Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Risk Discussion Part 3

Posted
The rain over the Midlands is fortunately only fairly light for the most part this afternoon (below 2mm per hour).

Just continuous light to moderate rain over here.

Yes, can confirm that, been light/moderate for several hours. The heavy stuff was this morning and last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Rain looks exceptionally intense across the SW now

Posted

Still no rain here as yet - its only 15 or so miles away. Very interesting cloud formations to my west though, the sort you see during a typical 'plume' scenario. High and 'bubbly' underneath to them similar to a blanket of cotton wool. Must be very unstable air up there

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted
Still no rain here as yet - its only 15 or so miles away. Very interesting cloud formations to my west though, the sort you see during a typical 'plume' scenario. High and 'bubbly' underneath to them similar to a blanket of cotton wool. Must be very unstable air up there

I can confirm lightning and thunder/ torrential rain here in cardiff earlier

just finished work, and I was watching it lol :) , car park next to matalan was flooded :)

Posted
Rain looks exceptionally intense across the SW now

take it from someone under it, it has been very heavy for hours now and no sign of it letting up. No storms embedded in them as yet though. just pouring rain and 0 wind, its so still its almost eerie..

kaz

Posted

Came back to Bath today and according to my brother who is still in Exeter, I missed a decent little storm there, checks out on the UKMO ATD, how annoying! He said it lasted for about 15 minutes and he saw a few flashes and there was some loud thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I cannot believe the MetO haven't updated the warnings to take action as yet. It has been raining in the SW for hours now, exceptionally heavy and its still showing no signs of moving.

I dont see why an alert would be issued once flooding has occurred and people have already become stranded in cars etc!

Posted

Last night I said...

Totally weather unrelated, but it's quiet weatherwise, well is now. But tune in over the weekend where things could get wild, but rather chilly with it!

Phil. :)

Maybe a bit wilder than I originally thought, especially for the south west of England and Wales. :)

Here in Solihull, (or should that be SoliDull?) it's been raining steadily for the last few hours but seems to be becoming brighter now.

Regarding earlier comments, METO have given weather advisories but looking at that great lump of PPN over Wales and SW England, I think flood warnings should be in place. Looks to me like that area of heavy and possibly thundery rain has got stuck over said areas.

Phil.

Posted

The same lump of PPN is expected to pivot and move back up the country again later tonight/tomorrow is it not? Or have things changed?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Look at that cell/area of very heavy rain just NW of Cardiff, its just kept firing off all afternoon- 2-3 inches in past 4 hours in places there!

Posted

it's moving ever so slowly, but it is supposed to move northwards overnight. I've been waiting for the rain allday, just seems to be swirling in the same place

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well once again they got it wrong.

We had some heavy rain early this morning for a few hours giving 16mm. From about 11am it has been fairly dry with just the odd shower every now and again.

The beeb had us under rain for most the day, and still have us under a watch.

Posted
The same lump of PPN is expected to pivot and move back up the country again later tonight/tomorrow is it not? Or have things changed?

Hi Albion Snowman. It will pivot back up so far north, become an occlusion, possibly even intensify with sharp showers and/or thunderstorms following on behind it owing to more humid air.

An interesting few days ahead. Flooding very likely. Possibly, and I don't wish to speculate too much, but flooding maybe on a par with September 5th/6th 2008?

Be prepared and in all eventualities, please stay safe!!

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
Hi Albion Snowman. It will pivot back up so far north, become an occlusion, possibly even intensify with sharp showers and/or thunderstorms following on behind it owing to more humid air.

An interesting few days ahead. Flooding very likely. Possibly, and I don't wish to speculate too much, but flooding maybe on a par with September 5th/6th 2008?

Phil.

i agree! this could be bad! :rofl:

Posted

Things have gone extremly dark to the S and SW now looks thundery too so dark.

Posted
No your right whats over me now and has been all day is going to loop back round on its self and hit us and Wales again. dont forget this is the first drop of rain we have had for weeks so the ground at the moment will act as a sponge. Ive had extremely heavy rain all day but the ground looks to be mopping it up quit well.. no need to panic yet.

kaz x

Edited by kaz

Posted

Phil.

Oh dear. Their has been a lot of flooding around my area today and the rain has been, in comparison, light compared to heavy thundery downpours. I dread to think what will happpen if we catch a few heavy downpours which will fall on severly saturated ground.

Thanks Phil

EDIT-Thanks also to the other people who have helped me out with my question! Much appreciated. :rofl:

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

Rain now stopped but some sinister looking clouds about.

IMG_3339.jpg

And Loopydreamer, those Adidas acronyms I posted last night, I forgot the reverse of Adidas.

Adidas. "After Dinner I Did A Sh**".

Put backwards... "Sadida".

"Soon After Dat I Did Another".

Sorry! :rofl:

Phil.

Posted

it is beginning to get very dark again here too!

rain has been very light in the last hour but is slightly getting a bit heavier!

Apparently pershore have had the heaviest rainfall total so far today according to the met office, which is not far from me!