Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Ah cn-d, Biggin never fails to deliver does it. I was ridiculed by my colleagues when I suggested that Biggin Hill had 2" of snow in under an hour, earlier on at work. Its not anything unusual for Biggin, that kind of fall.

I remember a number of years ago going up to B.Hill one night for a snow chase. Beckenham/Bromley had rain with a few flakes now and again. Got on bus from Bromley North in steady rain, just past Bromley Common a wall of snow hit us and as we climbed towards B.Hill the snow became heavier and heavier and was settling more and more.

Bus arrived in B.Hill High Street, snow was nearly 4" deep, had a look around for a while then got bus back to Bromley, nothing but cold rain there.

Back to the now, came out of work in Croydon just before 7 in sleet, New Addington tram stopped nearby and tinkered with the idea of jumping on it (only 20 mins from Croydon) but thought better of it, had I been younger and snowless this week I would've been up for it. I would imagine if B.Hill has 3+ ins then N.Addington has an inch or so. Saw plenty of cars coming into Croydon with a couple of inches on their roofs, no doubt having come up over the N.Downs south of Croydon.

Walked down to Anerley (SE20) from Crystal Palace station with a few flakes falling, although seems to have stopped now.

Snow cover here has taken big hit but still plenty of spots with some snow and ice, that have a northerly aspect.

Heres to the next bout. :o

Hi Tom

Sometimes its difficult to make people believe the difference in height that Biggin Hill makes when it comes to marginal events. When I left work tonight my boss was very sceptical about the snow in Biggin Hill but when he recieved a call from one of his workers saying that she had to abandon her car at Keston and was walking to Biggin Hill it confirmed everything. Tomorrow I have an important tennis match at Kings hill near Maidstone and I am surprised the match is on but they have no snow what so ever very similar to Bromley -although there is snow there it has hardly settled. Anyway it is still snowing lightly but everywhere the roads are very icy with about 2 to 3 inches of snow. :D

all the best CND

Regards,

Tom

Posted
brilliant its snowing alot harder now thought tonight was gonna be a rain off

Ditto.......This is simply amazing..........It is snowing even heavier right now and settling a lot more as well :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
Snowing here, very light but settling on the cars and path.

Do us a favour and put where your from otherwise its a completely pointless message.

Posted
it seems to be rotating around Kent? It's drift east along N Kent, but dry here!

Snow must be very close to you - I'm only a couple of miles west of you and its snowing lightly. Keep watching that lamp-post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Paul S.

Hows your Leigh and Southend Thames Streamer inquiry going. Have you appointed a judge yet? :D

I was just thinking, if a map of snow depths were produced, from London out to the Estuary, it would look rather strange

around your way. Cant wait to read your findings.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
Ditto.......This is simply amazing..........It is snowing even heavier right now and settling a lot more as well :D

You must be haveing a laugh im 3 bloddy miles from you and its bone dry here. Jesus talk about bad luck.

Posted
Lol

This is a Family Forum - But my thoughts are prolly the same as yours with regards to Meto Forecasts

The saying Pinch of Salt comes to mind not that you could find any

You are near me Paul and the thing about this week is one of disappointment. Living in SE Essex I expect nothing from NW / Northerlies in winter but an Easterly which is rare gets me excited. A few inches Sunday night / Monday aside this has been one big let down. I'm pleased for so many others who have got snow, especially those who see it less than me but an IMBYism creeps in and its just very frustrating

All these METO warnings which fail to materialise just make my mood worse

Edited by Vesuvius

Posted
Paul,

Just to let you know Excel is fine and a bit misty but no problems :D

You have no excuse NOT to get to work Monday :o

Regards

CV

Next week is a big NO NO For me with regards to Snow, I simply do not want it, after February 14th then it can Snow all it wants, but with Retail Businesses in the Big Smoke travel disruption will be a killer blow if lots of Snow falls, So I am secretly praying Snow stays away until I get back from Cork (StormChaser Meet Up) on Sunday 22nd February.

Mind you thats a lot to ask for :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

considering the bbc said all ppn gone by 8 pm this a nice surprise. wrong again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Snow getting heavier here in Anerley and trying to settle.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi. I've been browsing this forum for some time now without posting - this is my first post. I've been reading with interest about which places in the SE are being hit by snow (it seems there have been so many!). As I have found recent events exciting, I felt the urge to join and start posting!

What would you say the chances of Hertfordshire being hit tonight/ Sunday night/Monday are? It just seems that we have missed most of the snow that other southern counties have had.

Here's hoping.

Posted
LOL I'm about 3 miles south of you then, near Linton :wub: and it's dry. 1.2C, 0.3C dewp hopefully if anything falls here it will be snow not rain :lol:

Its definitely snow rather than rain - trying to lay here - so with your extra height you should see some soon good luck.

Posted
You are near me Paul and the thing about this week is one of disappointment. Living in SE Essex I expect nothing from NW / Northerlies in winter but an Easterly which is rare gets me excited. A few inches Sunday night / Monday aside this has been one big let down. I'm pleased for so many others who have got snow, especially those who see it less than me but an IMBYism creeps in and its just very frustrating

All these METO warnings which fail to materialise just make my mood worse

Yeah it is a hard pill to Swallow, we missed out on the October Snowfall, Missed the early december Snowfall, got 2cm on 5th January and then an inch or two from a near perfect set-up, It is painful seeing all these warnings from the Met, best advise is not to trust them at all and follow the Nowcasts and Forecasts from some people on here, as we found last night it was pretty bloody obvious the Low Presssure had made Landfall 100 miles too far to the West, but still the Beeb were showing 20cm+ for London and The South East.

A few things to keep in Mind ECM & UKMO Seem to be better at Medium and Long Term Trend Spotting whereas GFS Is nailing the T6-T24 Events Much Much better, so advise is to look at the Longer Term on the 1st 2 Models and then Pick up the GFS Closer to the Event.

And the good thing from the above Is that ECM Longer term is showing much more wintriness with Winter looking like it might be extended after the Cut Off 28th Feb / 1st March

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

could this be an all nighter ? heres hoping but who can tell at the moment snow is popping up where ever its not forecast

Posted
Hi Paul S.

Hows your Leigh and Southend Thames Streamer inquiry going. Have you appointed a judge yet? :wub:

I was just thinking, if a map of snow depths were produced, from London out to the Estuary, it would look rather strange

around your way. Cant wait to read your findings.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi Tom

Yes I have found quite a bit out, I am going to start a thread hopefully as early as start of next week solely on what Happened on Sun 1st and Mon 2nd from that event. It is really Interesting poring over the Charts and why It did and didnt happen in certain locations, some of it wind direction obviously but other factors as well.

Regards

Paul S

Hi. I've been browsing this forum for some time now without posting - this is my first post. I've been reading with interest about which places in the SE are being hit by snow (it seems there have been so many!). As I have found recent events exciting, I felt the urge to join and start posting!

What would you say the chances of Hertfordshire being hit tonight/ Sunday night/Monday are? It just seems that we have missed most of the snow that other southern counties have had.

Here's hoping.

Welcome-

Herts looks pretty good actually, although the whole of the SE is along the periphery of the cold air at that time, so it could be snow to rain, or even just plain rain- it depends how much cold air is in place & also how much warm air advection is ahead of the front-

Im afraid like everything this week- it will be a now cast-

just like Tues onwards-

quite heavy snow here- all be it fine particles-

regards

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Frustrating here, snowing for an hours or so but ground too wet to settle except on cars and little tykes garden toys.

Posted
considering the bbc said all ppn gone by 8 pm this a nice surprise. wrong again

BBC MetO have just said that the snow will carry on for at least two more hours....................Does that equate to another 4 - 8 hours :lol:

BBC London News weather forecast by Peter said that we could even see snow on Sunday :o

BBC24 says there is a strong possibility of the low over France could push further inland on Monday :o

Guess what?? It is still snowing and this is no exaggeration, it is snowing even heavier and settling more than what was said in my previous post :o :lol: :lol: :wub:

Edited : No Need for that Excessive Size................is that ok :wub:

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Interesting, still dry but the temps are slowly falling so it must be imminent. And once it starts it should stay for a few hours - just like the GFS predicted, whilst the BBC expect it to all fizzle out by now! As Paul says, GFS has been good for 'nowcasting' events recently :wub: