Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some pictures from here today. The first ones are the real pictures followed by edited ones so they stand out better. :D

post-6797-1248029084_thumb.jpgpost-6797-1248029066_thumb.jpg

post-6797-1248029130_thumb.jpgpost-6797-1248029146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Small world hey! I live close to Barr Beacon and Scott Arms and I agree, Barr Beacon is a great place for viewing storms or cloud structure as there is nothing obstructing your view, apart from a few pylons :D

I used to live down in Appleton Avenue,

Anyway we used to go to the Barr Beacon when we use to be on the Cb radios , now i am showing my age

Not sure how high the Barr Beacon actually is but its a great viewing place

Posted
Evening Simon

Nice pictures, which part of the Barr Beacon were you at, i spent many a day up there, in my younger days, its a very good advantage point to watch the storms coming in , but only disadvantage is that there is no shelter apart from your car!, I used to live down the road , by the Scott Arms

I was on the main part nearest Birmingham/Scott Arms. A mad dash from home as the clouds were already passing by at home. It is a great viewpoint, certainly the best one locally! Plans are afoot for a visitor centre/cafe in the near future. Hope it doesn't change the place too much :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Nice pics Luke(Blizzards) and some good editing skills there. :D

Cheers, its been a very interesting day for a change!

Posted

Well the rain has returned this evening with a vengeance. Been pretty torrential now for the past half hour or so.

The frogs are well and truly out in force in our back garden.

Posted

Had my eye on it for a few days now but friday looks good, large area of instability across the UK, shear is rubbish but could be a fair few storms about, it hasn't changed much for a few days so worth keeping an eye on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nice little line if showers passing through at work in Nailsea. 15 miles down the road in Weston, and it is bone dry.

Posted

Is that the sound of the 'all clear' siren I can hear in the distance?

Nobody forecasting anything stormy today, well we could do with a rest until the next round! :lol:

Posted

Is that the sound of the 'all clear' siren I can hear in the distance?

Nobody forecasting anything stormy today, well we could do with a rest until the next round! :lol:

Thought we had that here on Friday morning :) ,wish i lived in one of those locations in the world that you can virtually tell the time of day by the first crack of thunder,or would that get a bit boring ,naaa :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thought we had that here on Friday morning :) ,wish i lived in one of those locations in the world that you can virtually tell the time of day by the first crack of thunder,or would that get a bit boring ,naaa :)

Indeed same here.

Tomorrow and Thursday look like potentially close calls from the continent - some HUGE CAPE forecast across France to our S and SE, with it moving NNE by the looks of things. Could provide a great light show for the SE coastal areas (not for me sadly, going to see Harry Potter, grr!)

Friday looks like it could be a great day all round :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Indeed same here.

Tomorrow and Thursday look like potentially close calls from the continent - some HUGE CAPE forecast across France to our S and SE, with it moving NNE by the looks of things. Could provide a great light show for the SE coastal areas (not for me sadly, going to see Harry Potter, grr!)

No work for me on thursday nor till friday night, I might take another trip to the SE since I know the way and im still running LPG!

Posted

Morning Harry, trying to get a handle on this week ATM. Tomorrow looks another one of those days when the French want to keep it for themselves:

gfs_cape_eur42.png

2104.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_42.GIF

Friday looks better (but not for me!) with East Anglia down for another potential storm:

Rmgfs1056.gif

Posted

Tomorrow could be good for the SE with a warm sector setting up, should the sun shine then it'll become very warm, humid & unstable.

Joey G, if you see this, love that CB anvil photo in your signature :) .

Posted

Tomorrow could be good for the SE with a warm sector setting up, should the sun shine then it'll become very warm, humid & unstable.

Joey G, if you see this, love that CB anvil photo in your signature smile.gif .

Regarding the anvil, it is a great photo, Was it taken on 8th august last year? I have pictures of an identical cumulonimbus taken in Bath, it certainly would have been visible from out locations, the lighting is identical too.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention though Andy, you know you have been watching to many storms when you can date anvils!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

19:00 (Tue)

Thundery Shower

Temp: 21°C 70°F

Sunset: 20:58

Beeb going for thundery showers tomorrow evening

Posted

Even at this early stage it looks as if should there be any storms on Friday, which at the moment is looking likely, then it will be Eern areas namely EA which will see most of the storms. Widespread CAPE, however during the middle of day most of the CAPE is confined to said areas and this will conincide with the trough coming in from the West which will provide forcing.

Still a few days ahead but for now, Eern regions look set for more storms.

Nothing for us i think again. Before Fri9day was looking good for us too. :mellow:

Posted

19:00 (Tue)

Thundery Shower

Temp: 21°C 70°F

Sunset: 20:58

Beeb going for thundery showers tomorrow evening

I am still doubting it. I can't see it happening sadly, all the potential will be pushed eastwards too quick by that pesky cold front! :mellow:

Posted

Latest GFS has shifted the instability on friday more to the west, it is still in the east but there will be a fair bit of CAPE about still for peak heating and into the evening for the midlands. Still, best chance looks to be east anglia.

It is just this set up though, although it has varied over the past few weeks, basically low pressure systems bringing westerlies across the UK means less storms for western and southern parts in many cases, especially given the track off the recent low pressure systems.

Here in Bath, we really need something between southerlies and easterlies. This kind of set up will just bring showers some heavy and maybe a small thunderstorm. So still no storm to come I would imagine.

Posted

Indeed CAPE has shifted considerably West though as you say, the air flow direction is what matters and since it looks to be a WSWly then EA and E Mids look to be the favoured areas for widespread storm development for Friday. So I'm guessing the West may be just the 'breeding ground' though cannot be too sure until closer to the day.

Yeah and no signs of any change yet, the met office long term forecast indicates similar weather to this for another two weeks.

Posted

Some very heavy rain heading towards the south west of england on met office radar

Make that Wales too. The rain has woken me up @ 4a.m mega_shok.gif

As for the storms on Friday.......SE again.....Blah Blah lol. When is it the W's turn?