Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Dunstable Downs up the M1, Only 60 odd miles North of London, apparantly they have a foot of the Stuff!!

Paul S

Thanks thats where I'll head!! (ps. thanks for the other advice south of London but I guess the foot wins so I'll need a bit of a drive)

Posted
Dunstable Downs up the M1, Only 60 odd miles North of London, apparantly they have a foot of the Stuff!!

Paul S

60?? More like 30 - 35. J11 of the M1 is the nearest exit for the Downs.

Still some -SN falling in Canary Wharf at the mo.

Edited by Steve B

Posted

this band of light snow/sleet stretching from essex to hants through se london is sitting exactly where it is at the mo- doesn't look like moving anywhere.

Posted

Are we down in small oxford land getting any more? or is the quiet before another storm? Have to admit im getting abit fedup with the snow now lol just kidding:-)

Edited by StormChaser

Posted
this band of light snow/sleet stretching from essex to hants through se london is sitting exactly where it is at the mo- doesn't look like moving anywhere.

as i said before, deja-vu of 28th Oct - the snow lingered over the London area for yonks, because the rotation of the LOW right over Kent stopped it from moving any further southeast. Looks like the LOW is over us at the moment, preventing it from moving this way! B)

1.6C and 0.7C respectively

Posted

what are the snow prospects for london for the sunday night/monday precipitation? There's been a downgrade hasn't there?

oh well. If we are forecast snow its usually the kiss of death anyway

Posted
Has anyone in the SE south of London any decent snow left ?

I was thinking of taking my skis out for a try this weekend on a hill with some snow left

I may be too late ! .

Any suggestions ?? :D

still light snow here

Yes, we in the Croydon area still have some lying snow.

It is still snowing here. Not settling that much, but it will be like a skating ring in a few hours time :o B)

The ppn seems to have stalled over the SE - London area :o I would be amazed if the ppn peps up all of a sudden only for the MetO to release an updated weather alert.............Don't forget, the MetO did just this last night for the SW B)

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Lots of abandon cars in Biggin Hill can you believe just walked two miles across fields as I left my car at the White Bear. Work Mate had to walk from Keston to Biggin Hill -only about 7cms of snow but road are like ice rinks. B)

Posted
as i said before, deja-vu of 28th Oct - the snow lingered over the London area for yonks, because the rotation of the LOW right over Kent stopped it from moving any further southeast. Looks like the LOW is over us at the moment, preventing it from moving this way! B)

i wouldn't worry too much, it's about a flake every 15 seconds at the minute. lamppost watching in extremis! B)

Been out on a drive for the last hour ( Just a short one)

Here at Crook log no Settled snow- ( apart from the 1mm of slush)

just one mile the road at gravel hill a dusting of around 3mm-

Its amazing though- jump on the A2 at the black prince interchange & up to Dartford heath & that 100m makes all the difference-

Drove into Dartford, out to Joyce green Hospital & then back along Hawley road & up church road through Wilmington-

They had around 1cm-

I know when I go out later I will heading out to the heights of West kingsdown- expecting to find around 2/3 inches up there-

So it should be a fun little round trip!

Still sleet & snowing here although nothing of any coverage about to happen soon- Temp probably around 1c-

S

Posted
Lots of abandon cars in Biggin Hill can you believe just walked two miles across fields as I left my car at the White Bear. Work Mate had to walk from Keston to Biggin Hill -only about 7cms of snow but road are like ice rinks. B)

i used to live in west wickham and would head to the white bear every time it was borderline snow. twas amazing how often there'd be rain at home and lying snow up there.

they serve up a cracking roast too.

Posted
Still snowing in Dagenham getting heavier !!! B)

Not a million miles from here, but still very light flurries here.

Posted
as i said before, deja-vu of 28th Oct - the snow lingered over the London area for yonks, because the rotation of the LOW right over Kent stopped it from moving any further southeast. Looks like the LOW is over us at the moment, preventing it from moving this way! :wallbash:

i dont believe so, an image i saw eariler shows the low sitting around the channel isles, and the ppn was the the east, so if the low had pushed over us id have thought the ppn would have been pushed into the north sea.

The low has been very slow moving and i believe its been sitting where it is for most of today, making slow movement eastwards,

if anything ive been pressure rises in canterbury, since 2 this afternoon!!

Posted
Been out on a drive for the last hour ( Just a short one)

Here at Crook log no Settled snow- ( apart from the 1mm of slush)

just one mile the road at gravel hill a dusting of around 3mm-

Its amazing though- jump on the A2 at the black prince interchange & up to Dartford heath & that 100m makes all the difference-

Drove into Dartford, out to Joyce green Hospital & then back along Hawley road & up church road through Wilmington-

They had around 1cm-

I know when I go out later I will heading out to the heights of West kingsdown- expecting to find around 2/3 inches up there-

So it should be a fun little round trip!

Still sleet & snowing here although nothing of any coverage about to happen soon- Temp probably around 1c-

S

There is about 2in up here and it's still snowing but very lightly now

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
as i said before, deja-vu of 28th Oct - the snow lingered over the London area for yonks, because the rotation of the LOW right over Kent stopped it from moving any further southeast. Looks like the LOW is over us at the moment, preventing it from moving this way! :wallbash:

I think the centre of the depression is due south of Brighton now. If you look at the radar on the MetO website, the 'rain' over Worthing has move back west again and a new area has appeared south of Eastbounre and appears to be moving N. Def seems to be an anticlockwise circulation centred about 30 miles south of Brighton.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted
I think the centre of the depression is due south of Brighton now. If you look at the radar on the MetO website, the 'rain' over Worthing has move back west again and a new area has appeared south of Eastbounre and appears to be moving N. Def seems to be an anticlockwise circulation centred about 30 miles south of Brighton.

Yeah, but the general idea preventing the rain/snow from reaching here still exists. I swear the weather gods don't like the extreme southeast, they did this back in October! 1.5C and dewp 0.6C at the moment, just waiting for the precip lol! :wallbash:

Posted

Yeah, i have noticed that too, the area of ppn has moved a little bit west, with more ppn apearing in the Englsih Channel.

Did the met office predict this?! :wallbash:

Posted

Satellite animation shows the cloud beginning to move away southeastwards now, so the end is nigh (not that it even started here :wallbash: ):

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Edited by Paul B

Posted

I've got some quite big flakes coming down now, temperature has dropped quickly to -0.8c and it is snowing quite heavy snow, but the wind is preventing it to settle. The rain we had early has frozen over.

hopefully it will get heavier, i wasn't expecting this :wallbash:

Posted

Centre of low is now over The North coast of France. Centre just west of Le Harve ppn has lessened now and i do not think there will be anymore snow laying overnight. Well nothing to write home about anyway. Just been up Wrotham Hill and it was bucketing it down there the M20 went white at the top of the hill. The slip road off towards Swanly was just that a slip road not grit on it at all.

Maidstone is wet cold and so far snow free.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
Lots of abandon cars in Biggin Hill can you believe just walked two miles across fields as I left my car at the White Bear. Work Mate had to walk from Keston to Biggin Hill -only about 7cms of snow but road are like ice rinks. <_<

Ah cn-d, Biggin never fails to deliver does it. I was ridiculed by my colleagues when I suggested that Biggin Hill had 2" of snow in under an hour, earlier on at work. Its not anything unusual for Biggin, that kind of fall.

I remember a number of years ago going up to B.Hill one night for a snow chase. Beckenham/Bromley had rain with a few flakes now and again. Got on bus from Bromley North in steady rain, just past Bromley Common a wall of snow hit us and as we climbed towards B.Hill the snow became heavier and heavier and was settling more and more.

Bus arrived in B.Hill High Street, snow was nearly 4" deep, had a look around for a while then got bus back to Bromley, nothing but cold rain there.

Back to the now, came out of work in Croydon just before 7 in sleet, New Addington tram stopped nearby and tinkered with the idea of jumping on it (only 20 mins from Croydon) but thought better of it, had I been younger and snowless this week I would've been up for it. I would imagine if B.Hill has 3+ ins then N.Addington has an inch or so. Saw plenty of cars coming into Croydon with a couple of inches on their roofs, no doubt having come up over the N.Downs south of Croydon.

Walked down to Anerley (SE20) from Crystal Palace station with a few flakes falling, although seems to have stopped now.

Snow cover here has taken big hit but still plenty of spots with some snow and ice, that have a northerly aspect.

Heres to the next bout. :wallbash:

Regards,

Tom