Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & East Anglia

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

For the south east corner region it is going to be basically wet and also very windy (nothing overly strong though) with the ppn becoming more wintry in nature later tonight and especially tomorrow morning. But proper settling snow looks very unlikely. Essentially a colder southerly tracking version of the atlantic gunk we often endure.

I'm only intererested in the weekend onwards, when this marginal low buisness will have long cleared off and some blocking will start arriving and hopefully the north sea snow machine will crank into action to provide a snowy end to the winter for the region (and beyond perhaps).

Still believe that a colder version of the Feb 05 spell awaits. :lol:

Posted
For the south east corner region it is going to be basically wet and also very windy (nothing overly strong though) with the ppn becoming more wintry in nature later tonight and especially tomorrow morning. But proper settling snow looks very unlikely. Essentially a colder southerly tracking version of the atlantic gunk we often endure.

I'm only intererested in the weekend onwards, when this marginal low buisness will have long cleared off and some blocking will start arriving and hopefully the north sea snow machine will crank into action to provide a snowy end to the winter for the region (and beyond perhaps).

Still believe that a colder version of the Feb 05 spell awaits. :lol:

Agree with that, better prospects from Friday onwards and also think we get another large bite of the cherry. There are good signs of blocking further west later on :D

Agree with that, better prospects from Friday onwards and also think we get another large bite of the cherry. There are good signs of blocking further west later on :D

There is going to be plenty of cold air available to our north and east to tap into - and the blocking looks to become ideally situated. Fingers crossed! :lol:

Posted
Are we being serious? I mean blocking again? Fill me in please :o

There is some reasonable high pressure over Greenland and Scandanavia from around Friday onwards, and also as North sea snow convection said, some cold pools to tap into :D

Edited by dallas

Posted

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to flood watch now!

London & South East England:

Brighton + Hove E Sussex Hampshire Isle of Wight Kent Medway Portsmouth Southampton W Sussex

Heavy Rain 1100 Mon 9 2100 Mon 9

Rain will become prolonged and at times heavy during today, with 20 to 30mm falling in many areas and up to 40mm falling in hilly areas. This warning is likely to be updated and extended this evening. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency Floodline and 'Flood Warnings in Force', and also to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0826 Mon 9 Feb

London & South East England:

60% Bracknell Forest 60% Brighton + Hove 60% E Sussex 60% Gtr London 60% Hampshire 60% Isle of Wight 60% Kent 60% Medway 60% Portsmouth 60% Reading 60% Slough 60% Southampton 60% Surrey 60% W Berkshire

60% W Sussex 60% Windsor + Maidenhead 60% Wokingham

Heavy Rain 1500 Mon 9 2359 Mon 9

Outbreaks of rain will be persistent and at times heavy. Accumulations of 25 to 35mm are expected. Combining this with melting snow, this may lead to localised flooding.

Issued at: 1225 Sun 8 Feb

www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
Perhaps the thread title should be changed to flood watch now!

www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Hey,

I have a some work people flying out from Heathrow tomorrow 2.45 pm. Someone has raised a concern about snow. I think it's unlikely but wanted to get other opinions.

Verdicts on how the snow will be tomorrow am - sorry I should say one person is coming from london to heathrow and one from wycome way.

Edited by Clippyjo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Hey,

I have a some work people flying out from Heathrow tomorrow 2.45 pm. Someone has raised a concern about snow. I think it's unlikely but wanted to get other opinions.

Verdicts on how the snow will be tomorrow am - sorry I should say one person is coming from london to heathrow and one from wycome way.

There will not be any at Heathrow, probable sleet by that time. To be fair there is probably more chance of the runway flooding than being snow bound.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
There will not be any at Heathrow, probable sleet by that time. To be fair there is probably more chance of the runway flooding than being snow bound.

Tis what I said :)

I got looked at in horror so said I'd get a second opinion!

It is obviously going to be very wet, and flood prone areas obviously have to be alert with some concern, but I don't think there is anything exceptional about this event. We have many occasions each winter when the amounts of rain predicted with this event have occured, and with stronger wind risks as well.

The main factor about this system is that many of us in the region are going to miss out on the potential snowfalls on offer. But c'est la vie, winter is far from over yet :) .

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
It is obviously going to be very wet, and flood prone areas obviously have to be alert with some concern, but I don't think there is anything exceptional about this event. We have many occasions each winter when the amounts of rain predicted with this event have occured, and with stronger wind risks as well.

The main factor about this system is that many of us in the region are going to miss out on the potential snowfalls on offer. But c'est la vie, winter is far from over yet :lol: .

It was said tongue in cheek :D

To be fair I am suprised anywhere is going to be seeing snow, to me this just looks like a deep low tracking a little bit further south than usual with a lot of mild air wrapped up in its circulation.

Do we think the Met are now a little bit paranoid and over compensating to avoid any blame?

Maybe some back edge snow, but I just cannot see it settling away from high ground.

Edited by mam500

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

In times like these you have to do a bit of straw clutching....

My snow risk on NW has gone up from around 25% to 70% tomorrow... :lol:

Posted

The Snow Band is not even on the Radar yet (Still Out In The Atlantic) This Rain is from the 2 Warm Fronts extending in front of the Low Pressure, As the Low moves down the English Channel later this evening from 22z onwards then the North West Side gets Cold Air into its Circulation way to the North West and Turning the Rain to Snow over E Wales, W Midlands etc, WAA Killing off any chance for us until at least Early doors Tuesday for Higher Elevations in the South East (Eg Biggin, Bucks, Dunstable, Beds etc)

Paul S

Posted

Well, I have to say, this ensemble output is, in my opinion, absolutely remarkable:

post-5986-1234186582_thumb.png

Cold to very cold for the foreseeable, and predictable, future.

First sub-zero CET seen for many years, perhaps?

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

Julie's been on with the local forecast. (Look East)

She said the west of the region should see snowfall overnight, and mentioned the following counties in particular; Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, parts of Norfolk.

Heavy rain the main problem further south and east with a risk of localised flooding.

Posted

Still believe that a colder version of the Feb 05 spell awaits. :)

Hi NSSC

Do you think higher elevations will get snow later tonight . Last Friday it took me 3 hours to get home from Bromley to Biggin Hill(7 miles) as it was hit by unexpected heavy snow for a short period which gave about 6cms of snow. This caused bedlam as the roads had not been gritted. Unfortunately many cars were abandoned including my own which resulted in a 2 mile walk across the snow fields of the North Downs in the dark and it is quite remarkable how easy it was to find footpaths through normally pitch black woods because laying snow lit the way.

Very Christmassy scene in the morning . The surrounding areas lower down only had sleety rain.

If your prediction is correct for a repeat of Feb 05, but a colder version that would be fantastic, as the Downs had laying snow for over fortnight and the snow was of the dry and crisp version which is my kind of snow. :(

Regards CND

Edited by charlton north-downs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

where's stevie m. ?

Posted
Well, I have to say, this ensemble output is, in my opinion, absolutely remarkable:

post-5986-1234186582_thumb.png

Cold to very cold for the foreseeable, and predictable, future.

First sub-zero CET seen for many years, perhaps?

Those Ensembles Scream North and North East Blocking to me Mr Plank! Which is what the Meto were alluding to when they updated The Guardian last week and what the ECM Has been showing for the last week, GFS Will probably catch on again at a later date :(:)

Paul S

**Much Colder 2nd half to Feb Might be coming Up** As I said last week if you think this is Cold it Can get A LOT COLDER And make this seem like a week in Tenerife

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Here at Corton in North Suffolk we have had no snow whatsoever in 2009, and long may this continue.

Just to let you know this is " SNOW WATCH " not i hate snow and don't ever want to see it watch :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
Just to let you know this is " SNOW WATCH " not i hate snow and don't ever want to see it watch :(

well said some people are such spoilers :)

Posted

Could you be so kind as to point me in the direction of the "I Hate Snow and Don't Ever Want To See It Watch" topic, so that I can post in the correct area.

Many thanks.

The Snow Band is not even on the Radar yet (Still Out In The Atlantic) This Rain is from the 2 Warm Fronts extending in front of the Low Pressure, As the Low moves down the English Channel later this evening from 22z onwards then the North West Side gets Cold Air into its Circulation way to the North West and Turning the Rain to Snow over E Wales, W Midlands etc, WAA Killing off any chance for us until at least Early doors Tuesday for Higher Elevations in the South East (Eg Biggin, Bucks, Dunstable, Beds etc)

Paul S

Paul I may be wrong but I suspect the low & subsequent PPN may be on a slightly southerly track & also looking at the surface obs snow MAY be earlier & more widespread than first thought-

What do you think?

as for the ensembles- still concerning wrt the operational

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Could you be so kind as to point me in the direction of the "I Hate Snow and Don't Ever Want To See It Watch" topic, so that I can post in the correct area.

Many thanks.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=52565

Done , use the whining thread :(