Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
The forecast is for rain turning increasingly to snow tonight/early tomorrow which seems perfectly plausible.

The warnings will be updated in the next few hours so keep an eye on the Met Office website.

You got to admit mate, today is very mild. :D only got about 8 inches left in the back garden :o

From our local weather station in pitsford.

Current temperature: 1.6 °C

Maximum temperature*: 1.6 °C at 09:45

Minimum temperature*: -1.2 °C at 03:15

Wind Chill: 1.6 °C

Relative humidity: 100 %

Dew Point: 1.6 °C

feels a lot warmer than 1.6 imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
You got to admit mate, today is very mild. :D only got about 8 inches left in the back garden :o

24hrs ago the rain would arrive here at 3pm and start turning to snow

The rain has arrived 5 hrs early

I cant help but think the snow has been over cooked , maybe some back end stuff further north cira 3am ?

Hope Im wrong

Posted

This "back-end-stuff" is usually feeble.

With the last LP we saw this; as the precipitation began to retreat SouthEastwards it fizzled .

Posted

24hrs ago the rain would arrive here at 3pm and start turning to snow

The rain has arrived 5 hrs early

I cant help but think the snow has been over cooked , maybe some back end stuff further north cira 3am ?

Hope Im wrong

Yep, i was not expecting any rain until mid afternoon.

It's come way to early..

I've just checked the METO again, still saying heavy snow :o

The '' Blizzards, whiteout'' conditions are not going to happen.

Posted
Yep, i was not expecting any rain until mid afternoon.

It's come way to early..

I've just checked the METO again, still saying heavy snow :lol:

The '' Blizzards, whiteout'' conditions are not going to happen.

They will happen somewhere further north.

Posted

Currently 7.1 here in sunny Bournemouth and chucking it down with rain as usual, cant see anyone getting snow from this something dramatic would have to happen regarding temp drop.

Posted
You got to admit mate, today is very mild. :D only got about 8 inches left in the back garden :lol:

LOL @ "only 8 inches" and 2C being mild. Your expectations have been raised after the past week clearly! I still think there is a good chance of some back edge snow for us early on Tuesday as currently forecast by the BBC/UKMO. Here's what Pitsford Hall makes of the situation for our neck of the woods tonight & tomorrow:

GENERAL SITUATION ACROSS THE UK

A deep low to the south-west is set to bring a severe winter storm across the southern half of the UK later today. Strong winds and drifting snow will become a major hazard for many areas.

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

Driving conditions on minor routes are treacherous this morning following the heavy snowfall yesterday evening and motorists should exercise extreme caution. The day, however, has started dry albeit rather overcast, although we are looking at rain moving up from the south-west later today accompanied by a strengthening southerly wind. Highs today will reach 2C. The rain will continue through the evening, although after mid-night it will turn increasingly to heavy snow. As the wind continues to strengthen and back north-easterly blizzard conditions are likely in exposed areas. Overnight lows will fall to 0C.

OUTLOOK

Further snow showers are likely tomorrow morning, these slowly clearing away eastwards during the afternoon. The wind will also tend to ease. However, serious disruption to transport is likely for a time during the morning.

http://www.brixworth.demon.co.uk/updates/weather7.htm

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
LOL @ "only 8 inches''

:lol:

They will happen somewhere further north.

Yes they will mate. but not in the midlands .South yorkshire and maybe the southen counties of North West England.

Posted
:lol:

Yes they will mate. but not in the midlands .South yorkshire and maybe the southen counties of North West England.

Reports of sleet at Brize Norton + Little Rissington

Posted
hi guys what are the chances of Wolve's mate? :lol:

The latest ukmo 48hrs model has edged the low slightly further south compared to the 00hrs run and the mild sector is also a bit smaller. That should bring the snow line further south, I would say its looks good for the West Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Currently 7.1 here in sunny Bournemouth and chucking it down with rain as usual, cant see anyone getting snow from this something dramatic would have to happen regarding temp drop.

Its 2c here with 90% snow cover but now light drizzle (was rain before)

It was never going to be a event for the costa Bournemouth although my surprise is the rain arrived much more earlier then expected, although im told its frontal stuff

This maybe more of a T0.005 job

Im happy if we dont go above 3c today and drop back after dark we will see

Posted

i was jus going to say the low does not seem to b pushing north.it jus seems to be going east judgind by the satellite imagery which is why the lastest ukmo model output has jus shifted it back slightly south.leicester could do well now :lol: .wher cn u find the lastest ukmo 06Z and 850 pha temps

Posted
Latest UKMO has edged the low a little further south and the mild sector is less extensive.

That is EXCELLENT news for this region later tonight.

Round 5 :lol:

fingers crossed, i will still have about 5 or 6 inches still left :D

Posted
While other places in Oxfordshire are seeing rain. elevation might be a help.

I am 500 feet asl. Quinton about 10 minutes drive away has 700 feet, Tom in Sedgley is 750 asl. Hell even Birmingham City centre is over 500 feet. Thats why I think the Wesrt Midlands will do well

Brize Norton isnt that high at about 350, but still higher than your location . Although of course Little Rissington is over 700

Edited by At least it will be mild

Posted
I am 500 feet asl. Quinton about 10 minutes drive away has 700 feet, Tom in Sedgley is 750 asl. Hell even Birmingham City centre is over 500 feet. Thats why I think the Wesrt Midlands will do well

Brize Norton isnt that high at about 350, although of course Little Rissington is over 700

Rain is starting to get a little heavier here :D it's becoming harder on the conservatory :D

The house facing me had a full covering on the roof this morning, now i i can see patches :lol:

Posted

The rainfall is keeping juist south of us, which we want it to do for as long as possible. Moving up around tea time would be good. Big ask to keep it at bay untill then. Have to protect the snow base and my snowman at all costs

Posted

Brize Norton isnt that high at about 350, but still higher than your location . Although of course Little Rissington is over 700

Yeah, elevation will certainly help so you are well located in that respect :o

Don't think it will be crucial for the whole night though.

Posted
Rain is starting to get a little heavier here :D it's becoming harder on the conservatory :D

The house facing me had a full covering on the roof this morning, now i i can see patches :o

The rain will wash all the snow away before theres even a chance of it turning to snow imo :( this has started at the wrong time of day, we need it to be delayed to start after dark to give us a chance

Posted

No, I think later in the night snow will fall down to sea level, from about Oxford North. Its the first few hours where the higher up you are the better. Once we get past 5 pm and nightfall, things get easier as well.

Its quite cool watching rain turn to snow as well

Also worth remembering what you see on the radar is just the first pulse, there may be several of these before the really heavy stuff arives. Thats the stuff we want after dark.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

north of J6 of the M6 looks like best potential for snow based on current info.

if it rains in sedgley/dudley then that could spell problems as its usually one of the first places to see rain turning to snow when its touch and go as its looking like today. ive known heavy snow in dudley then rain in central birmingham.

Posted

The only hope imo is that the heavier precip is forecast for here and i presume anywhere else this far north for after 9pm, by which time hopefully we will start to see a change

Posted
The rainfall is keeping juist south of us, which we want it to do for as long as possible. Moving up around tea time would be good. Big ask to keep it at bay untill then. Have to protect the snow base and my snowman at all costs

Rain is getting quite heavy now :o the house opposite,the roof is almost clear now.

The sounds on the conservatory are not pleasant :D

Edited by Lancs_Northants