Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
that is the chart they used to show the air pressure on the 10oclock forecast im certain of it as i thought then they had it slightly further north than the models, and that appears to be exactly the same as what they showed, so they must have made the forecast already using that data.

Impossible, it's only just been released! They will have been using FAX output I reckon.

Posted

Just been playing with the BBC weather site putting in some postcodes.

The ones showing heavy snow are in Oxfordshire (OX1) and Buckinghamshire (MK1)

Birmingham B1 just says cloudy.

Coventry CV1 says sunny intervals all day.

BBC website is not known for it's accuracy though, but it's interesting.

Posted

What a thread ! Never seen such a dangerous yet so marginal situation. Either we will ahve to build a new noahs ark or a ton loads of snow huts. Second one will do me fine :lol:

Posted

In Oxford I'm pretty resigned to the fact that the very best I will get is a couple of hours of wet non-settling snow at the end. I just can't see snow happening if it starts during the day, as it does, and uppers are close to +2-3 degrees, as they are. Even today when the snow started during the day it was very wet and struggled to settle, and it was very heavy indeed. So. I hope I'm proven wrong, but can't see it happening.

And regarding the beeb's five dayers. They're shocking really. I've looked myself, and not even to be showing showers, or light rain, or any kind of ppn from monday to wednesday for somewhere like Birmingham is appalling, and not the least bit irresponsible - they have a responsibility.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

No downgrade - and roger (I think it's roger?!) has posted a forecast on the channel low watch thread.

He mentions the S word for the midlands :D

Let the snowmaggedon ramping begin!!!!

Posted

No, that's just fronts stretched out ahead of the low. The low itself is still way to the SW and is not yet visible on the radar

Posted
No, that's just fronts stretched out ahead of the low. The low itself is still way to the SW and is not yet visible on the radar

Thanks, thats what I thought. Its all rain from those fronts though, not even a hint of sleet. A bad sign?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Thanks, thats what I thought. Its all rain from those fronts though, not even a hint of sleet. A bad sign?

There will be no wintry precpititation in it till at least after 5pm.

Posted

I didnt think we would see any precpititation untill much later in the day. looks like the rain band could reach us in the next couple of hours. Seems to be around the Hereford area already

Posted

Was forecast to have heavy snow for us.....BBC have the snow now further north, missing this county, predicted Heavy Rain now.....how typical! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

going to start as rain maybe for 3 hours, looks like turning to snow at 9pm ish, snow i find doesnt stick on wet ground, the main problem last night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
going to start as rain maybe for 3 hours, looks like turning to snow at 9pm ish, snow i find doesnt stick on wet ground, the main problem last night

If heavy enough it can. It happened to me last night. Last October was a good example. And remember January 2004? That occurred because the rain washed the grit off the roads and froze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

snow does settle on wet ground every time , it did it yeaterday hear in less then 5mins , it was drenched. this will be big, read the latest update on the 'trackng the channel low' up tp 20cm. The lady giving the brrakfast report for the midlands , plays the accumulations down tho, she did the same last night, jay wynn said 20cm, then 30min later usung the same graphics and highlighting the same warnings she blurted out another 1-2 inc which sort of annoyed me cause a winter storm with blizzards does mean a lot more than that!!!!!!!!! just like when other forecasts forecast a 'flurry' when we're expecting heavy showers!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I too think it will lay if the snow is heavy enough cos lastnight it also did the same here!! I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the snow laying on the very wet ground here! It was fab! The snow is still here this morning but not for long :lol: .

Im off work today yay! :lol:

so i will be keeping track of the charts and hanging around here today :o

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

A colleague heading my way, has just enquiried as to conditions as it's currently raining where they are in mid-Oxfordshire

Edited by kar999

Posted
If heavy enough it can. It happened to me last night. Last October was a good example. And remember January 2004? That occurred because the rain washed the grit off the roads and froze.

October 31st was a perfect example if if not could end up exactly the same (timing wise). It started rainign here around 10.30 and non stop till about 4ish and heavy too. Puddles were evrywhere with groun d absolutaly soaked and i was saying to my self it might as well rain on. BUT it only took 2 hours of moderate to heavy snow that give us around an inch!!

January 2004 is a good example and February 2001 is possibly most comparable when rain turned to very heavy WET snow giving 3 inches in favoured spots.

Posted

arghhh! work just phoned! I need to go in from 3 to 8 now!

nevermind! i'll still get back here in time to do lamp post watch later :lol: .

I have a good feeling about tonite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
A colleague heading my way, has just enquiried as to conditions as it's currently raining where they are in mid-Oxfordshire

Its light drizzle in north oxfordshire

This wasnt expected even if it is advanced frontal stuff

At this rate the lying snow will have gone before any interesting stuff arrives :o

Posted
Its light drizzle in north oxfordshire

This wasnt expected even if it is advanced frontal stuff

At this rate the lying snow will have gone before any interesting stuff arrives :D

I still cannot understand why the meto STILL has this region down for heavy drifting snow. :o

They need to open their windows and shove their heads out.

It's the mildest day here since last Monday.if it gets any warmer ,I'll put my shorts on and sit in the garden. :D

Posted

The forecast is for rain turning increasingly to snow tonight/early tomorrow which seems perfectly plausible.

The warnings will be updated in the next few hours so keep an eye on the Met Office website.