Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looking at the radar I think that's my lot for today. Pity no thunder or lightning was witnessed, but 17mm of rain is a fair bit I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
Ive heard 4 rumbles of thunder here in the last few minutes.It's still very dark but the rain has stopped.

Looks black down your way again now and plenty of sferics on AM (cricket :lol: ). Nothing here at the mo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

isnt there more instablility behind this gap of rain?

I would of thought as that hit land it would produce showers again?

Posted
Looks black down your way again now and plenty of sferics on AM (cricket :lol: ). Nothing here at the mo.

It's quite dark to my north, but just light rain here atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Line of v heavy showers leaving the SW at the moment - kind of has the SE's name on it, but whether they'll keep intensity by the time they have reached here is a different story. Will probably take the best part of 2 hours before they arrive, by which it will have gone 7....oh well worth the watch and wait I suppose :)

Posted
Heaviest downpour of the year just went by here, absolutely unbelievable. The drops were huge and the rain was intense. Quite surprised I never heard at least one rumble of thunder but that rain was incredible!

If you're NW Birmingham mate, I'm watching some massive Cu going by over that part of the world. And speaking of which...

Looks like it could be my turn now. :) But no thunder to be heard and definitely turbulent skies.

(Rain now coming down like stair rods!) And in the image that looks like rotation, it actually was rotating but dissipated a few seconds later.

Phil. (Whoever said Sunday's were boring?)

post-8209-1248019468_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1248019497_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1248019524_thumb.jpg

Posted

A good amount of quite towering cumulus showers about today no CB`s,did have one very heavy shower earlier,latest heavy shower just missed here just got part of it as the clouds have turned more to the W/NW.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
Weve been missing all the showers here today, just one brief one late this morning. They have all just been missing me to the north and the ones that come towards me seem to just suddenly die out before they get here. :)

Oh well im used to it i guess.

Well my luck has changed as about 20-25 minutes ago we got hit by a brief but really torrential downpour from a line of showers that looks to have formed from a sort of convergence line... just getting clipped by the very edge of another shower atm.

Posted

Line of very heavy downpours still on en route for around here!

Could be close within the next hour or so, but that is if it remains potent of course - otherwise the third light shower of the day (the last being about 11am)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Downpour number 5 now! I thought we had our lot as well for today! Lol.

Very big drops from that downpour! An excellent day here! Makes up for no storms etc. :)

Some mammatus aswell now. :):):)

Posted

Showers that were heading this way are rapidly dissipating - grrr!!!

Found this forecast from 1992 from the legendary Michael Fish - notice how different it is from today's forecasts! Almost a day in advance, confident enough to say that nasty thunderstorms are expected in the SE! Nowadays they dont get a mention until they are on the doorstep!

Enjoy anyway as if it was the real forecast - and of course the old symbols too :)

Posted

i think ive just seen a start to a funnel cloud!!! noticed it and then 3 mins later it dissapeard!!!!

Posted
Really wouldn't be surprised if there are a few reports of funnel clouds today. Just witnessed some amazing cloud structure/movement. Was some great rising motion and some slight rotation but nothing organised to suggest a funnel would drop.

Quite an interesting day, I knew that storms were unlikely but that downpour and the cloud motions just recently were pretty awesome!

Gotta agree with you there! That structure was amazing. Went to Barr Beacon and took a few shots before the heavens opened.The rain looked torrential over the likes of Dudley (as can bee seen on NW radar) as they had disappeared from view.

Posted

Here's a couple from Barr Beacon

post-1394-1248026674_thumb.jpg

post-1394-1248026756_thumb.jpg

Posted

some nasty looking storms near skegness ,hull area if the radar right at the moment

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lovely cloud-formation simon1. Thanks for sharing. :D

Posted
Nice pics there, was very similar to what I was seeing. As the shower approached there was some serious rising motion (I love that!) but it seems I missed the worst it had to offer, judging by Radar.

Re: maxdamageukno1 - does look like a ropey funnel though I can't say for definite unless it was rotating of course then it probably was a funnel. :D

i noticed it and thought nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not one, then it grew, hard to tell if it was rotating, but then it completly dissapeard! lol

Posted

More to come from the West judging by the radar. The leading edge of that last shower looked really amazing and nasty but unfortunately I didn't manage to get a pic of that. Camera is ready now though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Here's a couple from Barr Beacon

i had that as well, huge drops only for 2 minutes, most seemed to go north, then seemed to break up

Posted
Very dark to my west :D maybe one last downpour of the day in a few mins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/336check that out sufc think you might get some problems lol

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
More to come from the West judging by the radar. The leading edge of that last shower looked really amazing and nasty but unfortunately I didn't manage to get a pic of that. Camera is ready now though :D

Evening Simon

Nice pictures, which part of the Barr Beacon were you at, i spent many a day up there, in my younger days, its a very good advantage point to watch the storms coming in , but only disadvantage is that there is no shelter apart from your car!, I used to live down the road , by the Scott Arms