Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted

It keeps getting dark here, and a few showers have already passed through in the last 30 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
Not True Dave at all

Quinter (Kansas) got hit by an F2 In April 2008, Followed by a funnel Cloud in Late April 2008, it then got hit by 2 Tornadoes on the 22nd May and followed that up with 4 on the 23rd May 2008 (Included a Huge 1 Mile wide EF4)

I am also pretty sure it took a few Tornadoes in the May of 2007 but would have to research this on the NOAA Page.

So that is 8 in 2008 Alone

*Although I do think that the Fens/Lincs/Peterbrgh have the highest number of Tornadoes in the Uk and is our little Tornado Alley. Just a look at how flat it is and where it is geographically makes this the ideal place.

Paul S

In peterborough thats where I saw my first and only funnel cloud and yes it is flat which made me think it could be a good place for the uk tornado and funnel cloud alley. When i drove home I saw another one south of Kings Lynn. I don't know if anyone feels this (if you've ever been in the vicinity of a funnel cloud or tornado that the odd thing happens with just normal clouds to suggest the environment is different to that of the more common non funnel cloud event storms. Its like there is a certain conditioning to the air. The reason I say this is that after the 2 funnel cloud events I watched a low seemingly normal cloud spiral down a couple of spinning shoots just out of nowhere and there were no storm clouds around. :cray:

Edited by Greenday

Posted

I've seen two funnel clouds in the last 2 years in good old Essex funnily enough Paul, indeed I saw one a few weeks ago, rotation on it was utterly amazing, mean wind that day was from the WSW but the wind direction across the backend of this storm was easterly and it all got sucked into a central point which lowered, much more defined then the first funnel I saw a few years ago. The best thing I've seen though was a rather large dust devil, that survived a good 5-10 mins, was a cool little feature.

Anyway looks like there is slowly a line of convection forming in the SW and the models have this heading eastwards as the day goes on reaching and clearing the SE by the eveing hours. Tomorrow looks a rather interesting day, convection looks likely its going to be quite potent tomorrow. We shall have to wait and see!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Looking SSW. 10 mins ago the clouds parted briefly to reveal these biggies. Somewhere over S.Lancs, N.Wales maybe. Can't see much evidence on radar.

post-9606-1247917953_thumb.jpg

Posted

Another downpour here and it's turning into a wet day surprisingly :o

The rain looks really heavy towards the scunny town centre.

Edited by sufc

Posted

Well SUFC, that saves you from watering the garden then. Let nature do it instead. :o

As for yesterday, oh and impressive pics from other members BTW. Thank you for posting them. :o

Well, yesterday was a bit of a non event but do have some impressive cloud structures. (See attachments!) Threatening skies to the back end of the LP.

Phil.

post-8209-1247921358_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921389_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921490_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921649_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921703_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921737_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921793_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1247921874_thumb.jpg

Posted
Well SUFC, that saves you from watering the garden then. Let nature do it instead. :o

Phil.

Yes. I wasn't really expecting any showers today. The clouds are breaking now and i think thats it for today loooking at the radar.

Posted
Not True Dave at all

Quinter (Kansas) got hit by an F2 In April 2008, Followed by a funnel Cloud in Late April 2008, it then got hit by 2 Tornadoes on the 22nd May and followed that up with 4 on the 23rd May 2008 (Included a Huge 1 Mile wide EF4)

I am also pretty sure it took a few Tornadoes in the May of 2007 but would have to research this on the NOAA Page.

So that is 8 in 2008 Alone

*Although I do think that the Fens/Lincs/Peterbrgh have the highest number of Tornadoes in the Uk and is our little Tornado Alley. Just a look at how flat it is and where it is geographically makes this the ideal place.

Paul S

Blimey 8 in one year is impressive!

I was having a chat with my uncle today and it seems funnel clouds over Peterborough isn't anything new. Apparently he has seen a few of these and remembers one as a child. According to my uncle the farmers in the fens have often reported funnel clouds/tornados through the years and what is very frequent is dust devils during the summer when its dry.

Although none of these twisters have been severe, the July 2005 tornado remains the strongest we have seen. I do wonder whether in future years these may increase or even become stronger. Still I doubt these will ever match the twisters you see in the plains and hopefully one day I may join you on a storm chase. :o

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_carte...de=0&mode=2

i posted this in the model section if this right some parts of the UK will be in grave danger of flooding as is giving rain for most days up 25 July

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, the wind's gone round to the west okay; but the heavy, thundery rain has vanished into the ether...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Tomorrow may have something in the way of thundery showers/possible storms. BBC forecaster Tomasz 'Frozen Ball' Schafernaker says there could be a few thunderstorms around tomorrow though I'm not really seeing anything to suggest this on the charts. No CAPE and poor lapse rates to name a few not so good factors.

Thoughts anyone?

Aye. Isn't a 'Schafernaker' an esoteric grid-iron football manoevre??? :o

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

MW radio still crackling every now and again, also dogs barking like anything across the road, NO THUNDER yet though

However there are more heavy showers passing through at the minute, total amount of rain for month now accumulated to 123.2mm

most of that accumulated yesteday

NIGEL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Had some good thunderstorms recently, but still knowhere near as good as the one I chased near Duxford 4 1/2 weeks ago (Near Duxford).

post-1600-1247929168_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1247929204_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1247929267_thumb.jpg

Can't believe how lucky I got that day. And most of it was luck with a little bit of skill :o :)

TEITS that is interesting with regards to the funnels/Tornado's in recent times in Peterborough. There seems to have been many tubes in recent years in the triangle area I have highlighted below. With the landscape being very flat in this area (The Fens) I suspect this plays a large part.

post-1600-1247929947_thumb.png

Paul S, can you give me directions to your Bbq next Sunday. Would be great to meet up with you and other storm enthusiasts. Ta..... :)

Seasons

P.s. Does anybody want to buy my Nikon D80 (That took the pictures above) Im currently upgrading my camera equipment. Im sure some of you know how good this Nikon Camera is. I thought I would ask here first before it goes on E Bay. :o It would come with all original boxing, discs, cables, a Tamrac Pro 8 camera bag and 3 great camera Lenses. Selling all for £600. It cost me £1200 2 years ago. Pm me if interested.

Edited by Seasons

Posted

You want to sell the Nikon D80. I wish I owned one myself. And BTW. Great interview on local news. :)

Personally I'd keep it. A bit like me selling my Canon Powershot A570 IS. 7.1Mpx I just can't do it. Paid at the time £160. And have to trek down (with me included) to Exmouth in September. (Thank gawd for rechargable batteries).

Some of the pics I've posted of late wouldn't have been possible without it, and I like to share with other members what's happening even here in Solihull. Or else I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Hi everyone.

Happy Saturday. :)

Must have missed somethig last night. Woke up to find hanging basket blown off the wall - fixings and all!!

I'm off to the kent show tomorrow and was just wondering whether to pack my wellies?

xxx

Posted
Hi everyone.

Happy Saturday. :)

Must have missed somethig last night. Woke up to find hanging basket blown off the wall - fixings and all!!

I'm off to the kent show tomorrow and was just wondering whether to pack my wellies?

xxx

in Detling? :) Yeah I'd say pack your wellies just in case, showers tonight and tomorrow :)

Edited to say: we have some weak forms of mammatus here and it's turning very dark.

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
in Detling? :) Yeah I'd say pack your wellies just in case, showers tonight and tomorrow :)

Edited to say: we have some weak forms of mammatus here and it's turning very dark.

Thanks x

Posted
Woke up to find hanging basket blown off the wall - fixings and all!!

xxx

Hi ClippyJo.

Well, when that LP which delivered nothing but rain, rain, and even, more rain left, the wind was a bit gusty on its lower flank. (I'll set up a You Tube account so you can observe the fast moving clouds, Stratus Fractus predominantly).

As for wellies... I'd advise to take just in case.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks quite stormy to the south atm - though radar not suggesting anything of a 'storm' variety sadly. Is a bit of dynamic stuff at the base of the black clouds too.

Very intense looking downpour up across the borders atm!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Just looked outside again, mamma covering huge swathe of the SE skyline!

Posted

These are a couple of pics of Thursday evening,s storms,not good cause only on phone as my camera is busted,and the light was fading fast,the first couple are of an oddment i saw,a clear straight gap through the cloud as if a plane had flown through it :) ,tried to zoom in but phone camera is not good

post-8172-1247937909_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1247938015_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1247938153_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1247938318_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1247938536_thumb.jpg

Posted
Just been looking east and saw 2 flashes of lightning and heard a distant rumble.

Looks like some storms heading down the coast, would like to be at the coast now but i'm not getting out of bed!

Going to open my window and listen to the distant thunder as I drift off to sleep :)

Interesting you say that because shortly after i went to bed i saw a flash in my room and i thought it was lightning so i looked out aand thought the clouds don't look all that interesting to produce lightning(and i wasnt expecting any lightning) so i went back to sleep and saw my room lit up again but i didnt take much notice of it. So it looks like i missed 2 lightning flashes, oh well.

Posted
These are a couple of pics of Thursday evening,s storms,not good cause only on phone as my camera is busted,and the light was fading fast,the first couple are of an oddment i saw,a clear straight gap through the cloud as if a plane had flown through it :) ,tried to zoom in but phone camera is not good

Nice pics :)

Posted

is that a funnel on pics 2 + 5? :)

Posted
is that a funnel on pics 2 + 5? :o

No,it was a clear cut through the cloud,i could see the blue sky behind,just odd it was so 'clear cut',it looked too artificial as if something had cut through it :doh: ,it filled in a couple of mins later :)