Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
To be fair Andy whilst what you say is true, there is still a chance... the GFS op might well give snow to your location, and things can change right at the last minute (in fact they usually do).

Although I have been through the models, and the GEFS mean, the UKMO, ECM, JMA and perhaps GME say N. GFS op is best for you.

Well even though I have written the chances off I still secretly hope what the BBC forecast actually happens lol.

Just trying to get people to be cautious and not expect heavy snow when it might be heavy rain!

Just started hammering it down with snow here now, road and pavements were wet and now they are white because of the intensity of this snow!

Posted
Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 1800 Mon 9 2359 Mon 9

Rain turning to snow in many places will give accumulations of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong easterly winds.

Issued at: 1150 Sun 8 Feb

West Midlands:60% Herefordshire

60% Shropshire

60% Staffordshire

60% Stoke-on-Trent

60% Telford + Wrekin

60% W Midlands

60% Warwickshire

60% Worcestershire

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 0001 Tue 10 1200 Tue 10

Further snow is expected in many places with falls of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong northeasterly winds.

Issued at: 1209 Sun 8 Feb

I make that up to 20cm or more by tuesday lunchtime :lol:

:( How fun!

Anymore for tonight though?

Just checked, snowing again heavily!!

Posted

It's still snowing here - keeps slowing down then pepping up! What started as rain a few hours ago has ended up a decent accumulation about 3 cms in places! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I think it will turn out as heavy snow much of the Midlands tomorrow night, from Warwickshire and Worcestershire north, decent chance over here too I should think, not much chance of getting in the milder air here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Extremely promising local forecast on Midlands Today:

"Major winter storm"

"Significant snowfall"

"Blizzards tomorrow night"

Will the BBC finally get it right? What a time to finally do it!

Posted
:) How fun!

Anymore for tonight though?

Just checked, snowing again heavily!!

I think Warwickshire will get the worst of it tonight, as that was the last Severe weather warning issued.

West Midlands: Warwickshire

Heavy Snow 1556 Sun 8 2300 Sun 8

Outbreaks of snow are expected during this evening, clearing away early tonight. A further 2 to 5cm of snow can be expected, especially over hills. The Public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1558 Sun 8 Feb

Posted

I have no weather station or anything, but a lday just walked past my house with an Umberella up - It's raining, It's very very cold. OOOOO - Just started sleeting - Please lets hope this turns to snow!!!!!!! :)

Posted
Extremely promising local forecast on Midlands Today:

"Major winter storm"

"Significant snowfall"

"Blizzards tomorrow night"

Will the BBC finally get it right? What a time to finally do it!

Was that before or after the updated charts though? To be honest it still looks ok for Staffordshire in the 12z charts but much more touch and go.

Posted
Was that before or after the updated charts though? To be honest it still looks ok for Staffordshire in the 12z charts but much more touch and go.

Andy its looking doubtful for us in the South Midlands now...I think anyone in the North Midlands as a good chance of heavy snow for tomorrow Storm

Posted

i cant belive it, just been down the road and the roads have about 2cm on them this has fell in 5 mins:) still heavy been heavy for about1 and half hours now :) just cant wait for tommorow see what that brings

Posted

Very heavy snow and massive flakes in Banbury now

Flakes the size of ten pound notes. :) well almost!

Posted

Right east midlands weather showed temps in the north of the region being warmer than those towards the south, opposite to those on the national weather, gfs shows potential for rain to turn to snow as it clears away to the east, the national weather has it more of a snow turning to a wintry mix. So basically nobody really has a clue, i dont know why we bother paying our tv license to fund forecasts like it.

Posted

Ill re-post an email i got from the Met Office in regard to their afternoon forecast updates

Dear Kris,

Thank you for your email. Please see the response below from one of our experts.

The afternoon updates, use a mixture of the 00Z forecast and the new 12Z. The reason it is a mixture is that we do have sight of some of the 12Z forecast, but not all of the model has completed, so it has to be a mixture.

The current snow event seems to have happened much as forecast, with some variation of course, which for a snow event is very good, as amounts of snow can be very tricky to forecast.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Tim Hill (on behalf of expert)

Posted
Ill re-post an email i got from the Met Office in regard to their afternoon forecast updates

The whole of the 12z model is out now. I think they will downgrade a lot of the snow warnings for tomorrow now.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
The whole of the 12z model is out now. I think they will downgrade a lot of the snow warnings for tomorrow now.

Depends where you are :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think it is very poor that when a major storm is on the way, possibly bringing severe disruption and may even put lives at risk, is being totally ignored by BBC News 24. Instead they put rubbish about Baftas on, which most people don't give a damn about.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

just been out in the snow with my 13 and 9 yr old boys! Had so much fun! went to the shop and bought wine for myself and sweets for the boys! lovely weather! still snowing heavy here but smaller flakes now!

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

looking at all the info on here - it looks like it could go either way.....

suppose thats the fun of it all.................

it just gets you down when you think it could be a mammoth snow event and you get nowt!!! has done this time and time again.......