Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Ross B

Posted

New warnings for central & Southern Scotland - heavy snow:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Heavy Snow Sun 8 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of central and northern England, northeast Wales and parts of central and southern Scotland on Sunday. There is a potential for around 5 to 10cm of snow, particularly on hills.

Issued at: 1121 Sat 7 Feb

Posted

Issued at: 1121 Sat 7 Feb for Heavy Snow Sun 8 Feb. Wasn't there when I went to bed, I don't think.

Maybe it was, I'm loosing track.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
Nope - this was new last night : Issued at: 1121 Sat 7 Feb for Heavy Snow Sun 8 Feb

Surely that's 1121 (am) yesterday ?

I remember seeing it earlier yesterday (think I posted the upgrade then)

:diablo:

Posted

Yes - I've just got up and am not seeing straight yet. I've edited since, you'll notice...

As the husband is off to Edinburgh today for the rugby, I was checking his possible weather conditions.

Posted

Pretty parky here at the moment : -5 in my garden. Been dropping since I got up as day breaks. Heated beer tents - I'm sure he'll find them - trouble is, he'll have to watch it as he has to drive back!

My footprints from last night are filled in so it looks like we had another snow shower after I went to bed. There were certainly a lot of drunks squealing in the park ot back in the wee hours.

Posted

The front is over us, it's -6c and partial cloud above. :diablo:

I note rain/snow at the most western edges of Ireland.

Also noticed it reached -4/-6C in Stornoway last night - most unsual temps for there.

Posted

Looking here: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ -13 at the moment in Loch Glascarnoch. Pretty widespread cold last night.

The ppt coming into the very SW as sleet is starting to turn to snow over N Devon. Snow in Ireland a bit further north - it may make it into Scotland yet, as the ppt seems to be at the back of the front and not the front of the front (if you know what I mean). If you look here: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 and compare it with the radar, you see what I mean.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Potent looking or not, the radar is showing some pretty intense snow clouds over Ireland on the back edge of the front. The front of the front itself isn't dropping anything. See attached image...

post-5343-1234080825_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

apparently its over us now but isnt snowing.

Posted
Potent looking or not, the radar is showing some pretty intense snow clouds over Ireland on the back edge of the front. The front of the front itself isn't dropping anything. See attached image...

I stand corrected :)

Snowing in western Ireland: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...3189&st=561

Posted

Parts of it anyway, some seem to have the clouds overhead but no snow. Seems a bit hit and miss, but you never know. You can see on XCWeather, where the snow is falling at the moment. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Parts of it anyway, some seem to have the clouds overhead but no snow. Seems a bit hit and miss, but you never know. You can see on XCWeather, where the snow is falling at the moment. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

to be quite honest, at this stage i would take the setup shown on the 00Z as it still shows snow here for a bit on monday morning

I'm still hopeful, cause i think that the system is further north than expected, and the winds are beginning to move the front a bit further north

the met office have let us down in the past (a lot of the time) and the 00Z do seem to show reasonable snow here from around midnight

its snowing in donegal, which is quite far north

its not over yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The front will probably intensify as it crosses the Irish sea into Western Scotland.

Posted

My little nephew (who's almost 7) will be happy if the meto forecast for his location is right (hopefully the temps will drop a bit from the forecasted ones with heavy snow) - he's in Barrow and this is their forecast:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/...st_weather.html

So far any snow they've had that settled has melted as soon as it stopped falling. He's not been very happy...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Morning.

Was down to -8 C here last night at least. Now -5.5, DP -8.0. Looks reasonably promising this front.

Shall wait with bated breath...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Morning.

Was down to -8 C here last night at least. Now -5.5, DP -8.0. Looks reasonably promising this front.

Shall wait with bated breath...

for you at least!!

its touch and go for snow here but i'm still quite hopeful of some good snow later on in the night

good news!!!!!!! the 06Z shows snow here from midnight onwards

perhaps not heavy till morning but at least that's something!

the 18Z last night was the poorest run i'd seen but the charts offer some hope for us in fife/lothians/dundee

:cold:

Edited by cwpiper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!
for you at least!!

its touch and go for snow here but i'm still quite hopeful of some good snow later on in the night

good news!!!!!!! the 06Z shows snow here from midnight onwards

perhaps not heavy till morning but at least that's something!

the 18Z last night was the poorest run i'd seen but the charts offer some hope for us in fife/lothians/dundee

:o

Morning all,

-7.4C in Perth. At Dalwhinnie at 17.50 it was -6C on the car guage. Kingussie had 8 inches of level snow yesterday at 9.00 with up to 2 foot drifts in the open. Aviemore has close to 12 inches in the village. Wish we could get some action in the lowlands. What days this week is there likelihood of snow for Scotland?

Posted

Met Office:Central, Tayside & Fife: Forecast Weather

Tonight:

Clouding over this evening and overnight with snow spreading across the south of the area late evening this then moving in across the rest of the area overnight. Light winds. Minimum temperature -8 °C.

Monday:

A few snow flurries around at first but these soon dying out to leave a mainly dry day with bright or sunny spells. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Updated: 0227 on Sun 8 Feb 2009

the met office are sending out conflicting messages

Edited by cwpiper

Posted

Nice pics SC :o

Looking at the charts listed on this thread this morning, it would appear unlikely Inverness will get much from this front coming in over Ireland, other than a bit of cloud sadly. The predictions for central England look quite daunting.

Current temps -5C and sunny.

Edited by Gilly