Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
:) These storms are weak. So in total that's 4 I've seen. Two to my W with a few flashes, one forming right over me and giving one rumble and the last one which has just passed me to my E by about a mile giving a tropical downpour and alot of loud rumbles. All in all, not a success. I suppose if they hit me dead on then I'd think they're a bit stronger but honestly, nothing compare to the ones in EA or the SE.

Though as I type this, the thunder just gets louder as it moves N. Typical really. Oh and btw the Radar and Strike detector were both inaccurate today so didn't help me one bit.

I suggest you just take a tablet and calm down-many have yet to even jear or even see a strom in the distance-others might say stop being selfish.

Isolated storms will always be hit and miss, that is why the term isolated is used

scattered=rather more arounod

occasional means more likely rather than not likely to get a storm if your area is so listed

widespread=used mostly to cover the frontal or trough situation where almost everyone under the front/trough is likely get a storm.

I hope this helps you understand the terminology and also to avoid any future disappointment you may have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
:lol: These storms are weak. So in total that's 4 I've seen. Two to my W with a few flashes, one forming right over me and giving one rumble and the last one which has just passed me to my E by about a mile giving a tropical downpour and alot of loud rumbles. All in all, not a success. I suppose if they hit me dead on then I'd think they're a bit stronger but honestly, nothing compare to the ones in EA or the SE.

Though as I type this, the thunder just gets louder as it moves N. Typical really. Oh and btw the Radar and Strike detector were both inaccurate today so didn't help me one bit.

I find the strike detector on N-W radar is ALWAYS wrong, does anyone know why this is? Everytime there are storms about it either places the strikes in the wrong place or doesen't pick any up. The storm over me at the moment is producing thunder and lightning but the lightning detector on N-W radar isn't showing anything for us.

Posted
I suggest you just take a tablet and calm down-many have yet to even jear or even see a strom in the distance-others might say stop being selfish.

Isolated storms will always be hit and miss, that is why the term isolated is used

scattered=rather more arounod

occasional means more likely rather than not likely to get a storm if your area is so listed

widespread=used mostly to cover the frontal or trough situation where almost everyone under the front/trough is likely get a storm.

I hope this helps you understand the terminology and also to avoid any future disappointment you may have.

indeed, not even a flash of lightning here this year yet. Yes we've had a few rumbles, but no lightning. You saw some cracking CG's a few weeks ago weather09, I am yet to see that :lol:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

they are intensifying in the channel :lol:

first small one not far away from the coast

I must calm down.its too early to celebrate

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If i missed todays action i would be devastated but today is a day of celebration for me as a cell directly battered us for once! The Stourbridge Storm Shield finally has broken!

Everyone who has had a storm should thank those from Worcestershire and our area who cooked the storm for you lot! :lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
I find the strike detector on N-W radar is ALWAYS wrong, does anyone know why this is? Everytime there are storms about it either places the strikes in the wrong place or doesen't pick any up. The storm over me at the moment is producing thunder and lightning but the lightning detector on N-W radar isn't showing anything for us.

Personally I think the N-W detector is the most accurate Ive seen, No detector is going to be accurate, but the one on here uses a selection of different sensors around the UK to produce the closest/accurate area for the strikes. Plus im pretty sure it takes a while to update.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
they are intensifying in the channel :lol:

i have afeeling they may get shunted to the east!!

i hope not

Posted
I'm glad you just raised that point, I was thinking that anyone looking at the Radar and Strike Detector would think that there was no way I could've escaped all the storms but it seems I did just that. The cell were forming fast and were about 1-2 miles E and W of me. Even though it wasn't a success, it's good to see the return of hot weather followed by tropical downpours. Just like the good old days :angry:

No thunder here today which was rather surprising how hot it was.

I like watching storms/thundery showers from a distant or even just todays dramatic clouds still memorable. :lol:

Posted

Not wanting to get people too excited, but I can now see soild convection to my SW. Proper views of the full clouds are hidden by haze, but it is definately there. Anyone else see it at all? *Crosses fingers slightly*

Posted

i hope not

It looks that way.But according to the weather forecast they will do the opposite.......first sferic appearing in the new batch....

At present the trend is that they are growing

Might have to stay up late for this one

MW...don't forget what happened on May 25th :lol:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

i hope not

fromey,

I think they may actually :angry: hope they do as I'm in early and I don't like driving in thunderstorms :lol: , but I will await the next METO radar update and find out whats going on :cray:

Posted
there is some heavy echoes now appearing in North France..

Sat24 shows a Thunder head in this direction...will they make the channel :angry:

Even if they do die to some extent over the Channel we should fear not because they'll probably re-develop once hitting land just like last night/early this morning

Traditional plume event developing down South, with the Channel Islands having some fun.

Looks like these storms will run through Hampshire way and probrably will effect the East. :lol:

No, these are going to head more N/NW and affect Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire/Bristol.

Although there is something in my mind reminding me that Salisbury Plain has an effect on storms and very often they'll either come W or go E of the Plain - hopefuilly the former will happen this time.

I shall be sleeping with my blind open tonight.

Posted

as I've tried to explain on several occasions over this past few days.

rather than guessing or hoping, use the NW radar, then, assuming you have access to it, put the 850 then the 700 then the 500mb winds on the echoes and see what direction they may move in.

as to whether they persist then you have to look at other things but lets get one idea fixed first?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like the South West could have another shot at thunderstorms tonight, with pulses of shower activity developing over the English Channel- high level imports from France like last night. But like last night I expect the thunderstorms to be quite localised, with many places staying dry.

Model inspection suggests that the same is likely to happen tomorrow night as well.

Posted
Not wanting to get people too excited, but I can now see soild convection to my SW. Proper views of the full clouds are hidden by haze, but it is definately there. Anyone else see it at all? *Crosses fingers slightly*

shows up well on this bournemouth live streaming webcam.

http://www.livesurfcams.co.uk/index.php?op...7&Itemid=52

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Personally I think the N-W detector is the most accurate Ive seen, No detector is going to be accurate, but the one on here uses a selection of different sensors around the UK to produce the closest/accurate area for the strikes. Plus im pretty sure it takes a while to update.

Heres an example of how off the lightning detector can be... Why are there 3 random strikes nowhere near the storms? It's always like that when theres storms about, theres strikes which are 30 miles away from the storm, that is inaccurate!

post-2115-1246303963_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
they are intensifying in the channel :angry:

dogs,

I have just been outside and we now have some Ac cas forming( I think thats what they are called anyway lol)

Also some convection starting again over Cleeve hill.

One can hope lol. :lol:

Posted

Well that was fun! Haven't had an afternoon like that for ages. The thunder started here around 5pm and ended around 10 minutes ago. Not a great deal of lightning seen for the last couple of hours or so but very happy. Hopefully the start of what could be an interesting week :lol:

Posted
Heres an example of how off the lightning detector can be... Why are there 3 random strikes nowhere near the storms? It's always like that when theres storms about, theres strikes which are 30 miles away from the storm, that is inaccurate!

nothing can be perfect Andy

remember you are talking about two possibly different items

one is rainfall radar showing where ppn is falling

the other, not necessarily the same is trying to show where lightning has been detected. Lightning and thunder DO occur without rain-not often but they do-one report on here even today and as a weather observer and forecaster I could count those occasions in the 20 -30 instances. This is why the WMO (World Met organisation) who, with UK Met as part of it, have present weather 17, thunder heard but not at station and with no ppn; IF there is ppn then its a thunderstorm code 95 or higher. So you see lightning can and does occur without any ppn

obviously if there is lightning then there is also thunder

you cannot have one without the other although its quite possible to see/hear one and not see/hear the other_

hope that helps

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I can see that trough on the fax from this mornings showers, as for tomorrow I would say theres a better chance for thunder to today.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

I wouldn`t like to say what type of clouds to see probably the mid-level showery type to start with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Looks like the South West could have another shot at thunderstorms tonight, with pulses of shower activity developing over the English Channel- high level imports from France like last night. But like last night I expect the thunderstorms to be quite localised, with many places staying dry.

Model inspection suggests that the same is likely to happen tomorrow night as well.

post-4726-1246304179_thumb.png

Quite fancy the chances of high level imports.

I am moderately exited at the prospects so far, Guernsey radar please don't let us down now :lol: