Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

anyone see the 1330 bbc forecast? on BBC breakfast they were still giving us a chance, although the more i've looked the more marginal it is. i notice Oxon is still included in the met office warning for tonight. I think timing is the crucial factor for me...

i'm never sure in exactly which thread i belong...central southern or south east! Met office class us as southeast but to be honest i just don't buy that! especially given what happened on Monday!

Posted
HAS ANYBODY TAKEN INTO CONCIDERATION THE TWO FRONTS MEETING AND THEN STALLING OVER THE MIDLANDS AND THEN EVENTUALLY BEING PUSHED BACK SOUTH?

Yep. Which is why I think we will get a good pasting! It was my initial thought then I first saw how the 2 fronts will meet over the Midlands. Its going to be terrible for drivers, from 5am..nobody on the roads, grit wont stop this. I really do think itll be bad, Imay be ramping it up but its my honest opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

I think the met office just are trying to cover their back, by saying that it could affect the M4 corridor.

I would be surprised anything south of Gloucester got any snow.

Posted

Sorry for spoiling the mood but i would just like to ask a question!

On the beeb forecast its got snow pushing up from the south but then it pushes really north and leaves birmingham northwards dry-so i take it that is the milder air? So birmingham northwards could experience a small thaw before the low tracks back south again?

Or will it not travel that far north and Birmingham and surrounding areas will still be left in the colder air before the LP pushes south again?

Sorry im just a bit confused by the forecast and would like to know a bit more detail!

Thanks!

Posted

anyone catch richard angwins forcast earlier what was the update like........

Posted

so Essan do you think this will happen and will our areas be in the firing line im so sorry to ask i just dont know how to read the models yet i have the netweather subscription but i have tried and I end up getting myself confused :)

cher

x

Yes, I think we could see snow through much of the morning, though it may turn to sleet or rain for a time in the afternoon. And then possibly more snow in Friday as well.

Pah, I think I'm just too far south - we've not hardly seen anything this week unfortunately although my work took me to Nuneaton where there was significantly more.

I SO want my children to see some decent snow!

I think they will tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Sorry for spoiling the mood but i would just like to ask a question!

On the beeb forecast its got snow pushing up from the south but then it pushes really north and leaves birmingham northwards dry-so i take it that is the milder air? So birmingham northwards could experience a small thaw before the low tracks back south again?

Or will it not travel that far north and Birmingham and surrounding areas will still be left in the colder air before the LP pushes south again?

Sorry im just a bit confused by the forecast and would like to know a bit more detail!

Thanks!

Hi A.S,

How i read it was the area of Snow arrives from the South in the early hrs. and continues until around mid day.

It seems to dry out from the South for a while and then i think starts again later in the day,but not for long,as the colder air pushes it back south.

No mention of sleet/rain.

At this stage any percipitation will be dying down and by the time it gets to the S.E. it will only give a dusting i guess.

Hope this helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Just to let all you snow fans in the south know whats happening, it has started snowing lightly in the past hour so I presume this is the front on its way south so Brum is about 300miles from here so you can have a guess when the 2 airmasses are going to collide

Posted
Hi A.S,

How i read it was the area of Snow arrives from the South in the early hrs. and continues until around mid day.

It seems to dry out from the South for a while and then i think starts again later in the day,but not for long,as the colder air pushes it back south.

No mention of sleet/rain.

At this stage any percipitation will be dying down and by the time it gets to the S.E. it will only give a dusting i guess.

Hope this helps.

Hiya Phil,

So, it most likely will not be milder air, just a drier interlude before the LP pushes back south? And what kind of temps are pushing down from the north-are they roughly the same as now?

Thanks for your help.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I'm not holding my breath. I've been here in years before and seen thick heavy snow pass through quickly and turn to rain within the space of an hour or so.

I hope I'm wrong and it all stalls with temperatures & dew points just right for it to bring snow and not rain.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Now up to around 6C- it'll need to plummet quickly tonight if we're going to see any more snow at this rate! Even with the right synoptics etc it just never seems to stay cold enough for long enough these days- the sun has been warming things up as though it were March or April. Virtually all of Monday's snow is now gone- there was more than half cover at 9am, about 25% at noon- now only the odd patch in the shade. We didn't even get an airfrost last night.

Posted

The bbc forecast looks very good but they seem to be siding with the ukmo - www.bbc.co.uk/weather The gfs won out on monday regarding the precip type, and even here we had about 15mins of rain which the gfs precip type charts hinted at as a possibility. by midday tomoz the dew points and temps will be above freezing the best i think most can hope for is snow between 3 and 9am, but after that there is alot of heavy precip around which if falls as rain will quickly wash away the lot. On the other hand if the ukmo is right temps are that little bit lower and in knife edge situations like this would give us a nice bucket load of snow. :D

post-6740-1233758484_thumb.png post-6740-1233758492_thumb.pngpost-6740-1233758501_thumb.png post-6740-1233758507_thumb.png

post-6740-1233758683_thumb.png

These gfs predictions to me wouldnt indicate snow especially by 3pm when were under very heavy precip (rain) :rolleyes:

Posted

The trailing arm of the front (i.e. not the bit running up the western side of Wales and into the Irish sea) looks to be a fairly weak affair at the moment. There isn't that much precipitation. Is this progged to pep up as it crosses the channel/collides with the cold air? otherwise i don't see much of an event at all to be honest.

Posted
We will certainly see heavy snow in the midlands tonight and very early tomorrow morning

What more do we need?!

.... Not to see snow turn to heavy pouring rain before my toast pops up at breakfast time!!

Edited by kar999

Posted
.... Not to see snow turn to heavy pouring rain before my toast pops up at breakfast time!!

:rolleyes:

Dont be silly, it wont turn to rain. It will go cold over night and by 5am itll be snowing, itll continue until about 12. Each and every little bit will be snow, these charts are a load of tosh!

Posted
:D

Dont be silly, it wont turn to rain. It will go cold over night and by 5am itll be snowing, itll continue until about 12. Each and every little bit will be snow, these charts are a load of tosh!

Im liking your certainty/enthusiasm! I hope you are right!

Posted
:D

I hope your right but if the 06z gfs verifies that wont be the case, anyway not long now till what is imo the most acurate gfs output of the day. :D

Posted
Im liking your certainty/enthusiasm! I hope you are right!

If people have seen a few of my114 posts, I am not normally the one to ramp it up. But this ones different and it seems many headteachers agree with me as 'school closures are flooding in' to the local radio, as they put it :D

On roads, this will be worse than Mon/Tues as it will fall heavily from 4-5am. Rush hour will be a nightmare!

Trust me on this one, those charts have it all wrong and I have no idea where they get the information that itll plan out like that, temperature wise and precip wise.

Posted
I think the met office just are trying to cover their back, by saying that it could affect the M4 corridor.

I would be surprised anything south of Gloucester got any snow.

...and I would be surprised if Gloucester got any! The Severn Vale Snowshield is powered up and working!!

7&Y

Posted

My dad's friend works for the council and he said that around the wolvo area could get 15cm + tonight :D .

Not getting my hopes up too much though, but am pretty excited

Posted

Just had a look over the BBC charts and hoping we get a nice bit of a pasting here. Am off work on friday for a long weekend until tuesday and a work from home day tomorrow would fit in quite nicely LOL! Praying to god but we never really get more than 2" here to be fair.

Posted
...and I would be surprised if Gloucester got any! The Severn Vale Snowshield is powered up and working!!

7&Y

don't be silly now gloucester/Tewkes/chelts will all get snow tonight, The only thing we dont know is snow depths?