spell of snow turning to sleet and now rain in NE Bristol. Tribe3000 reports rain in Central Bristol. You might get something if your under a heavier shower, but I think its pretty much all eyes on Thursday's potential.

Posted
That stream of showers coming NNE is just missing me but it must be giving a good covering to everyone in the Ilminster area and between here and Bristol.

Bristol could benefit from this, and the mendips must be getting another good pasting.

Yup we are getting a few good showers..as said before a 'wonderland' of snow...Gurt Big un's too..the flakes that is! :ph34r:

Posted

Ok here is latest fax for tomorrow 12z, also have the previous to compare.

Any small changes will make huge difference for Thurs / Fri event

post-5585-1233678845_thumb.jpgpost-5585-1233678902_thumb.jpg

Ok the light blue shading is Cold air heading towards us for the weekend, the arrow shows a front that seems to be more active which could effect UK later.

For the Thurs /Fri Event what is of interest is that the low seems to be in same place, but the fronts have moved slightly further North towards us ( indicated by purple arrow)

We need the percipitation but for snow we need the cold. The 528 dam is likely to be somewhere over mid wales. Wind direction from east as it hits us would be helpful and that will depend on the exact track of the system as it moves northeast wards . Towards the centre of the low is most likely to remain warmest for longest, I hope that moves along the English Channel a little longer than forecast. That will mix colder air with the outer isobars as it crosses us. Cold air can be stubborn and stay in place longer than thought in these situations which is why i think BBC are showing Snow over northern Counties of the Southwest.

Its fingers crossed as we wait to see the exact track of the low and the associated weather fronts.

For those who know the charts, does that high pressure towards greenland seem to building better than expected to allow some blocking? Jackone?

post-5585-1233678878_thumb.jpg

Posted
Could be some showers passing through, but temps looking pretty marginal. Had short spell of snow turning to sleet and now rain in NE Bristol. Tribe3000 reports rain in Central Bristol. You might get something if your under a heavier shower, but I think its pretty much all eyes on Thursday's potential.

Thanks for replying, I hear Lydney still has lying snow and the main catchment area for my school is Lydney, Woolaston, st briavels. So i doubt i'll get anything its more based on those areas keeping the snow fall. Thursday does look good (:

Posted

Just had a little flurry.

Am going to change my location to make it a bit more specific.

Then I'll check to see if we can still expect The Day After Tomorrow, the day after tomorrow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
another snow storm absolute white out again,massive flakes this is dreamland

So close, and yet so far. :ph34r:

post-892-1233680019_thumb.jpg

(though I really shouldn't complain after te last 24 hours) :)

Edited by Mark

Posted
still snowing like crazy here and has been for the last half hour

yes and it just started in wincanton, real big flakes again1!!! :ph34r:

Posted

Pateiently awaiting a very heavy snow shower here, it's been threatening for the last few hours with flurries heading NNE but the radar shows a direct hit soon to arrive.

How brilliant this is to have snow moving up from the SOUTH!

Posted
Thanks for the post on Thursday's potential pyrotech!

Pleasure, as long as its of interest to someone

i am open to comments on what i say whether someone agrees or not. What i see is only my interpretation .

If anyone sees something that i miss please point it out.

Posted

Just went to look out the window and spilt my cuppa everywhere >< bad move...

but there is a nice cloud a coming

might be the light precip from the wales radar i seen a mo a go

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Pateiently awaiting a very heavy snow shower here, it's been threatening for the last few hours with flurries heading NNE but the radar shows a direct hit soon to arrive.

How brilliant this is to have snow moving up from the SOUTH!

I was just thinking that same thing myself. Very unusual here in the south itself.

As for now, the snowcloud is nearly upon us with some flakes flying around on a sometimes gusty wind. In fact, the hill two miles to my east is shrouded in a snow shower and I now can't see it at all.