Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
...and I would be surprised if Gloucester got any! The Severn Vale Snowshield is powered up and working!!

7&Y

Saboteurs are hard at work as we speak :(

I think everyone in Gloucestershire should get something out of this. Oxon looks a little more dubious though atm :(

North and West of a line from the Cotswolds to the Linc Wolds should see snow, south and east more likely rain, with heaviest precipitation on the western half. Which puts Glos, Worcs, Warks etc bang in the firing line :)

I'm already anticipating not opening my shop tomorrow morning. Be gutted now if I have to go to work instead of out with the camera!

Just recently updated for you east midlanders, west midlands still old from 06 55 hrs,

Headline:

Risk of significant snowfall on Thursday.

This Evening and Tonight:

Dry and frosty at first but cloud will increase overnight, with sleet or snow likely over much of the region by the end of the night. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Thursday:

Cloudy with snow at times but with rain or sleet more likely on and near the east coast. Significant amounts of snow are possible, especially over the western high ground. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 1515 on Wed 4 Feb 2009

So i think the west midlands one will be even better, not so good an update for the southeast maxs here 7C tomorrow with snow turning to rain, best to be in oxfordshire if you are in the SE region i would think.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
My dad's friend works for the council and he said that around the wolvo area could get 15cm + tonight :( .

Not getting my hopes up too much though, but am pretty excited

I think its possible and school closures definately as at 8am many roads could be covered over due to the timing even 10cm falling at between 3 and 8am will be very disruptive. on monday it started at 2pm so roads never really got chance to be covered. Itl all be gone by midday or 1ish though imo i just hope me and gfs have got it wrong and it stays as snow all day. :( 12z should be able to give us a clearer picture soon.

Posted

Someone on TWO was saying that the front coming from the south tonight might pivot and stall over the midlands. If that happens we either get a ton of snow, or extremely wet.

Posted
Someone on TWO was saying that the front coming from the south tonight might pivot and stall over the midlands. If that happens we either get a ton of snow, or extremely wet.

NW Midlands - Ton Of Snow

SW Midlands - Ton Of Snow

NE Midlands - Ton of sleet/snow

SE Midlands - Sleet/Rain

Posted

the 12z gfs isnt very promising really. I think most places in the midlands will be seeing rain tomorrow, and just wales keeping snow for the whole day.

Posted

So i think the west midlands one will be even better, not so good an update for the southeast maxs here 7C tomorrow with snow turning to rain, best to be in oxfordshire if you are in the SE region i would think.

that's definitely true i think, although i have a suspicion i am a little too far south and east. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ridgeway gets a covering due to its increased height. North west Oxon might do ok though.

Posted

Im in Buckinghamshire and I was just wondering who I should trust more, Netweather who forecast very wet conditions, or the BBC/Metoffice who forecast Heavy Snow!! (I hope Heavy Snow is on the cards!!!) :(

Posted

The 850s look to be slightly lower than the 06z, for me it was around -2 now possibly between -3 and -4

post-6740-1233762535_thumb.png

Further snow will push across parts of central Britain overnight and during the day on Thursday bringing the risk of disruption across an area stretching from Somerset and South Wales to Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

Areas across southern and eastern England along with northern and western England and Wales will see mainly rain during the day.

Falls of between 2 and 5 cm are likely across a swathe of central Britain with up to 20 cm possible in higher parts of Wales and the Derbyshire Dales in particular.

Parts of Scotland will not escape further snow either. Snow across the north today will sink south to affect parts of the central belt this evening. Snow may also push across parts of Northern Ireland overnight.

Beyond Thursday, the outlook remains rather wintry with further spells of rain sleet and snow for parts of the UK on Friday and through the weekend.

The public are advised is to stay up to date with the latest Met Office weather forecasts and warnings on the Met Office website.

Posted

The thaw has begun, the 28cm at Leeds Bradford Airport runway has gone now (because of snow ploughs etc ), though snow is heavily compacted and frozen, i have a more modest 20cm+ in my garden atm, but you can hear the dreaded drip drip noise, the snow begininning to melt of the roof :( . Due to the clouds dissapering and sun appering allowing temps to rise to 1.5c (rise of 0.6c in 30mins) sun was only out for 20 mins, fortuantley it has gone very misty and tempratures are dropping away now 0.8c, which should stop the thaw :( . As im typing the temps keep falling having to change it again and again currentley at 3:44pm the temp is 0.3c

Current pic of table in back garden-

post-8968-1233762546_thumb.jpg

Posted
The 850s look to be slightly lower than the 06z, for me it was around -2 now possibly between -3 and -4

post-6740-1233762535_thumb.png

Further snow will push across parts of central Britain overnight and during the day on Thursday bringing the risk of disruption across an area stretching from Somerset and South Wales to Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

Areas across southern and eastern England along with northern and western England and Wales will see mainly rain during the day.

Falls of between 2 and 5 cm are likely across a swathe of central Britain with up to 20 cm possible in higher parts of Wales and the Derbyshire Dales in particular.

Parts of Scotland will not escape further snow either. Snow across the north today will sink south to affect parts of the central belt this evening. Snow may also push across parts of Northern Ireland overnight.

Beyond Thursday, the outlook remains rather wintry with further spells of rain sleet and snow for parts of the UK on Friday and through the weekend.

The public are advised is to stay up to date with the latest Met Office weather forecasts and warnings on the Met Office website.

The same image was in my head, thats exactly how I see things to go in the early hours.

Also, just went out to move some branches which I cut down, its VERY cold! Not sure its 6c here.

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather

Posted
http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather...p.jsp?client=13

For anyone wanting to keep an eye on temps and dew points later, could be important tonight.

Temperatures are great for us so far, nearest one to me is 3.1c.

Further north are 1c, we'll be fine! Bring on the snow.

Posted
Temperatures are great for us so far, nearest one to me is 3.1c.

Further north are 1c, we'll be fine! Bring on the snow.

I can see your optimistic dont be to let down if it goes tits up though, this is looking like 1 degree either way will make the difference of a ton of snow or lots of rain.

Posted
This is quite a nice little read and the image on the left is good too. Might help clear a few things up?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pres...pr20090204.html

Well according to that map Lichfield is right in the middle of the snow region, NOT the wintry mix region so here's hoping they're right :)

Not sure I trust that though, after they forecast snow for places on Monday that ended up as rain. Fingers crossed!

Posted

2.3c here and falling :) lots of snow still around about 5cm on the garden 2cm on street still except otherside of the road which has been melted by the sun :)

had a little dusting this morning making it harder to spot where the ice was and wasen't! school was back on today lots of snowball fights :) . Hopefully it closes tomorrow they told us that we would find out in the morning because their slightly worried about conditions and my school is in the countryside.

Posted

If the 12z came off id get a real dumping of snow here tommorow.

However being realistic, something always goes wrong so i wont be getting up any earlier than normal.

Posted

Latest Met Office forecast for the West Midlands looks good to me :)

It will be dry and frosty this evening. Thickening cloud will spread an area of snow up from the south during the night. The snow will become heavy in the south later in the night, with several centimetres accumulating. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Thursday:

There will be further outbreaks of snow during the morning, probably heavy in places, but it will turn lighter, sleetier and more patchy in the afternoon period. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 1557 on Wed 4 Feb 2009

Posted

Met Office- Cloudy with snow at times but with rain or sleet more likely on and near the east coast. Significant amounts of snow are possible, especially over the western high ground. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Looks good for me :whistling:

Posted
2.3c here and falling :rolleyes: lots of snow still around about 5cm on the garden 2cm on street still except otherside of the road which has been melted by the sun :whistling:

had a little dusting this morning making it harder to spot where the ice was and wasen't! school was back on today lots of snowball fights :) . Hopefully it closes tomorrow they told us that we would find out in the morning because their slightly worried about conditions and my school is in the countryside.

0.3c already here not that far from you, see - http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather...p.jsp?client=13

Still suprisingly quite a bit of snow around, grass covered in most places apart from where its been messed with. a top up to that without any rain would do nicely, although we are right on the edge of where it will be more of a wintry mix. heres hoping the bbc get this 1 right. How you think we will do, and will it be worth stayin up til 3am?

Posted
Latest Met Office forecast for the West Midlands looks good to me :whistling:

Looks ok, heavy in the south

I never understand that part as I am in the West Mids but North Birmingham..so is that me?

Down to 2.9c from 3.1c

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather

Posted

Mostly cloudy, with rain spreading north later in the evening and overnight and turning to snow across some northern parts of the region, especially Oxfordshire. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

i'm pretty pleased with that latest update from the meto for me, too. However, this is clearly going to be a case of watching the radar - or in my case, going to bed and hoping to wake up to snow.

Edited by A horse called man