Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
post-4726-1246304179_thumb.png

Quite fancy the chances of high level imports.

I am moderately exited at the prospects so far, Guernsey radar please don't let us down now :lol:

are high level and elevated ones noisy or quiet thunderwise I.e loads of lightning but little or no thunder?

Posted
Ah ok thanks for that John :lol:

no problem Andy

to anyone else who may find some of the storm things a bit confusing-please ask, or pm me, I'm a weather nut, always have been, and I'm more than happy whenever I have time to try and explain anything. If I don't know the answer I'm not afraid to say so or to try and point you in a direction where you may find the answer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Here's a view of the Meteox rainfall, cloud and lightning maps further afield. You can see the line of ppn developing towards the Cherbourg Pen. Looks as if it may get as far east as IOW, perhaps.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-...;soort=satradar

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree with what John says, but I do think the lightning detector occasionally finds lightning when it isn't there, or more commonly, fails to pick up lightning when there is some. My guess is that the problem might be due to resolution. It's no worse than Wetterzentrale's sferics detector though, and I do think it's a very good way to get a general idea of where the main areas of thunder activity are.

Posted
are high level and elevated ones noisy or quiet thunderwise I.e loads of lightning but little or no thunder?

that is usually the case as one can see mid level lightning from much further than one can hear the thunder associated with it

Posted
that is usually the case as one can see mid level lightning from much further than one can hear the thunder associated with it

john, do you know if cardiff is going to get thunder tonight or not or is the PPN going to move more east as it makes landfall? just asking

cheers

rob

Posted
post-4726-1246304179_thumb.png

Quite fancy the chances of high level imports.

I am moderately exited at the prospects so far, Guernsey radar please don't let us down now :rolleyes:

nice one Rusty

Jane Im not sure these latest cells going up will make it.......Probably die soon....but might be wrong

The ones down South Channel are coming from a different system and have a better chance of the goods..(maybe)

Posted
john, do you know if cardiff is going to get thunder tonight or not or is the PPN going to move more east as it makes landfall? just asking

cheers

rob

I've not really looked closely at over the Channel vik but will go and have a look and come back with my view

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Here could have a reasonable chance sometime tomorrow morning but it all depends on what happens further south tonight. Looks good so far...

Posted

The high res shows this to be a a good unstable plume so hopefully these storms coming out of France will be able to make it well inland.

Posted
dogs,

I have just been outside and we now have some Ac cas forming( I think thats what they are called anyway lol)

Also some convection starting again over Cleeve hill.

One can hope lol. :rolleyes:

oh i love cleeve hill!! spent summer 2004 doing my field dissertation around there and saw some incredible storms!!

Posted
Traditional plume event developing down South, with the Channel Islands having some fun.

Looks like these storms will run through Hampshire way and probrably will effect the East. :)

Yea right!! :rolleyes: Your dead if not LOL.

Posted
no problem Andy

to anyone else who may find some of the storm things a bit confusing-please ask, or pm me, I'm a weather nut, always have been, and I'm more than happy whenever I have time to try and explain anything. If I don't know the answer I'm not afraid to say so or to try and point you in a direction where you may find the answer.

What about that time you said you had thunder snow when it was 32c.

lol just kidding with ya :rolleyes:

you have helped me a few times

Posted

Can still see the tops of the Channel cells that are looking to land near Poole and they are definate CB's. Through the haze I can also see others further down the line out to sea. Can anyone confirm the increase in activity mentioned near swanage?

Posted
Can still see the tops of the Channel cells that are looking to land near Poole and they are definate CB's. Through the haze I can also see others further down the line out to sea. Can anyone confirm the increase in activity mentioned near swanage?

the radar may be on the blip it suddenly decreased in intensity 5 mins later :rolleyes::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Depends which way the wind is blowing with all storms sound wise. After dark one can see the high level storms from further away.

Latest Guernsey:- post-4726-1246305252_thumb.png They deserve it, I lived in the CI when I was a young farm lad, great fun nice people :rolleyes:

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
the radar may be on the blip it suddenly decreased in intensity 5 mins later :rolleyes::)

ahh great :) just what i was thinking was going o happen :)