Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Midlands, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted
Still snowing moderately, at a guess around 7-8cm of snow so far, one of the best surprises for a long time :D .

Stunning scenes :D Coming down pretty heavy still :clap:

Posted

I'm exhausted!

Three and a quarter hours to drive 32 miles home from York! The last 16 from Malton took all but half an hour of that.

Normally don't use that route but the A166 was only open to 4WD at Garrowby.

A good 4 inches here and more on the tops and it's drifting as well.

Some people really have no idea how to drive in the snow, even people with 4WD were somehow managing to get into difficulty. The only bit I couldn't do was the final slope up to the house.

Good to see some of those in the east getting some snow today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
What a day! ....starting to stop snowing now! .... just over a foot! :) had to abandon car and walk home!

A foot? Are you sure? Where are you?

Posted

God knows what it's up to out there now, but there seemed to be a decent fall as I was walking back home from the QMC in Nottingham. Plus, emergency vehicles racing around with sirens more than usual - what is it doing to this city?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

covering of snow this morning, now snowing again here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
God knows what it's up to out there now, but there seemed to be a decent fall as I was walking back home from the QMC in Nottingham. Plus, emergency vehicles racing around with sirens more than usual - what is it doing to this city?

Yeah it was chaos around 6 with University Boulevard, the Ring Road and all the main roads in Lenton gridlocked. And alot of sirens too - no doubt a right mess on the roads! I carefully weaved my way through it all along the back streets... I probably passed you!

Posted
A foot? Are you sure? Where are you?

That'll be in kentimetres :angry:

Mixture of rain, hail & snow now, looks like game over for this one.

Amazingly its still snow here.

Its turning to a wintry mix in the west of the precipitation zone as that area is under warmer uppers than further east. This reminds me very much of the January 2004 thundersnow event, that too came from a band of snow moving south and had more marginal air on its western flank. In this case though, its all much further east.

Snow depths here vary from 3-6cm depending on where you are in the city. Its most definitely the best snowfall here since March 2004 and completely unexpected at that.

Just driven 5 miles to work and it took 45 minutes. The roads are shocking and some people just dont have a clue how to drive in the snow. I was nearly rear-ended as I approached a roundabout because some guy in a 4x4 thought he could sit up my backside. Also saw a white van overtake a car going 20mph in a 30 zone and nearly hit a lampost.

Edited by reef

Posted

Still snowing here, really can't believe it!!!! about 4 inch on grass, about 2 inch over grass I used to build sowman 2 hours ago will try and post pictures later if I can work out how.

Posted

still snow here - great scenes - forecasters left with a lot of egg on faces. news of people stuck in cars in east yorks and lincs -

Posted
Yeah it was chaos around 6 with University Boulevard, the Ring Road and all the main roads in Lenton gridlocked. And alot of sirens too - no doubt a right mess on the roads! I carefully weaved my way through it all along the back streets... I probably passed you!

Yeah, we go out the south block of QMC, and onto Gregory Avenue (I think that's the name) which goes up to Derby Road! This was at about 6 too as it happens! Definately not walking to Canal House in those conditions, I'd be a snowman! Bus it is!

Appears to have stopped for now in NG7.

Edited by butler_son

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Net weather radar still on the blink thinks it's snowing/ raining here but actually doing very little indeed. First time I've ever seen it be that far out with rainfall.

I noticed the same, Pit. The radar showed about half an hours worth of moderate-heavy precipitation right over me but there's never been anything more than light snow or very light freezing rain, in marked contrast to Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire by the sound of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I'm half way between Beverley town and the coast.

Still moderate snow here, I've just popped out with my tape

and we have just short of 2".

After all the hours of snow, I thought it might have been more,

but I'm not complaining :whistling:

Sounds 'bad' in parts on the roads tonight.

BL.

Posted

sad to say the snow has stopped here now, and there are signs of thawing.

can't complain though - theres about 1cm pretty much everywhere, and its pretty to look at :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Soon will melt milder air pushing in here already. 3.6c going up at an rate of 2.2C/hr unless this is a mild sector.

Posted
Soon will melt milder air pushing in here already. 3.6c going up at an rate of 2.2C/hr unless this is a mild sector.

Its milder air associated with the system that gave the snow today (Sheffield looks to be under -1C 850hPa for a time tonight). By 5am the colder 850hPa air is moving back in from the north-east and looks to remain over the region until early saturday morning.

The models arent showing it (like last night) but with the wind coming from the NNE associated with the cold uppers there could be a few light wintry showers tomorrow.

I think you're right on the thaw though, I can already hear the familiar 'drip drip' and the back edge of the band was a wintry mix.

10am tomorrow, cold uppers coming back:

post-2418-1234469177_thumb.png

Edited by reef

Posted

really pleasantly suprised to say that at last i have seen heavy snow, about 2-3 inches of laying snow at sea level.

cleared now and no doubt a thaw sooner rather than later

as they say better late than never. :):D:)

Posted
Its milder air associated with the system that gave the snow today (Sheffield looks to be under -1C 850hPa for a time tonight). By 5am the colder 850hPa air is moving back in from the north-east and looks to remain over the region until early saturday morning.

The models arent showing it (like last night) but with the wind coming from the NNE associated with the cold uppers there could be a few light wintry showers tomorrow.

I think you're right on the thaw though, I can already hear the familiar 'drip drip' and the back edge of the band was a wintry mix.

10am tomorrow, cold uppers coming back:

post-2418-1234469177_thumb.png

Slight rise here and snow has cleared.

Interesting temp gradient today. From a min at 0400 a steady rise to 1.2 at noon followed by a steady fall to -0.6 this afternoon. Since clearing is now-0.4.

really pleasantly suprised to say that at last i have seen heavy snow, about 2-3 inches of laying snow at sea level.

cleared now and no doubt a thaw sooner rather than later

as they say better late than never. :):D:)

Almost stopped here now just north of Mablethorpe, got about 2 inches. Really enjoyed throwing snow balls at the kids before it got dark! First snowman of the year! Roads are really bad. Some of my lads still out - 21/2 hours to get from Louth to Horncastle, just to collect Market Stalls!!