Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
oh i love cleeve hill!! spent summer 2004 doing my field dissertation around there and saw some incredible storms!!

Cleeve hill and Bushcombe hill I love em lol.Yes when we get a storm over the hill we don't have get a good one there.It kind of makes up for all the storms we don't get lol

Posted

the flow over the storms is from between 190 and 170 degreese, so they are roughly moving north with a bit of east in that movement, if that explains it.

as to whether they will continue over the Channel, if not low based, below 5-6000ft then probably if not then probably not!

Posted
Cleeve hill and Bushcombe hill I love em lol.Yes when we get a storm over the hill we don't have get a good one there.It kind of makes up for all the storms we don't get lol

haha they are cracking storms round there - i don't know if 2004 was an especially good year or not but i seem to remember about 4 weeks of a lot of storms and chasing them back up the M5 to birmingham!! good times!!

Posted
Look at at the heavy rain over Calais, how fast does that appear!?

I believe it is anaprop, Sat shows skies are virtually clear over the area.

OT: Where did the word 'anaprop' come from? :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The latest radar which seems to show a decrease in intensity near Dorset is the blip actually i think-it has that look in close zoom that looks like a blip. I would expect service to resume as normal on the next slide!

Posted

looking at the cloud bases over northern France and the C Isles they appear to be from low based Cb, ie: bases below 5000ft so they may well start to decrease in size and intensity over the next couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Evening all......did I miss something today?? :rolleyes:

Posted

I don't think it is can see the cloud developent.

Posted
the flow over the storms is from between 190 and 170 degreese, so they are roughly moving north with a bit of east in that movement, if that explains it.

as to whether they will continue over the Channel, if not low based, below 5-6000ft then probably if not then probably not!

so I can probably expect a good nights sleep then? hopefully,

I can always give god £20 to shove them east :rolleyes::)

Can i ask another question, what does it mean? I assume it means some some of glitch or anomaly?

Posted
he was on about the rain over Calais! :) I'm pretty sure you can't see that from Bristol :) Clear as anything here :rolleyes:

LOL NO unless i go on the highest hill aroun here with the most powerfull telescope :)

Posted

re anaprop

this is as near as any definition

Anomalous Propagation - The radar beam is refracted towards the Earth and so targets can be detected that are further away than usual.

tends to happen when the radra beam hits an inversion, and before anyone asks, yes they can and do occur in this type of situation at some height in the atmosphere. They are of course more usually seen on skew-t's in high pressure systems in the winter half of the year but do occur all through the year.

night time is the most often instance

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
looking at the cloud bases over northern France and the C Isles they appear to be from low based Cb, ie: bases below 5000ft so they may well start to decrease in size and intensity over the next couple of hours.

Mmmm, the 3 storms near the Guernsey radar are weak, two are weakening further one is stable and weak :)

Oh poooh :rolleyes:

Arr' well there is still a slight chance of seeing thunder(!) :)

Russ

Posted
re anaprop

this is as near as any definition

Anomalous Propagation - The radar beam is refracted towards the Earth and so targets can be detected that are further away than usual.

tends to happen when the radra beam hits an inversion, and before anyone asks, yes they can and do occur in this type of situation at some height in the atmosphere. They are of course more usually seen on skew-t's in high pressure systems in the winter half of the year but do occur all through the year.

night time is the most often instance

Ahh thankyou very much, I've always wondered why the heck its called anaprop. :)

Clear as a bell here, If anything major was kicking off down Calais way I'd probrably be able to see the top of it from here. :)

And you can hear lightning, if you're armed with a radio and are on the correct wavelength. :rolleyes:

Edited by jshaw

Posted

This development is going for just west of IOW and not here typical i hate living here.

Posted

Hopefully we may get some imports tonight, before they move eastwards.

I dont know about anybody else, but when we get a storm in the early hours or in the morning, a very warm sometimes even hot humid day follows with or without sunshine, does that happend to anybody else? as i always thought that thunderstorms cleared the air and made it fresher or is it more complex?

Edited by Devon-Nelly

Posted

hi guys! just got back from work which is 3 miles from my house! I was gutted cos i heard a few rumbles of thunder at work and hubby and my 2 boys had a great time in the middle of the thunderstorm at home! they said it lasted 15 mins with torrential rain, CG lightening and very loud thunder! cant believe we hardly got anything at work just a few rumbles! i was only 3 miles down the road :):rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
or even 'hearing' lightning

Logical, why didn't I think of that :lol:

Guernsey say the storms are no more(they weakened totaly), low level then...

Maybe more later, I hope :)

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
hi guys! just got back from work which is 3 miles from my house! I was gutted cos i heard a few rumbles of thunder at work and hubby and my 2 boys had a great time in the middle of the thunderstorm at home! they said it lasted 15 mins with torrential rain, CG lightening and very loud thunder! cant believe we hardly got anything at work just a few rumbles! i was only 3 miles down the road :) :lol:

The storms did grow around you while just a few miles North of you they lasted much longer and were bigger here.

Posted
Ahh thankyou very much, I've always wondered why the heck its called anaprop. :lol:

Clear as a bell here, If anything major was kicking off down Calais way I'd probrably be able to see the top of it from here. :)

And you can hear lightning, if you're armed with a radio and are on the correct wavelength.

Dover webcam

http://www.ferrycheap.com/webcam.asp

Posted
Hopefully we may get some imports tonight, before they move eastwards.

I dont know about anybody else, but when we get a storm in the early hours or in the morning, a very warm sometimes even hot humid day follows with or without sunshine, does that happend to anybody else? as i always thought that thunderstorms cleared the air and made it fresher or is it more complex?

Depends on where the storm has formed, if it has grown on a plume of hot air along a disturbance such as a trough, then a hot humid day may follow, if it has formed on a cold front, then it is likely that the air will 'clear' after it's passing.