Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted

Not a good week weatherwise here in Manchester, granted it's been hot (peaking at 27c today) but we've been plagued with heavy showers most days. Thunder storm at the moment...

Posted

Currently 28.1C and we are just entering the temp range which becomes unpleasant.

Personally living in a city my ideal temp is around 24C because its warm enough to sit outdoors without feeling oppressive. The only time I like temps above this is if im lying on a beach in Ibiza where I can cool down by having a swim or sinking pints of stella.

Why those who live in a city with no access to a beach want temps above 30C is utterly beyond me. I would appreciate this being explained to me i.e how does this increase your enjoyment of the weather.

Also worth mentioning that when im on a beach in Ibiza I get a lovely view i.e topless bathers. :clap:

Posted

Just got a 30.1C here :clap:

Yes eye in the sky 30.1

Posted
This weather is revolting :oops:

True heatwave weather now.

Yes I agree it's revolting if your out working in it, I had to come home after a few hours work cutting back a 20ft long hedge,

I just couldn't bare it anymore. the payoff was watching murray breeze through to the semi finals against fererro so I'm happy. ;)

Temp has dropped a few degrees in the last 3hrs from 30.2c at 13:15 to 28.1c at 17:20 :clap:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the heatwave as finally arrived max temp just under 29C so the hottest day of the year. Been sat in hot room all day and now sitting another hot room

Not a good week weatherwise here in Manchester, granted it's been hot (peaking at 27c today) but we've been plagued with heavy showers most days. Thunder storm at the moment...

Was going to post almost exactly same - here in north Cheshire, it has been warm, but distinctly cloudy and disappointing in comparison to many other areas.

For instance the MetO recorded Woodford as the sunniest station in the northwest yesterday with only 0.9 hours.

Today after a fine morning the cloud has built up once again in the afternoon preventing the temperature from matching those in the midlands and southeast. The higher humidity here however is making it feel every bit as warm.

Had a few short sharp showers this week, but I haven't noticed any thunder, and have missed the storm you have at the moment.

Much better weather today, pretty much wall to wall sunshine, and temps certainly into the mid 20s, much lower humidity as well.

Local weather station recorded 25c, and that's right on the coast probably closer to 27c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I agree with what someone said a few pages back, It has been great weather for many, but the media - BBC in particular are too quick to hype it up, classing it as a serious heatwave, when really it is not the case, this is probably what we can expect on the hottest day of the year normally, and 32C is not severe heat, and night mins have only been around 15-18C which is not that high at all, in fact many areas see these temps quite regularly in summer. It is also annoying that they class the cool down as good, no doubt next week they will be saying how the weather is too cool.

Anyway, sorry to rant, but it is annoying that everyone is complaining when we finally get some decent weather, no doubt next week people will be complaining that it is too cool. It has been very nice today, 31C after a relatively comfortable night of 17C

The Met office Heat-Health watch is a piece of arse. It only gives us in the south west a 10% risk of heatwave conditions (30/15), yet it reached 29.8C here today and reached a low of 18.8C last night, and this isn't even in a city.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

warmest day of the year for me 26.6c at 14.30pm currently 25.2c

a weather station up the road is reporting 27.7c (which is pretty impressive up here)

not looking forward to another sticky night, never dropped below 20c until 1am this morning and the low at 4.35am was only 18.3c

to be honest i am enjoying the freedom to wear shorts and t shirt in the warm weather...coz it aint gonna last!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

One of the biggest truisms with the weather is that you can never please anyone. If it isn't a heatwave you will get some complaining that it isn't hot enough, if there is you'll get people complaining that it's too hot. Similarly, we get the masses yearning for prolonged settled spells but when they come, some find them too boring, especially if there is a lot of cloud about.

You don't often see me complaining about the weather, but unfortunately you often see me complaining about people complaining about the weather lol!

The humidity has been a problem for northern and western areas today, probably because the air is sourced from the ocean and a long way south. The southeast has had continental air and thus humidity has been lower. In Exeter, meanwhile, the comfortably warm spell (24C max today according to the airport) goes on and on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Oooohya beauty! Just played 3 hours of tennis between 3-6pm and let me tell you.. It is flippin ROASTING out there. I usually have good stamina, last year I played 4 hours of tennis in 25c heat but today was TOO much. I had to rest in the shade for 15 minutes because I was close to fainting and i'd already had nearly 2 litres of water by that point lol. Just got home now, according to the nearest weather station 3 miles away, temperature peaked at 33.9c around 3-4pm. Currently 33.2c!!!

Posted

Yet again the cloud has spoilt it here, yet again we've had rain in 25C+ temps with no thunder. Sun finally came out at 4pm when it was 28C- if only this wretched cloud (mostly Sc/Ac stuff, fair weather Cu would be OK as it lets the sun through more) would **** off we could have had a 32 every day this week. Only reasonably sunny days were Wed and Thurs last week, and Sunday. So yet again it's a "close but no cigar" for Shrewsbury's weather.

Posted

Just looked at todays MO satellite pics- infuriating! Most of England and Wales south of the Humber has been sunny since 10am apart from a line of cloud down the England/Wales border- this is NOT the first time I've seen this on satellite pics during a warm spell (though it sometimes extends into Lancs and SW England). What causes these- is it something to do with sea-breeze/wind convergence (a Se'ly over E England meeting a Sw'ly further west, which you'd expect with a low to the W of Britain)? Another example I can remember was that warm day (for most) in late Oct 2005 when it was cloudy here all day.

Posted
Just looked at todays MO satellite pics- infuriating! Most of England and Wales south of the Humber has been sunny since 10am apart from a line of cloud down the England/Wales border- this is NOT the first time I've seen this on satellite pics during a warm spell (though it sometimes extends into Lancs and SW England). What causes these- is it something to do with sea-breeze/wind convergence (a Se'ly over E England meeting a Sw'ly further west, which you'd expect with a low to the W of Britain)? Another example I can remember was that warm day (for most) in late Oct 2005 when it was cloudy here all day.

Don't forget the low cloud thats plagued the eastern coasts all day! :lol:

Posted
People saying temps in their area peaked at 33-34, yeah ok. The official recording for the West Midlands was 30C according to local weather forecast. I would say the hottest temp to day was no doubt in London or surrounding areas with temps reaching 31-32C.

Wonder how long it will be before somone from the northern half of the UK starts claiming they reached 34C. :lol:

So you are the know it all of weather in every part of the country? Look on this local weather station up the road from me, look on the right hand side where it says "high" says 33.9c

http://www.oadbyweather.com/

Could be wrong but it's usually very accurate so i'm believing it for now.

Posted

Today was cooler than yesterday by a whole degree, peaking at 30.9c. It's cooled off nicely this evening, 22.3c at the moment but it's going to be a humid night again.

Posted
So you are the know it all of weather in every part of the country? Look on this local weather station up the road from me, look on the right hand side where it says "high" says 33.9c

http://www.oadbyweather.com/

Could be wrong but it's usually very accurate so i'm believing it for now.

Nice one Andy.. Being in Derby and recording 31.9c on a north facing wall of a shed but still even old time members find it hard to believe things without having seen it first... I know where you are coming from.... and I've been here since 05 and that was when I registered!! But noooo I must be a nubie becaue I don't often post and so there fore must be lying..........

My this place has got caravany since ~I was last here.

What happened to taking people at face value eh????

God you sceptics are going to good working out very very soon.............

Be as sceptical as you want but for gods sake don't close you minds..........

Posted
Don't forget the low cloud thats plagued the eastern coasts all day! :lol:

Hence the "most" :lol: I had noticed that but you expect it on the coasts, along with the flip-side of them staying sunny when cloud builds up inland. Here we often seem to be cloudy when many places are sunny in several weather setups :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Today it felt a lot fresher and now it is cooler than previous evenings, there is a bit of a breeze which is probably why, it is not cool by any means, just very pleasant at the moment compared to other evenings where there has been no wind.

Tomorrow the last proper day of this heatwave so enjoy it, Friday could still be very nice but a higher chance of thunderstorms so enjoy the sun.

Posted
Nice one Andy.. Being in Derby and recording 31.9c on a north facing wall of a shed but still even old time members find it hard to believe things without having seen it first... I know where you are coming from.... and I've been here since 05 and that was when I registered!! But noooo I must be a nubie becaue I don't often post and so there fore must be lying..........

My this place has got caravany since ~I was last here.

What happened to taking people at face value eh????

God you sceptics are going to good working out very very soon.............

Be as sceptical as you want but for gods sake don't close you minds..........

Yeh exactly, the local conditions can be different to the recorded conditions of airports and main citys. That Oadby weather station is usually bang on the money, could be wrong the last few days but I doubt it is. It felt extremely hot today, I can usually take the heat and I have played 4 hours tennis in the heat before but this kind of heat was extreme for me. I managed 3 hours tennis in it before I was very close to passing out lol and that was at 4pm when it's not supposed to be the hottest part of the day.

Plus the East Midlands was the hottest today. I looked on XCweather earlier, Coventry was 29c at 11am, Coalville 29c at 11am, East Midlands airport was 28c at 11am. London was about 26c at 11am so I already knew at that point we would probably be the hottest today.

Posted

still melting here on the east coast could easy be 30+ again working in-doors is not fun it just got to hot about 3 the sweat was pouring off me and i got me shorts on , roll on Friday expecting mother of all thunder storms here on the est coast