Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted

Sorry if this has already been posted but a tornado was reported just outside of Peterborough in Deeping.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/

That now means a tornado has been reported around Peterborough area in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009.

Amazing to think I always thought I would never see one and yet i've seen two tornados literally overhead in the space of 4yrs. Shame I missed the other occurences!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
That storm is moving very slowly southwest,looks to be feeding off some decent cape and li

It looks like it's going to hit me head on, but I would expect it to weaken considerably just in that short distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
That storm is moving very slowly southwest,looks to be feeding off some decent cape and li

Looks like it's died as it tried to move inland away from the area of better Cape/LI.

Here's the accumilated rainfall over NE England for Thursday and Friday, using the Netweather radars accumilation feature...

Thursday

post-3392-1247872276_thumb.png

Friday

post-3392-1247872284_thumb.png

Certainly was a fun drive home through plenty of floods. Took a slight detour to Allensford near Consett where the river had burst it's banks, the roads around there were only just passable and the car park started filling up fast while I was in it! The main road into Lanchester was also badly flooded in a few places. Pleased my car got a good clean :nea:

Looks like a great day for some further south, with around 11,000 strikes on the Netweather detector today. Hope everyone had fun :lol:

Posted

Yes,a very lively day weatherwise for mant parts of the country.

Belting down here again at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
Sorry if this has already been posted but a tornado was reported just outside of Peterborough in Deeping.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/

That now means a tornado has been reported around Peterborough area in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009.

Amazing to think I always thought I would never see one and yet i've seen two tornados literally overhead in the space of 4yrs. Shame I missed the other occurences!

really struggling to see that footage tbh

Posted
really struggling to see that footage tbh

Same here, I see a Funnel Cloud but definately "No" Tornado in that 17 second clip :clap:

So not a Tornado for me if that is the only footage/picture, BTW Where is the guy that saw the Funnel Cloud in S Lincs earlier or is this his footage, As i remember him saying he had some Mobile Phone footage whilst driving, maybe it is the same report ??

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
Looks like it's died as it tried to move inland away from the area of better Cape/LI.

Here's the accumilated rainfall over NE England for Thursday and Friday, using the Netweather radars accumilation feature...

Thursday

post-3392-1247872276_thumb.png

Friday

post-3392-1247872284_thumb.png

Certainly was a fun drive home through plenty of floods. Took a slight detour to Allensford near Consett where the river had burst it's banks, the roads around there were only just passable and the car park started filling up fast while I was in it! The main road into Lanchester was also badly flooded in a few places. Pleased my car got a good clean :clap:

Looks like a great day for some further south, with around 11,000 strikes on the Netweather detector today. Hope everyone had fun :)

While we had a lot of rain I can't believe we had 200mm which according to that map is what I've been under all day. I could imagine 100mm is credible so the widespread area of 120mm is probably quite accurate.

Posted
Same here, I see a Funnel Cloud but definately "No" Tornado in that 17 second clip :clap:

So not a Tornado for me if that is the only footage/picture, BTW Where is the guy that saw the Funnel Cloud in S Lincs earlier or is this his footage, As i remember him saying he had some Mobile Phone footage whilst driving, maybe it is the same report ??

Paul S

I have heard reports from elsewhere that a tornado was reported but I know what you mean about the footage.

Whilst searching I just found these other videos from Peterborough on the dates I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rXzflnYvY...feature=related

Speaking of which I have just sent the photos to the BBC that they requested and hopefully the programme following the Peterborough tornado of 2005 will be on BBC later this year.

Posted
While we had a lot of rain I can't believe we had 200mm which according to that map is what I've been under all day. I could imagine 100mm is credible so the widespread area of 120mm is probably quite accurate.

That white patch just south of Sunderland is something to do with the new radar giving dodgy returns.

Everything else should be pretty close though.

Just had a really heavy downpour here to add another few mm.

Posted

Just been looking east and saw 2 flashes of lightning and heard a distant rumble.

Looks like some storms heading down the coast, would like to be at the coast now but i'm not getting out of bed!

Going to open my window and listen to the distant thunder as I drift off to sleep :clap:

Posted

A picture from yesterdays storm, me and my brother spent a amazing time storm chasing :clap: Think this is the storm forming.......

3729422753_c69d97333b_b.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nice pic, Slinky. Is there a mothership in there? :D

Posted
A picture from yesterdays storm, me and my brother spent a amazing time storm chasing :D Think this is the storm forming.......

3729422753_c69d97333b_b.jpg

lovely...just like the ones in the USA when they are gusting out...

love clouds like that

Posted
Yeah, I wanted to see those pics too! Btw, did you upload those pics of the MCS a few weeks back? You said you had some good pics of the lightning. :D

Yep will do, those are on my Canon Powershot and not 400d so still need to dig out the USB Cable to upload, think it is buried in me cables from the US Trip.

Very nice pic of the Turbulent Gust front on that Fens Storm, as Pat says totally Outflow Dominant (He did learn stuff this year :lol: )

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Ive got GOOD news!!

Remember how i've had no footage for awhile because of my camcorder? , well i've been able to buy a Firewire cable that supports my new motherboard AND a new mini Dv Headcleaner!

Expect some great storm footage when we next get one , my footage has been on the tv twice in the past when it was working :D

Posted

Thanks for the replys and for letting me know what it was :D You learn something new every day !!

Here is one more shot...........

post-1814-1247907359_thumb.jpg

Posted
Thanks for the replys and for letting me know what it was :D You learn something new every day !!

Here is one more shot...........

this Supercell gusted out.nearly as bad as Paul's Buffalo Wings

..was a part of a line of MC'S that stretched for a few 1,000's of miles

from South Texas to Chicargo

Look familar

CIMG9937.jpg

Edited by dogs32

Posted

That's awesome dogs32!!!! and yes it looks very similar :D

In that last pic I uploaded I think I captured a funnel cloud, the local newspaper had some one post in a vid as they thought it was a tornado

Posted
That's awesome dogs32!!!! and yes it looks very similar :D

In that last pic I uploaded I think I captured a funnel cloud, the local newspaper had some one post in a vid as they thought it was a tornado

here's a video of another one

http://www.youtube.com/user/dogs323232

sorry Mods back on topic

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Whilst searching I just found these other videos from Peterborough on the dates I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rXzflnYvY...feature=related

Speaking of which I have just sent the photos to the BBC that they requested and hopefully the programme following the Peterborough tornado of 2005 will be on BBC later this year.

Edited by Greenday

Posted

Excellent pics slinky im so pleased you captured these. When I witnessed these cloud formations my batteries were still charging.

Must remind myself that whenever storms are likely always have batteries at the ready!

Posted
Off the back of those links I found this spinner apparently near Peterborough at some point. Dunno if anyone had seen it before. I like the line he says half way through :D

Yep thats the video I uploaded which the BBC want to use.

I didn't actually record the video though and I have made the BBC aware of this.

When you think the number of tornados/funnel clouds in Peterborough in recent yrs I bet there isn't one location in tornado alley that can boast such a number. I did contact Torro on this matter because I wanted to know the reason. Obviously Cambs is fairly storm prone county but there must be another cause. I often wonder is the sea breeze coming through the wash a factor or the very flat terrain?

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
Yep thats the video I uploaded which the BBC want to use.

I didn't actually record the video though and I have made the BBC aware of this.

When you think the number of tornados/funnel clouds in Peterborough in recent yrs I bet there isn't one location in tornado alley that can boast such a number. I did contact Torro on this matter because I wanted to know the reason. Obviously Cambs is fairly storm prone county but there must be another cause. I often wonder is the sea breeze coming through the wash a factor or the very flat terrain?

Not True Dave at all

Quinter (Kansas) got hit by an F2 In April 2008, Followed by a funnel Cloud in Late April 2008, it then got hit by 2 Tornadoes on the 22nd May and followed that up with 4 on the 23rd May 2008 (Included a Huge 1 Mile wide EF4)

I am also pretty sure it took a few Tornadoes in the May of 2007 but would have to research this on the NOAA Page.

So that is 8 in 2008 Alone

*Although I do think that the Fens/Lincs/Peterbrgh have the highest number of Tornadoes in the Uk and is our little Tornado Alley. Just a look at how flat it is and where it is geographically makes this the ideal place.

Paul S