Cold?
IGNORED

June CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

15.0C for me please

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
12.6c please :drunk:

Lol, we can hope Tamara, and if you won by 0.1c I would be very happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

The 2009 El Nino is now about to reveal. Tendency in angular momentum is heading upward and those westerlies will draw up warm, moist air from the Azores. Key features to look for are the Arctic Oscillation to head back to neutral / positive territory and a pronounced Atlantic trough. High daytime maxima and even more anomalously high night time minima.

15.9C

Edited by Glacier Point

Posted

The portents are for a much more HP dominated month than last year. Looks like a coolish week to come, but I'd punt on some continental warmth later in the month.

15.0C

Posted

I've just returned from a week away without access to the internet, hence my late submission.

I predict a variable month with above average warmth... 15.8C

Edited by Jack Wales

Posted

A little something of interest to look out for over the next 5-6 days within the June CET. There is a chance (maybe Saturday or Sunday look best for the chance) of a single figure CET day - the last single figure CET summer's day was in June 1991 (in fact June 2 1991 is in the CET series the 4th coldest summer day on record) - there have been approximately 70 single figure CET days in summer since 1900.

I think we would need a clear and cold night - maybe averaging 6 across the CET zone and a mid 13s average for the stations in the daytime...

Anyway, a statistical blip to watch for.

A little something of interest to look out for over the next 5-6 days within the June CET. There is a chance (maybe Saturday or Sunday look best for the chance) of a single figure CET day - the last single figure CET summer's day was in June 1991 (in fact June 2 1991 is in the CET series the 4th coldest summer day on record) - there have been approximately 70 single figure CET days in summer since 1900.

I think we would need a clear and cold night - maybe averaging 6 across the CET zone and a mid 13s average for the stations in the daytime...

Anyway, a statistical blip to watch for.

I remember a really cold summer day a few years ago when there was talk about the 1975 June snow event. I think it was about 5 years ago at the most. How cold was that day?

Posted
I remember a really cold summer day a few years ago when there was talk about the 1975 June snow event. I think it was about 5 years ago at the most. How cold was that day?

June 19 2004 and June 2 2001 both came in bang on 10 for the day (there were a couple of low 10s last June too)

I am just going to check the synoptics for those days...

June 19 2004 was a slack(ish) NW flow with upper air between 0 and -5 so there was probably some soft hail over the hills and the Highlands were no doubt 'interesting' for midsummer.

June 2 2001 was a fairly tight Northerly with cold air sweeping down but it was atrainsitory feature by the looks of things - would have been cold over the Highlands and possibly wintry, just cold further south.

June 19 2004 and June 2 2001 both came in bang on 10 for the day (there were a couple of low 10s last June too)

I am just going to check the synoptics for those days...

June 19 2004 was a slack(ish) NW flow with upper air between 0 and -5 so there was probably some soft hail over the hills and the Highlands were no doubt 'interesting' for midsummer.

June 2 2001 was a fairly tight Northerly with cold air sweeping down but it was atrainsitory feature by the looks of things - would have been cold over the Highlands and possibly wintry, just cold further south.

Thanks for that, i thought it was cold :clap:

How warm was the coldest ever summer day?

Posted
Thanks for that, i thought it was cold :lol:

Good question.

2nd June 1953 Cape Wath had a max of 7.2C. Probably been 6/7C in the Highlands at some point.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Watch the CET take a sharp nose diver over the coming days, some preety low maxima looks likely by the weekend, the lengthy cool spell that is upon us will cancel out the very warm start.

Posted
Thanks for that, i thought it was cold :(

In CET terms, the maxima/minima average lowest in Summer is 7.3 which has been recorded twice

In recent times, June 2 1991 came in at 7.6 and is the fourth coldest summer day on record

Thats about 3 by night and 12 by day I guess - a cold and clear night - like last night but colder, followed by a cloudy/wet day such as Sunday promises to be might get these sort of figures.

Looks unlikely we will get a single figure CET day now - maxima will be a little too high I think.

Watch the CET take a sharp nose diver over the coming days, some preety low maxima looks likely by the weekend, the lengthy cool spell that is upon us will cancel out the very warm start.

Yep - will likely be about 15.3 when it updates tomorrow and perhaps 14.5 or so the day after and then below the June average by the time we get to Sunday's update and maybe low 13s before things warm up again.