Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
I wondered where you were and then thought you would be ramping on this thread. :lol:

Certainly looking forward to tonight. Expecting it all to kick off around 9pm onwards.

Looks to me Dave like the BBC/UKMO's original prediction of "snow north of the M4" could end up bang on.

Whatever happens though a fascinating day and night ahead for us weather watchers :)

Posted

Another hour past and Brize Norton is still(uniquely) reporting Snow & Rain.

Anyone got any explanation?

Len

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Another hour past and Brize Norton is still(uniquely) reporting Snow & Rain.

Anyone got any explanation?

Len

No idea, must be wrong because here about 80 miles North of Brize Norton the temperature is 2.8c and dew point 2.5! :lol: That dew point is WELL too high for sleet let alone snow.

Posted
Apologies to Northants Snow, I know i've been a grumpy git in here lately but I hate it when I think snow is on the way and it turns into a wash out :) I really hope it does hammer it down with snow tonight.

The ECM places the low further South than it did yesterday...

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#teg=temp

No need to apologise Andy, nothing is in the bag yet but an encouraging trend to shift it far enough south to make it the right side of marginal for many areas. Perhaps looking less good for N England but it's all swings and roundabouts, the heavier ppn was always progged further south.

No idea, must be wrong because here about 80 miles North of Brize Norton the temperature is 2.8c and dew point 2.5! :) That dew point is WELL too high for sleet let alone snow.

Same temp here although the DP is a little lower, 1.8 °C. Temps should drop away readily come nightfall though and snow potential should increase with it. :lol:

Posted
No need to apologise Andy, nothing is in the bag yet but an encouraging trend to shift it far enough south to make it the right side of marginal for many areas. Perhaps looking less good for N England but it's all swings and roundabouts, the heavier ppn was always progged further south.

Same temp here although the DP is a little lower, 1.8 °C. Temps should drop away readily come nightfall though and snow potential should increase with it. :lol:

Hehe I wonder what my good friend Yeti makes of todays developments... He was bigging it up last night and saying that it was shifting further North and Yorkshire was now in the firing line for some decent snow.

Posted

No explanation but it's definately rain in Witney which is about 4 miles East of Brize. I'll let you know as soon as I see a change in the precipitation outside of the office window.

Edited by cartedj

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Actually, I think we could be well positioned for the snow, Andy. The rain's managed to stay just just south of us, the mist has helped to keep the ground temp low so far today and I don't know about you but I've still got a couple of inches of snow on my back lawn. We may not get the really intense precipitation that some in the south will be getting but once it rolls in, we've got the best chance of snow/blizzards in the whole country by the look of things.

Posted
I wondered where you were and then thought you would be ramping on this thread. :lol:

Certainly looking forward to tonight. Expecting it all to kick off around 9pm onwards.

Portsmouth west

Been raining since 10pm last night, getting progressively colder (7degs an hour ago, now 5degs) heavy rainfall, wind rising and sky white out, and far more snowlike clouds,

(this is a womans view!) so scuse me,

but "Inner" feelings are its going to be nasty tonight,

ps how can I add my area under my name etc

Edited by doggroomingangel

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

its still totally dry (fingers crossed) where Im working not far from wolverhampton......

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well, Brize Norton showing as rain here:

Brize Norton

Posted
Actually, I think we could be well positioned for the snow, Andy. The rain's managed to stay just just south of us, the mist has helped to keep the ground temp low so far today and I don't know about you but I've still got a couple of inches of snow on my back lawn. We may not get the really intense precipitation that some in the south will be getting but once it rolls in, we've got the best chance of snow/blizzards in the whole country by the look of things.

Maybe :) I hope it's not just an hour of snow on the back edge and then it's gone.. That would be gutting. We need at least 3-4 hours of heavy snow to make this a worthwhile event!

Posted
Maybe :) I hope it's not just an hour of snow on the back edge and then it's gone.. That would be gutting. We need at least 3-4 hours of heavy snow to make this a worthwhile event!

That is also my worry.

If it only starts snowing at 9 thats way too late and would only give us an hour of snow or something like that.

Posted

yea i was thinking exactly the same about the mist keeping ground temp low!

Im bl##dy excited about tonight! It better happen for us otherwise i will cry! :)

Posted
That is also my worry.

If it only starts snowing at 9 thats way too late and would only give us an hour of snow or something like that.

You realise the band won't move away until well into Tuesday morning, right?

Posted

All seems bang on track so far from yesterdays BBC/MO forecast.

Light rain here in Solihull at the moment.

Should start turning to snow between 4pm to 6pm for south Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Steady drizzle out in the sticks of northern Northants and lying snow from last nights thawing rapidly, although not having much impact on deep snow from last Friday.

Temp 3.6c

Dewpoint 2.1c

Posted
You realise the band won't move away until well into Tuesday morning, right?

If you look on the BBC charts on their website the band moves away by 6am the the latest!

Posted
If you look on the BBC charts on their website the band moves away by 6am the the latest!

Even based on that, rain turning to snow at 9pm would give 9 hours of snowfall.

Point proven. :)

Posted

3hours from now im hoping to here reports of sleetiness from parts of wales, if so the bbc should be on track.

Posted
Even based on that, rain turning to snow at 9pm would give 9 hours of snowfall.

Point proven. :lol:

True true :) I'm still baffled as to why they show rain on the back edge of the band, surely by that time the colder air will have sweeped Southwards and any precip left around by 6am would be snow for the Midlands and Southern areas?

Posted

Mist has suddenly lifted now.

Wonder if Birmingham will do a blanket closure of all schools again IF the snow is bad, they got stick for it last time and didnt do it for when they should of the second time! I dont agree with blanket closures, let headteachers decide, especially a place the size of Birmingham!

Anyway, back on topic..

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather