Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

even though the cold is slowly driving me mental. I can't wait for snow. I can't remember the last time it snowed properly in December and in saying that I can't remember the last white christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Have stocked up the food cupboards, have charcoal in garage, have candles is there anything else??

Sorry must stop this ramping, i think its the paracetamol and the hot toddy!!

I'm sending hubby out for a couple of hot water bottles to keep handy if/when the national grid crashes! :)

With temperature today just reached 7C it's unreal that they might even be needed!

Message http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IPERTHAN2 http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=metric&station=IPERTHAN2 http://www.weatherlink.com/user/highlandsnow/index.php?view=main&headers=1

Posted

Have not posted on NW for months but OMG We have a met office warning for heavy snow for Sunday for Skye Lusa. :):):):):yahoo::yahoo: I cant wait :yahoo::yahoo:

Have not posted on NW for months but OMG We have a met office warning for heavy snow for Sunday for Skye Lusa. :):):):):yahoo::yahoo: I cant wait :yahoo::yahoo:

I expect that the weather warning writers will really be earning their money over the next week. Poor wee lambs will have blistered fingers :)

Posted

I expect that the weather warning writers will really be earning their money over the next week. Poor wee lambs will have blistered fingers :)

:):yahoo::yahoo:

Can't believe met office have a watch out for the Western Isles very rare.

Great isn't it weathermaster??? :yahoo::):yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Gotta say I'm a bit of a sceptic on what may unfold over the next few days, only based on the bitter experience of 30+ years of weather watching.

The easterly - such as it will be in Scotland - will be very short lived. Too short lived to take hold and not expecting anything of note from that before the weekend. Once the northerly/nw'erly kicks in, then sure all areas north of Stirling/Perth will probably see something. But usually anything south and east of that is the snow-shadow. I haven't seen anything yet in the forecasts that suggests anything different this time around.

Only attitude to take is , if it happens, it happens. I just have a bad feeling that the gradual ramping of the past week from the charts (and I'm guilty of it myself) will end in disappointment for many.

So..."if it happens, it happens" smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Have not posted on NW for months but OMG We have a met office warning for heavy snow for Sunday for Skye Lusa. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: I cant wait :yahoo::yahoo:

Welcome back, S... :good::cold:

Do you like dogs at all, btw? :fool::fool::good::80:

Gotta say I'm a bit of a sceptic on what may unfold over the next few days, only based on the bitter experience of 30+ years of weather watching.

The easterly - such as it will be in Scotland - will be very short lived. Too short lived to take hold and not expecting anything of note from that before the weekend. Once the northerly/nw'erly kicks in, then sure all areas north of Stirling/Perth will probably see something. But usually anything south and east of that is the snow-shadow. I haven't seen anything yet in the forecasts that suggests anything different this time around.

Only attitude to take is , if it happens, it happens. I just have a bad feeling that the gradual ramping of the past week from the charts (and I'm guilty of it myself) will end in disappointment for many.

So..."if it happens, it happens" smile.gif

I know exactly where you're coming from with this post, but stuff it, let's ramp away anyway :yahoo: If the 12Z is still looking good then I'm off to B&Q to buy some wood to build the biggest ramp in Scotland.

Posted

Welcome back, S... :yahoo::yahoo:

Do you like dogs at all, btw? :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Thanks Pete, its good to be back. Yes I do love dogs, I am now down to three though. They all love snow.

I don't care how much/how little snow we get, just a few flakes falling from the sky and that will make me happy. :yahoo:

Posted

I know exactly where you're coming from with this post, but stuff it, let's ramp away anyway laugh.gif If the 12Z is still looking good then I'm off to B&Q to buy some wood to build the biggest ramp in Scotland.

I'm with you in spirit CatchMyDrift believe me ! I think though that so many of us have been assailed in the past by "Britain shivers in arctic blast" type headlines ... whilst in reality staring out the window at green grass and damp pavements ... well you know the story ;-)

Always find it bizarre that we live surrounded by oceans and moisture, our mountains and hills are modest in size ... and yet when push comes to shove by the time any snow-bearing winds get scraped over a line north of Stirling/Perth theres nothing left to dump !

Anyway I'm whining now, good luck to anyone anywhere who gets it over the next few days !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks Pete, its good to be back. Yes I do love dogs, I am now down to three though. They all love snow.

I don't care how much/how little snow we get, just a few flakes falling from the sky and that will make me happy. :yahoo:

Those were the days, my friend...Taking the old Collie out for a game of snowballs! It was the 'Swinging Sixties' mind you... :yahoo:

That's like asking Jeremy Clarkson does he like cars? :yahoo:

Do you like cars WM? :yahoo::yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Met Office have issued an 'advisory' for Sunday for snow for northern and western areas. I guess that means it's getting more likely!

Snowy Owl, you could add a good whisky to your list of essentials...

Have just got a couple of bottles of good stuff!! that was lucky.

and plenty Tea...

Your not going to believe this but i did stock up on the tea but bought Earl Grey by mistake!! so looks like i'd better return it tomorrow and get the proper tea!! cannae run out o tea!

Posted

Your not going to believe this but i did stock up on the tea but bought Earl Grey by mistake!! so looks like i'd better return it tomorrow and get the proper tea!! cannae run out o tea!

butbutbut earl grey is the good stuff!

Posted

Im a bit surprise there's nothing out for Sat

Look at the FAX - triple point low over C Scotland - http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack2a.gif

Now look at the uppers/dew points. Easily cold enough you'd think?

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rmgfs782.gif

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rmgfs788.gif

If all that came off as shown the central lowlands and borders would get a pasting

Posted

Im a bit surprise there's nothing out for Sat

Look at the FAX - triple point low over C Scotland - http://www.wzkarten....ics/brack2a.gif

Now look at the uppers/dew points. Easily cold enough you'd think?

http://www.wzkarten....cs/Rmgfs782.gif

http://www.wzkarten....cs/Rmgfs788.gif

If all that came off as shown the central lowlands and borders would get a pasting

Ditto. Would have imagined that would be seen as a significant feature in its own right. Doesn't seem to be viewed in the met-office precipiatation forecast as anything other than a band of snow ... as usual that leaves our interpretation as anything between a dumping or as little as a few flakes seen blowing past a street light. Warm sea, cold uppers/cold surface ... you'd think its a certainty for widespread/decent snow .... and yet if theres a way to avoid a widesperead snow event, Scotland always finds a way doh.gif

Posted

I know exactly where you're coming from with this post, but stuff it, let's ramp away anyway :wallbash: If the 12Z is still looking good then I'm off to B&Q to buy some wood to build the biggest ramp in Scotland.

Haha...brilliant, i'll help!!

No you cant...make sure you have a portable gas burner to heat the pan of water in the vent of a power cut...tea always tastes better when you grafted over the cup!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I have a lot of time for Heather Reid as a forecaster. She runs her own independent weather business and is never that far off the mark in my opinion. I thought the forecast was a bit unexpected today tho' given the charts. Yes it will be cold but the weekend was forecast to consist of snow showers and sunny spells? Weird. :lol: