Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
Little we can do now but wait - 6 hours and counting :D

Hi Essan, hope youre ok, disappointed with Mondays snow, but im hoping this will be much better, potential there, we just need that precip, to be heavy and im sure we will be smiling :) One of my customers went up Bredon Hill today and she said there was lots of powdery snow at the top , and some deep snow drifts as well! See you up there, Best Wishes Ian. :)

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Hmmm no mention of Leicestershire?

The Map had you under Wintry Mix but all of here in the centre of Snow Disruption. They say tomorrow could be much worse than Monday and advising take food etc with you if travelling. Could be widespread school closures again. :D

Hi Essan, hope youre ok, disappointed with Mondays snow, but im hoping this will be much better, potential there, we just need that precip, to be heavy and im sure we will be smiling :) One of my customers went up Bredon Hill today and she said there was lots of powdery snow at the top , and some deep snow drifts as well! See you up there, Best Wishes Ian. :)

The Charts show the snow being much much heavier for us than Monday. Monday was pretty rubbish during the main event partly due to how small our falkes were. Although it was heavy for a bit we never had big flakes but tomorrow could well have much better snowflakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
The Map had you under Wintry Mix but all of here in the centre of Snow Disruption. They say tomorrow could be much worse than Monday and advising take food etc with you if travelling. Could be widespread school closures again. :D

It's a strange one this because on the BBC forecast earlier today it showed me being under snow from 3am till 9am and then it's clearing away Northwards... I think some local forecasts are saying a wintry mix for us and some are saying snow, far too borderline for my liking!

Posted
Hi Essan, hope youre ok, disappointed with Mondays snow, but im hoping this will be much better, potential there, we just need that precip, to be heavy and im sure we will be smiling :D One of my customers went up Bredon Hill today and she said there was lots of powdery snow at the top , and some deep snow drifts as well! See you up there, Best Wishes Ian. :)

Hi Ian - I thought Bredon looked nice and wintry after last night's slushy mix :) I missed Monday as I was travelling home from Stirling - but very disappointed when I got home..... Hopefully the drifts in the High St will prevent me getting to my shop tomorrow and I'll have to take the morning off to go play with my camera! :)

(Of course, being my own boss means I can take the morning off regardless :) )

Posted

Hmm my neck of the woods doesn't seem to fair too well. Snow and then rain according to BBC charts, but Metoffice say Heavy snow from around

3 til' 9am THEN a slushy mix....Who should I really believe??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Hmm my neck of the woods doesn't seem to fair too well. Snow and then rain according to BBC charts, but Metoffice say Heavy snow from around

3 til' 9am THEN a slushy mix....Who should I really believe??

Looking at current temps they are all falling away rapidly whats going on ?

Posted
if its expected sooner than 3am what time shall i set my alarm for now

cher

x

I don't think it will reach Brum till 3am at the earliest, so just set it for 3am because even if it reaches about half an hour earlier you wont have missed anything lol.

Posted
Looking at current temps they are all falling away rapidly whats going on ?

Hmm, as the front comes in though, the temperatures would rise???

Posted
Not sure when Met office change their weather warnings. That one on their website was issued at 10:47 and still gives the disruption risk as only 60%. Academically that's only 11% in favour of it being more likely to happen than not.

I'd like to see it moved into their 80% severe risk category before I'd lay odds down on it!

The Met Office only update their warnings if, or when, there's a radical change in the immediate outlook. A downgrade is usually indicated by them removing the warning: not the most subtle of methods, but, like their warnings, unambiguous enough. The warnings themselves are issued at around 11 a.m. daily and, as they say, upgraded as necessary. Hope this clarifies things.

Regards,

Mike.

Posted
If anyone wants a rough guide to what this upcoming event will produce, it is very very similar to the Feb 8th-9th 2007 snow event which was pretty productive for the Midlands region.

Regards, hgb

Well, that's jinxed it - Gloucester only got an inch of rapidly melting slush off that! :D

7&Y

Posted
I don't think it will reach Brum till 3am at the earliest, so just set it for 3am because even if it reaches about half an hour earlier you wont have missed anything lol.

thanx andy will do and i will meet you all here then im off for some sleep now lol

cher

x

Posted
thanx andy will do and i will meet you all here then im off for some sleep now lol

cher

x

Nice one :D See you later!

Posted

West Midlands county (Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Redditch, Coventry etc) : 10-15cms of snow

Worcestershire and Warwickshire: 10-12cms of snow

Leicestershire: 3-5cms of snow

Well warwickshire is no more than a mile from my house, yet i live in leicestershire, hopefully the weather doesnt quite no where the borders are lol

Posted
Well, that's jinxed it - Gloucester only got an inch of rapidly melting slush off that! :o

7&Y

Well, I did say rough guide...Feb 07 was much better for areas farther north from you. For example, I got 5 inches of snow on the thursday then 5 inches on friday leading to 10 inches of lying snow by Friday evening.

Gloucestershire tonight: 3-5cms of snow in my opinion but could be more if the radar comes into your favour.

Posted

Temperatures suddenly falling away nicely in south Shropshire. Currently +0.4C.

Posted

bbc forecast was alright for here, although i hate the way they have blueish colours with snow falling in the middle of it, there kinda getting away with sitting on the fence half the time by predicting both

Posted
I dont get it... Where exactly is this precip coming from then?!

It's currently down over Brittany and pushing slowly up over the Channel. Don't worry, it's a-coming :o

Posted
It's currently down over Brittany and pushing slowly up over the Channel. Don't worry, it's a-coming :)

Ah thats ok then!! I was looking at that small thing over Bistol way, thinking "And how does everybody expect that to last for 5-6 hours of heavy snow and actually reach us in the first place?" :o

Posted

[The GFS is saying 50% chance for me in worcester and mainly sleet. Is this right or are we going to get some decent snow do you think? Anyone have any ideas if SW Mids will do well from this?

Has the GFS got it wrong or will it be close but no cigar agaijn with just sleet for us poor midlanders?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
bbc forecast was alright for here, although i hate the way they have blueish colours with snow falling in the middle of it, there kinda getting away with sitting on the fence half the time by predicting both

i hear what your sayin there but with temps at 0c in brum and only 2c in oxford i dont think that rain will materialise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The NMM Model is fantastic too. As well as tomorrow mornings treat it shows even more Heavy Snow coming in the afternoon and the precpitation type keeps it as Snow for the West Midlands and Wales.

Places West of Birmingham will certainly do best from this. East of here will do well too in the Midlands though a more Sleety mix is likely after a time.

Depoints are very good here currently. Its about 0.9c the temperature but the Dewpoint is all the way down at about -1.3c! :D

Remember Snow is likely when the Dewpoint is below 0.0c.

Edited by Blizzards