Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Don't you just love this from the Independant on Sunday:

Best Overall Comment on the Weather: At the peak of Monday's online moanfest about the difficulties of getting to work, David Taylor of Southend wrote this on the BBC message board: "As I started working from home a year ago, I did find it nearly impossible to get out of bed and trudge across the landing to my office. The BBC wasn't very helpful... there were no reports of holdups near the airing cupboard and the bathroom interchange was almost impassable. Gritting was nearly useless – but with the cold floors, it was to be expected. Cancellations were widespread. No bacon and eggs. I had to make do with a replacement toast service. I hope I get home tonight."

Love that!!! B)

Posted
Don't you just love this from the Independant on Sunday:

Best Overall Comment on the Weather: At the peak of Monday's online moanfest about the difficulties of getting to work, David Taylor of Southend wrote this on the BBC message board: "As I started working from home a year ago, I did find it nearly impossible to get out of bed and trudge across the landing to my office. The BBC wasn't very helpful... there were no reports of holdups near the airing cupboard and the bathroom interchange was almost impassable. Gritting was nearly useless – but with the cold floors, it was to be expected. Cancellations were widespread. No bacon and eggs. I had to make do with a replacement toast service. I hope I get home tonight."

Haha, sums up our lack of snow perfectly!

Posted
Tbh I dont want any bad weather this coming week (snow/rain) my OH didnt earn a penny last week and has a full diary of work booked in starting today (job is outside) he has to earn this week, bills have to be paid. I am probably the only person here not wanting more snow :cold::cold:

You would be surprised just how many DONT Want Snow Bas!

This is a critical week for my Businesses in London and I really need it to be drier if I am honest, the Rain will not help at all, but in Short I need to get in as do my staff and most Importantly I need Customers to not shy away and get a few days off because of Snow, This is the 2nd Buisiest week of our Working Year coming up, after the 15th February It can Snow bucket loads - For a few days LOL

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
You would be surprised just how many DONT Want Snow Bas!

This is a critical week for my Businesses in London and I really need it to be drier if I am honest, the Rain will not help at all, but in Short I need to get in as do my staff and most Importantly I need Customers to not shy away and get a few days off because of Snow, This is the 2nd Buisiest week of our Working Year coming up, after the 15th February It can Snow bucket loads - For a few days LOL

Paul S

phew - didnt want to be a downer on the thread lol, the following weekend 21/22 we are going to Disneyland Paris, so would like it to stay dry for my trip to Ashford for Eurostar that weekend too - dont ask for much do I?

I take it your business has something to do with Valentines?

Posted
phew - didnt want to be a downer on the thread lol, the following weekend 21/22 we are going to Disneyland Paris, so would like it to stay dry for my trip to Ashford for Eurostar that weekend too - dont ask for much do I?

I take it your business has something to do with Valentines?

That's what I was thinking...

Clintons/Uk Greetings maybe?...

Posted

I have noticed during past few years that a very reliable sign of severe weather (especially frost or snow) is that the wild birds simply disappear! Last Saturday hear in Kent there wasn't a bird to be seen in my garden, somehow they know that it's going to get bad, I don't know where they actually go? Anyway, they are back in abundance, so I imagine this heralds a change to much less cold weather for the next few days at least! Anybody else ever noticed this?

Posted

Lol

Yes Heavily to do with Valentines, We have 2 Jewellery Shops in the City of London, Massive Week for us

Please Please Please NO SNOW :o :D

Paul S

Ann summers :o Sorry Paul :D

:D

Posted

Whilst i agree that back-edge snow is a strong possibility on Tuesday, given the lack of snow on the GFS, i can't help but feel this is a high ground event. There was on event back in December (can't remember which date) where the BBC suggested snow from the Midlands northwards, but the GFS said different. The outcome was heavy rain below 200m or so, and heavy snow reserved for hills and mountains in the north.

Beside, why should the Midlands get more snow yet again? As far as i know, much of Kent, Sussex and Essex are the only parts of the UK that are green at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
I have noticed during past few years that a very reliable sign of severe weather (especially frost or snow) is that the wild birds simply disappear! Last Saturday hear in Kent there wasn't a bird to be seen in my garden, somehow they know that it's going to get bad, I don't know where they actually go? Anyway, they are back in abundance, so I imagine this heralds a change to much less cold weather for the next few days at least! Anybody else ever noticed this?

They are probably stuffing themselves with peanuts and seed at neighbouring birdtables... I'm getting through a 1/2 kg of bird food and fat balls a week atm and there's a sort of queue forming in the hedge beside it to wait their turn.

If everyone could put out some sort of food for them, we can limit the carnage severe weather brings, and I've left the door of my garden shed slightly ajar so they can shelter in there.

Posted
Whilst i agree that back-edge snow is a strong possibility on Tuesday, given the lack of snow on the GFS, i can't help but feel this is a high ground event. There was on event back in December (can't remember which date) where the BBC suggested snow from the Midlands northwards, but the GFS said different. The outcome was heavy rain below 200m or so, and heavy snow reserved for hills and mountains in the north.

Beside, why should the Midlands get more snow yet again? As far as i know, much of Kent, Sussex and Essex are the only parts of the UK that are green at the moment!

Both Maidstone & Tonbridge are not ideally situated when it comes to these marginal snow events! We are just too low down and relatively sheltered by the North Downs from any N or NE winds. Friday night it was pouring with rain in Tonbridge whilst Sevenoaks & Biggin Hill received further significant snowfall! It's a bummer, but a fact of life I'm affraid.

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Funny you say that because im asking myself at the moment do I really want this Channel storm to bring the blizzards to my location. Some may think this is OTT but due to the amount of snow, strong winds it isn't impossible to see 1ft of lying snow with drifts being 6ft high. The effects of this on my family who live in a rural area would be a nightmare.

I will add that i've seen the BBC forecast and the snow is far more widespread than I thought. Basically anyone N of the M4 upto the Midlands is at risk. Now because of this the SE does run the risk of snow developing during Tues.

Personally im not convinced the snow will be this widespread with the risk being further N i.e Midlands.

where hs this chance of a foot of snow come from TEITS, what have i missed :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

bbc on ther graphics show snow from london northwards this morning but this is bound to change as we draw closer to the event, still gonna be a nowcast imo.

Posted

Well i am still doubtful - this will be a high ground event only...

The GFS says rain for most areas, turning to snow across the Welsh Mountains and W Midlands for a time later on.

The NMM model says rain for most areas, turning to snow on the very back edge.

UKMO are going for widespread snow in an area roughly enclosed between Cardiff - Brum - Norwich - London - Cardiff.

2 out of 3 says widespread rain. The 546dam is far too close, there is a lot of warm air advection on the S + E flank of this system (hence rain yet again in the SE!). Despite the promising METO graphics for those further north and west than me, I can't see this snow materialising, unless they know something we don't?

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
Indeed, however I remain very up beat by the prospects here from wed onwards. It's great to see some others do so well though who often miss out. We've seen snowfall every year for the last 21 years since I moved here, so can't be greedy.

James

dont know where u got your info but its going to get milder here end of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

No wonder they said that mondays snow was the worst in almost 20 years for my area, I have very little faith that we will see the likes of it again for another 20 years, let alone in the last couple of weeks of this Winter!

Since then:

Near MISS last weds

Near MISS last thurs

Near MISS today

Near MISS tomorrow

And now next weeks northerly is suddenly a NWly, cold and dry so.............

Near MISS next week too.

:doh::doh::doh::D:cray::doh::D:doh::bad::bad:

Edited by snowray

Posted
Since then:

Near MISS last weds

Near MISS last thurs

Near MISS today

Near MISS tomorrow

And now next weeks northerly is suddenly a NWly, cold and dry so.............

DAMN!! :doh::cray:

Posted

As most are saying now looks just rain anywhere near the coast monday night, the winds look nasty gusting 50mph from the north east,the rest of the looks ok with a northly, wintey showers at times, maybe the high parts of norfolk will do well during next week

Posted
Thats what i said end of this coming week turning mild.

It's too far away to have any confidence in at this stage - plenty of long range models maintain the cold, but we will have to wait and see. Given the pattern and the stratospheric goings on, I would say remaining on the cold side is probably the form horse for now

Posted

I think like mid-week that Central South/the Midlands/and possibly western side of Greater London might get a few more inches on Monday night, but anywhere nearer the east coast it's looking increasingly like rain or sleet! :cray:

Posted
Last forecast I heard they said heavy snow possible Monday night into Tuesday morning with strong winds, is this still looking accurate? :cray:

Even using the forecast with the most southerly track of the LP (UKMO) I think your location is probably 50-100 miles south of any significant snow risk (possible back end snow can't be ruled out) - it might change but less than 10% chance would be the call right now