Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Got colder across here, too - 2C, 75% Humidity, -1C Dew Point :)

It looks like 18z has made the spell of snow tomorrow last from early morning until evening. Perhaps all hope isn't lost (at my end):drinks:

Edited by snowmess

Posted

Hey! I don't live in Leith. Holyrood don't you know laugh.gif

And yes it is bloody annoying - I mean you can drive for 5 hours from London to Carlisle - how many English regions does that journey take you through? But five hours north from Edinburgh and you're only just over the Black Isle - and that's classed as one 'forecast area'. It is ridic.

Ah well, better placed to have a go at some of the influential players in the places that really hurt thenbiggrin.gifgood.gif .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Got colder across here, too - 2C, 75% Humidity, -1C Dew Point smile.gif

It looks like 18z has made the spell of snow tomorrow last from early morning until evening. Perhaps all hope isn't lost (at my end)clap.gif

Indeed, dewpoint here 0.1C: GFS 18Z claimed it would be 3C by now! Overnight precipitation turning to snow perhaps??

LS

Posted

Hey! I don't live in Leith. Holyrood don't you know :lol:

And yes it is bloody annoying - I mean you can drive for 5 hours from London to Carlisle - how many English regions does that journey take you through? But five hours north from Edinburgh and you're only just over the Black Isle - and that's classed as one 'forecast area'. It is ridic.

Of course it's ridiculous, but have you said to the team to resolve this ongoing issue we have? Not picking at you, mate - but as a red one, you MUST have some say in matters!

Split us in two if easiest - North is north of Perth. South is south of Perth ! Be a good start :drinks:

Posted

It will be a pleasure to remind the team :lol:

Sub zero dew points creeping in from the east as I type :drinks:

Posted

Gents,

any of you care to explain to me the significance of the 508-512 dams shown in Scotland early next week, do these relate to likely ground temperature or are the 850 temps a better indication of ground temperature?

Posted

Gents,

any of you care to explain to me the significance of the 508-512 dams shown in Scotland early next week, do these relate to likely ground temperature or are the 850 temps a better indication of ground temperature?

Unfortunately (but as you might expect) there's no definitive answer to using either of those measures for temps at surface.

The significance of dam values is that the rule of thumb for wintry ppn is anything sub 528dam. But of course there are exceptions in certain set-ups. And remember the true dam value is only shown on the HGT 500-1000 charts - not the 500Hpa charts which many people get muddled up with.

As for the 850s - remember they are the air temps 1.5kms up. Again, a rough rule of thumb is to add 10ºC to get surface temps at sea level, but this is even less reliable than the dam thickness rule above!

Posted

Unfortunately (but as you might expect) there's no definitive answer to using either of those measures for temps at surface.

The significance of dam values is that the rule of thumb for wintry ppn is anything sub 528dam. But of course there are exceptions in certain set-ups. And remember the true dam value is only shown on the HGT 500-1000 charts - not the 500Hpa charts which many people get muddled up with.

As for the 850s - remember they are the air temps 1.5kms up. Again, a rough rule of thumb is to add 10ºC to get surface temps at sea level, but this is even less reliable than the dam thickness rule above!

That's cleared it up then!!! I'm curious why temps of -15 are shown in the North of Scotland next Tuesday/Wednesday when the 850temp is much higher, is it simply a result of lying snow, do the gfs temp charts take that into account?

Posted

Clear skies, lying snow, little wind - those are the major factors. Heat radiates away and Mr frosty frost comes out to play! The 850s are irrelevant in these circumstances bingobob :)

Here's all the relevant charts:

post-1217-12610032142007_thumb.png

post-1217-12610032230164_thumb.png

post-1217-12610032326128_thumb.png

post-1217-1261003242028_thumb.png

post-1217-12610032497333_thumb.png

Posted

Just seen Rob on BBC late weather, and he is predicting a 'pasting' over the south-east corner tomorrow, but nothing here until Sunday, where the Edinburgh area is due to have snow.

He has said that by the end of the weekend just about all of the UK will have seen snow, 'then there is Monday, haha'!

Guaranteed to be flipping cold though for the foreseeable futurecold.gifcold.gifcold.gif .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Anyway, after that annoying long break, my dewpoint has gone up to 0.4C - perhaps just a hint of precipitation coming our way? I believe 0.4C in showers from the east would be enough for it to turn to snow, so all to play for tonight.

Hope to wake up with a weak orange light in the window from the heavy snow clouds!!laugh.gif

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Just had a heavy sleet shower, 70% of which was wet snow...

Should of been all snow - but temp is a tad high

screenshot_17122009_01_NzE2z5.png

Looks like I'll be up all night watching the streetlamp then :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well the will it snow feature has been taunting me now for days. and I wake up and its gone but keeps promising more :whistling: when is this snow going to arrive?

Posted

Dewpoint now 0C with a few sleety showers having passed through. Temps around 1C so perhaps black ice will become an issue, though I think the next showers will be of snow, given the low dewpoints.

Posted

Dewpoint now 0C with a few sleety showers having passed through. Temps around 1C so perhaps black ice will become an issue, though I think the next showers will be of snow, given the low dewpoints.

had some sleet about a hour a go looks like i may see snow today

Posted

Got a little covering, stopped snowing...for now whistling.gif

Temp. - 1C

Dew Point - 1.3C sad.gif

Good. More showers to come through the day so you may do well today.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Nothing in Perth this morning. Temp. 1.5C Dew Point -0.1C.

Snowing away at Drumochter.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/?mi=10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, temps are definitely on the way down. Aberdeen now at 1C... :whistling: