Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Ross B

Posted

But this front is decaying WX - it's not an active feature growing in intensity. Occluded fronts are quite often dull :lol:

The shower activity behind may well be of interest though - not ruling it out, just looking for evidence. The 12z NMM meso-scale model will be out in a bit and worth a look at to see just what might happen overnight :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
But this front is decaying WX - it's not an active feature growing in intensity. Occluded fronts are quite often dull :D

The shower activity behind may well be of interest though - not ruling it out, just looking for evidence. The 12z NMM meso-scale model will be out in a bit and worth a look at to see just what might happen overnight :lol:

Well you will have to fill us in when it does come out then!! :D And if you are the bearer of bad news then I will be coming over to Edinburgh to smack you with a big 'no ball :D

Posted
Our warning in Strathclyde is valid till 10 tomorrow morning so that suggests maybe there is something else to happen?

Not necessarily Stuart although I would imagine the Meto would alter it if they thought the front was going to fizzle out. I personally think that there is more to come no doubt. I could be (hopefully not) wrong though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

as i've said, the charts show the real stuff later on

we currently have cloud but no precip and i'm not sure we'll get any off this cloud

just hoping tonight will be better :D

Posted
as i've said, the charts show the real stuff later on

we currently have cloud but no precip and i'm not sure we'll get any off this cloud

just hoping tonight will be better :D

:yahoo: And someone sees what I see. Good man cwpiper :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

yep fizzed out here was expecting just a bit more than what we got. "hoping" there is a bit more in it for later tonight and we can all be happy

Posted
yep fizzed out here was expecting just a bit more than what we got. "hoping" there is a bit more in it for later tonight and we can all be happy

I think the best thing that can happen is that the ppn over NI at the moment intensifies as it moves east and provides a good fall. The other hope are the streamers but they will be more localised imo.

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Simple guide that works pretty well for me most times in working out whats happening now and over the next 12 hours or so.

Whats happening now... Look at the sky. High cloud, broken cloud ??? Can I see the horizon ?

Whats coming... Look at the radar. Moving in this direction ? Breaking up ? Intensifying ?

On that basis, the current situation is another damp squib for most of us in the central/SE locations.

I would disregard metoffice timing of events. Just because they say this or that will happen "later" doesn't mean to say they know something we don't. Its more likely they just got the timing and the extent of any precipitaton at location X wrong. I guess what I'm saying is there will be no main event later on today IMO. :yahoo: A "heavy snow" metoffice warning simply carries so many caveats ... "in some areas" ... or "on high ground" that most of the time its an anti-climax for the townies. Surrounded by ocean out there and we end up with snizzle 95% of the time...jeez !

As for streamers (and I stand to be corrected) these are areas of convective activity that follows local geography (Moray Firth, Forth estuary, Cheshire Gap, Thames estuary etc). There may well be some showers after the front passes, but I think thats all they would be ... "scattered showers" rather than "streamers".

Posted
I think the best thing that can happen is that the ppn over NI at the moment intensifies as it moves east and provides a good fall. The other hope are the streamers but they will be more localise imo.

well i can say its still snowing at the moment very fine stuff only but its laying better than the flurries earlier temp is on its way down

so still looking good from here :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
I think the best thing that can happen is that the ppn over NI at the moment intensifies as it moves east and provides a good fall. The other hope are the streamers but they will be more localise imo.

its not that unlikely as their are constant heavy shower bands moving across into us

the streamers may produce more snow as well

i still think that we've seen nothing yet (although that is literally the case here!!!!)

Posted

snowing steady at sea level in greenock....

has been for nearly an hour..

BUT.......

I'm off to egypt tomorrow so i dont want heavy snow as might delay my flight

Posted
Simple guide that works pretty well for me most times in working out whats happening now and over the next 12 hours or so.

Whats happening now... Look at the sky. High cloud, broken cloud ??? Can I see the horizon ?

Whats coming... Look at the radar. Moving in this direction ? Breaking up ? Intensifying ?

On that basis, the current situation is another damp squib for most of us in the central/SE locations.

I would disregard metoffice timing of events. Just because they say this or that will happen "later" doesn't mean to say they know something we don't. Its more likely they just got the timing and the extent of any precipitaton at location X wrong. I guess what I'm saying is there will be no main event later on today IMO. :yahoo: A "heavy snow" metoffice warning simply carries so many caveats ... "in some areas" ... or "on high ground" that most of the time its an anti-climax for the townies. Surrounded by ocean out there and we end up with snizzle 95% of the time...jeez !

As for streamers (and I stand to be corrected) these are areas of convective activity that follows local geography (Moray Firth, Forth estuary, Cheshire Gap, Thames estuary etc). There may well be some showers after the front passes, but I think thats all they would be ... "scattered showers" rather than "streamers".

I think the best bet to assess what will happen in the next 12 hours would be to look up google and type in cloud forecasting or forecasting using clouds. That has been a very effective method for me when I have used a wee book I have on it.

snowing steady at sea level in greenock....

has been for nearly an hour..

BUT.......

I'm off to egypt tomorrow so i dont want heavy snow as might delay my flight

Talk about irony eh :(

Posted

It has began to intensify again over the last 30mins. I hope we can get another few cm's tonight :huh:

Posted
It has began to intensify again over the last 30mins. I hope we can get another few cm's tonight :D

Can you connect a camera to your car tonight so we can see you driving to uni tomorrow if it's snowy :huh: Some commentary would be good also :p

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
I think the best bet to assess what will happen in the next 12 hours would be to look up google and type in cloud forecasting or forecasting using clouds. That has been a very effective method for me when I have used a wee book I have on it.

Talk about irony eh :huh:

it looks like heavy showers are moving into the west of scotland from ireland

as long as the cloud is overhead i think there is still a chance of better snowfall

the band is beginning to move closer to us now

maybe snow later?

as for the cloud situation it is getting very overcast with heavy cloud nearing but no precip yet

Posted
it looks like heavy showers are moving into the west of scotland from ireland

as long as the cloud is overhead i think there is still a chance of better snowfall

the band is beginning to move closer to us now

maybe snow later?

as for the cloud situation it is getting very overcast with heavy cloud nearing but no precip yet

Looking at the ppn above NI this could intensify as it doesn't meet land until it reaches here so there is some hope for that too imo. :huh:

Posted

dsc00490qh7.jpg

dsc00491eo0.jpg

getting very heavy now

Posted
Can you connect a camera to your car tonight so we can see you driving to uni tomorrow if it's snowy :huh: Some commentary would be good also :p

lol, probably could but i'm not in at uni til 1 so it will be clear by then.

My video camera ran out of battery earlier while it was doing the time lapse... woops!

Posted
getting very heavy now

hope it comes our way!! :huh:

Posted
lol, probably could but i'm not in at uni til 1 so it will be clear by then.

My video camera ran out of battery earlier while it was doing the time lapse... woops!

Ah well, an early start wouldn't hurt :huh: . Starting to get heavier now. MON THEN

Posted

fantastic real proper snow hope everyone else gets some

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
fantastic real proper snow snow hope everyone else gets some

I think it is a case of west is best in this situation though I would still expect the east to get some snow.

Posted
fantastic real proper snow hope everyone else gets some

hope so too

we've had zilch so far but maybe as the heavy stuff packs in behind the front it will start to snow here