Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Cet

Posted

A cool end to this week after tonight`s warmer night,but today is on the cooler side.

August 2007 was a better month to this with less rain and more HP and chillier nights 15.4c coolest since 1993.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

One of my 'markers' for a 'good month' is the number of days that I cannot sleep because it's too warm...Believe me, this August has been one of those months! :rolleyes:

Posted

Looks like we are going to end up with a CET just a little above the average. Minimum temperatures everywhere have consistently been above normal. however, I'd hazard a guess that maxes for much of Scotland, N Ireland and NW England have been average or slightly below average most of the time.. its been a very dissapointing month in the NW for any real warmth, not one day this month when I have to leave the windows open at night and I can count on one hand the times I have left the house without needing to take a coat or jacket, preety poor.

Posted

Hadley still 16.8C after yesterday was 17.1C

Today and tomorrow may push the figure in a downwards direction

Last night was 10.9C and many places in the zone will top out around 17C today. Tonight may be a single figure minimum across the zone.

Posted

Hadley CET - 16.7 to the 28th after yesterday came in at a chilly 14.1C

Last night was 8.9C average, the coolest night of the current month.

As has been obvious for a little while, the final figure is destined to be 16.5 or 16.6 (before recalebration adjustments)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like we are going to end up with a CET just a little above the average. Minimum temperatures everywhere have consistently been above normal. however, I'd hazard a guess that maxes for much of Scotland, N Ireland and NW England have been average or slightly below average most of the time.. its been a very dissapointing month in the NW for any real warmth, not one day this month when I have to leave the windows open at night and I can count on one hand the times I have left the house without needing to take a coat or jacket, preety poor.

In the end it has (as per my earlier suspicions) ended up as a month with a lot in common with August 1998, except that the NW-SE split has been even more pronounced (in August '98 sunshine was only a little below normal, and rainfall only a little above, in the NW).

This can be explained by the prevailing synoptics. August 1998 was a standard westerly month but with the Azores High slightly further north than is usual for westerly months, such that many southern areas had a dry sunny month. August 2009, however, has had an even stronger gradient according to NOAA's maps, and has had an anomalous southerly component as well, with a strong Icelandic Low. This supports the rather duller wetter conditions in the NW, while retaining dry sunny weather in the southeast, and the unusual stat of western England having the greatest sunshine deficiency despite west Scotland having the most rainfall.

For northern and eastern Scotland and north-east England in particular, one upshot of these differences is that this month has been markedly warmer than August 1998.

Slightly off topic, but looking at the figures on the Philip Eden Site, Wales has been drier than normal, temps around average, but cloudier than normal, in between the two extremes of NW England and SE England.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Hadley CET - 16.7 to the 28th after yesterday came in at a chilly 14.1C

Last night was 8.9C average, the coolest night of the current month.

As has been obvious for a little while, the final figure is destined to be 16.5 or 16.6 (before recalebration adjustments)

Sounds good to me :good:

Posted

It will once again be interesting to see what the adjustment is at the end of the month. Both Manley and Hadley were on 16.7C to the 28th.

Phillip Eden's site also reflects the fact that eastern areas, the south-east and East Midlands have had quite a good month. All have temperatures a good degree or so above average, rainfall below average and sunshine close to average. This is reflected in my own figures showing temperatures at +1.4C and rainfall at 95% of normal.

Meanwhile in NW England, N. Ireland and W Scotland it has been rather dull, very wet and with close to average temperatures. A true split and shows how a divide can occur when you havea ridge to the south-east and a strong Atlantic.

Posted

16.6c to the 29th

Yesterday was easily the coolest day of the month at 13.3C

Chance we will fall to 16.5c to the 30th, although we could then move back up to 16.6c as the 31st looks like coming in warm.

Posted

Looks set to be yet another average August but very wet in Northern ireland and Scotland. 2003 was the last good one that was dry and hot. That was 6 years ago!

Average Maximum by year;

2004 21.1c (+0.7c)

2005 21.5c (+1.1c)

2006 19.9c (-0.5c)

2007 19.9c (-0.5c)

2008 19.6c (-0.8c)

2009 Provisional 20.3c (-0.1c)

Posted

Its looks like it has been a very warm month in the south-east, East-Anglia, Eastern Coasts and East Midlands. This however has been over-balanced by the two western sites which had closer to average temperatures. The result - 0.4C above the 1971-2000 average, but I feel very few will share the perception of a 'close to average' month.

Here, it was the 3rd warmest August in 30 years and the warmest since 1997.

Also interesting to see no adjustment on Hadley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

0.3C out so I'll take that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've no idea what my guess was. But, I'm sure it was far lower than the actual!! :D

Well done to the following 5 who got is spot on, full scores will follow tomorrow.

Norrance

GRHinPorts

Potent Gust

Kentish Man

davehsug

:clap:

:)

I've been entering for quite a while and not yet guessed the CET spot on. :)

There's always next month :lol:

Posted

Wow the Metoffice figure for mean maxima is 20.8c! Philip Eden actually came in 0.1c cooler at 16.5c. Very strange for the Hadley figure to come in higher....

Mean Maximum was 0.3c cooler on the Manley site. Also very strange.

Edited by Optimus Prime

As mentioned before 5 players got the temps spot on. Norrance, GRHinPorts, Potent Gust, Kentish Man and davehsug

The summer comp was won by davehsug, Potent Gust was 2nd but would have won without the 10pt deduction and The PIT was 3rd.

Overall RAIN RAIN RAIN takes the lead with Don in 2nd, mountain shadow 3rd and Potent Gust up to 4th.