Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Midlands, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Anyone witness the SHEER SIZE of the flakes that feel as this moved into the Grimsby area around 1pm? I have never ever ever seen such flakes the size these were - size of 50p coins these were simply huge! Soon after it went light again - then for a short period sleety. From around 4pm up until now its been snowing heavily - its beautiful out there must be 10cms in places! This was completely unexpected! :D

Edited by rikki

Posted
Unreal mate :D Type in LE3 and look where I am :D

you should be getting some nice moderate snow for an hour id say, its raining here now so dont get too excited

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
you should be getting some nice moderate snow for an hour id say, its raining here now so dont get too excited

I think the mild sector has hit Yorkshire now. Yeti said earlier in Harrogate there it turned to sleety rain and he is 185m ASL. here there is 2-3cm on the ground now and the heavier batch is yet to come. Well this is the last chance saloon from the snow and I am going to make the most of this because it will be all gone by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Lampost surveillance time now, still snowing heavily.

I've had hours of it now :D

So unexpected.

BL

Posted

Dont understand this, coastal areas are getting pasted, but further inland where there is no modification its begining to rain, how does this happen?

Posted
It ain't your day is it :D .

cant say much though because 2st feb i had 10cm, 5th feb i had 7cm, 8th feb had 1-2cm and today had 2cm so in all im happy still, really want to see more end of febuary but lets hope :D:D

Posted
Dont understand this, coastal areas are getting pasted, but further inland where there is no modification its begining to rain, how does this happen?

Ah true, but up until now we (Grimsby, excluding 'just a mile down the road') have barely seen any of the 'white stuff' aside from a dusting last monday. So I think we were long overdue 'our turn' ! :D

Edited by rikki

Posted

Simple really, the 850s became established accross my region/yorkshire N E england. With the dew points perfect and temps fine with the heavy snow its just continous snowfall, not forgetting the isotherm height. I cant see the warm sector affecting yorkshire lincs or NE england until 3-6am tomoz morning. Obviously anything after i would say 2am will be sleet/snow/rain mix. Could still be complete snow

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Net weather radar still on the blink thinks it's snowing/ raining here but actually doing very little indeed. First time I've ever seen it be that far out with rainfall.

Posted
Net weather radar still on the blink thinks it's snowing/ raining here but actually doing very little indeed. First time I've ever seen it be that far out with rainfall.

its raining here but its 0c with -1.2c dew ????????????????????????????? :D freezing rain!

Posted

Well am sure the local council will be busy tonight, sure didn't look they have gritted for a few days. All the B roads are getting covered quickly despite the rush hour traffic!

Ps. I wonder if we sold our salt and grit to them southern softies :D

Posted
isotherm and 850s is your problem

i know mate, just shocked how quickly this has happend, hows it looking for you? glad you lot got a good fall today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Slinging it down with snow here - already several cms have fallen right into the middle of the rush hour. It was unexpected and seems to have practically grid locked the western part of the city.

The radar shows it really intensifying just around Nottingham which is the total opposite of usual!

Needless to say - a fun ride home which had to be taken very slowly - mostly since the flakes sting your face and eyes when at any speed!

Posted

Just headed out to the swimming pool but turned back. The road down the hill was pretty snowy and the traffic at a virtual standstill. I could have got down it but worried about getting back up later. Decided to turn back.

Still snowing in Lincoln. :D

Posted

Thats the first time it's happened!!?? Nearly every snow event here in the past week has not gone how the radar said it would. Thursday we had moderate PPN over us but nothing was falling for a time then it eventually started to snow but only lightly, same for Friday and then today we had light PPN over us for an hour this afternoon and nothing was falling. It took the heavy PPN on the radar to make it snow moderate here, I don't know if it's actually snowing high up in the Atmosphere but not reaching the ground in the light stuff because of some sort of modification or high pressure making it die out before it hits the ground.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Posted
Slinging it down with snow here - already several cms have fallen right into the middle of the rush hour. It was unexpected and seems to have practically grid locked the western part of the city.

The radar shows it really intensifying just around Nottingham which is the total opposite of usual!

Needless to say - a fun ride home which had to be taken very slowly - mostly since the flakes sting your face and eyes when at any speed!

I know, it's pepped up over Notts and Leicester, makes a change! That really heavy stuff around West Notts is heading straight for Leicester.

Posted
Still snowing moderately, at a guess around 7-8cm of snow so far, one of the best surprises for a long time :clap: .

loads more coming your way!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
loads more coming your way!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL what a turn of luck!!! That proper heavy snow that was heading towards me has died out really fast and the band to your North has pepped up really fast. Unbelievable! I think I jinxed it because I told my mum it was going to snow proper heavy soon and as soon as I said that it just started to die out.

Posted
LOL what a turn of luck!!! That proper heavy snow that was heading towards me has died out really fast and the band to your North has pepped up really fast. Unbelievable! I think I jinxed it because I told my mum it was going to snow proper heavy soon and as soon as I said that it just started to die out.

be orate mate :D that is next to me but again 20miles NE of here and rain for me lol :clap: