Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Seriously hope you're right mate, but from the BBC forecasts it's not looking too good for the west? :pardon:

wouldn't worry about the BBC forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Welcome snow1975!

If the ECM verified then in future years people would refer to the 'snows of xmas '09 ' as a benchmark for snow events.

Seriously hope you're right mate, but from the BBC forecasts it's not looking too good for the west? :blink:

We'll have to wait for ours, although you may be with Ross B on the last gasp bus!! After me that is :wub: Fingers crossed though :wub:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

We'll have to wait for ours, although you may be with Ross B on the last gasp bus!! After me that is :unsure: Fingers crossed though :)

NW has stuck its neck out first for most of england yet met office hasn't yet BBC just playing it safe

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Hello, I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite some time but to be honest I don't really understand charts and runs and things hence I never post incase I look silly!! :)

On saying that even I can see some potential this weekend, I never get my hopes up as Inverness doesn't get too lucky these days, although 5 miles up the road can be different world. Finger, toes and everything else crossed for some of the white stuff!! :)

NW has stuck its neck out first for most of england yet met office hasn't yet BBC just playing it safe

That's just because their easterly hits before our northerly :)

Plenty of time for us.

Hello, I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite some time but to be honest I don't really understand charts and runs and things hence I never post incase I look silly!! :D

On saying that even I can see some potential this weekend, I never get my hopes up as Inverness doesn't get too lucky these days, although 5 miles up the road can be different world. Finger, toes and everything else crossed for some of the white stuff!! :rolleyes:

Just look out for Peter Tattum's posts, he's from Inverness too and will keep you right :)

Posted

We'll have to wait for ours, although you may be with Ross B on the last gasp bus!! After me that is <_< Fingers crossed though :yahoo:

Yep, I'm not getting anywhere near excited yet. It's still only tuesday after all! I've not been that bothered with snow this year (bad enough commute in good weathe!r) so that means we are on for a big snow event and freezing cold winter :drinks:

Yep, I'm not getting anywhere near excited yet. It's still only tuesday after all! I've not been that bothered with snow this year (bad enough commute in good weathe!r) so that means we are on for a big snow event and freezing cold winter :lol:

I started feeling sorry for myself thinking I was last in line for snow in this cold spell, then I thought of u and Duncan McA. Surely somewhere between Killie and Edinburgh you will find a snow flake.

That's some commute at the best of times, but with snow it could turn into a holiday :drinks:

Posted

I started feeling sorry for myself thinking I was last in line for snow in this cold spell, then I thought of u and Duncan McA. Surely somewhere between Killie and Edinburgh you will find a snow flake.

That's some commute at the best of times, but with snow it could turn into a holiday :drinks:

lol. I saw snow the other week at Livingston so i'm not snow starved :lol: Raining here and 0c, roads will be nasty in the morning!

lol. I saw snow the other week at Livingston so i'm not snow starved :lol: Raining here and 0c, roads will be nasty in the morning!

Heartbreak!! Rain at 0C.

We had snow here last week, just a few flakes (literally), but snow nonetheless.

Nothing beats the freezing rain last year though, my five year old son still talks about it, especially after the freezing rain this week. His view on it was "Hmm, it's ok but not as powerful as last time Daddy" :drinks:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

BBC News 24 forecasts are showing no snow showers whatsoever across Scotland Thurs or Friday <_<

BBC News 24 forecasts are showing no snow showers whatsoever across Scotland Thurs or Friday :lol:

That's simply because Saturday and Sunday will bring our snow.

Posted

Just happened to take a glimpse at Metcheck although i dont do that very often. If only their forecast was correct. A 90% + chance of snow in my area on Saturday, snow right through Christmas Day with temperatures of 0, a boxing day high of -6 and the temp not going above -4 right through to the end of the forecast period of December 30th. :D I WISH :lol:

How are things looking anyway, not had much chance to look through the charts yet though im going to take a look. Looking good for all on Saturday? Still looking potentially mild :D on Xmas Day (despite Metcheck's dreamcast)?

Cheers

A little snow then from the 18Z??

Not a big dump, but enough to give a nice covering. Safe to say something seems to be happening on Saturday, but what?? :lol:

Someone had better tell Thomas the Tank Engine and the Fat Controller that Sodor is in for a blizzard....

The Snowy Special Indeed

(apologies to anyone who doesn't have wee boys!!!)

Posted

bit of a downgrade again for me my % of snow risk has dropped a little lets see what tomorrows charts show they will be important :shok:

bit of a downgrade again for me my % of snow risk has dropped a little lets see what tomorrows charts show they will be important :yahoo:

Remember to compare your % against the actual mm which is predicted. Sometimes you can have 95% snow predicted for days on end, but with only 0.01mm. The time to get excited is when it is 50% snow predicted and 5mm.......

And these charts are not a downgrade!!! They are the coldest charts seen in December for years and years. Upgrades on the normal rubbish in December all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Precipitation type from Thursday morning onwards will be snow, the location, frequency and severity of showers is looking less settled than ever! East is better than west on Thursday into Friday but after that it looks like northwestern areas could do best (although snowfall looks fairly heavy in most places for a few hours at some point over the weekend.) Still, incredible charts for under 100 hours, I'm 99% sure that everyone will see some snow in the coming days.

edit: Incidentally, the UKMO model shows moderate precip over us at 1pm on Thursday:

Rukm483.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Precipitation type from Thursday morning onwards will be snow, the location, frequency and severity of showers is looking less settled than ever! East is better than west on Thursday into Friday but after that it looks like northwestern areas could do best (although snowfall looks fairly heavy in most places for a few hours at some point over the weekend.) Still, incredible charts for under 100 hours, I'm 99% sure that everyone will see some snow in the coming days.

LS

I just wanted to see what they looked like together.......:drinks:

I prefer the 95 one :yahoo:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I just wanted to see what they looked like together.......rofl.gif

I prefer the 95 one sad.gif

Since I have no memory of the 95 one, I cannot really comment, but I reckon this cold spell could easily be the best one in my snowatching career (e.g. -04-05 onwards).

LS

Since I have no memory of the 95 one, I cannot really comment, but I reckon this cold spell could easily be the best one in my snowatching career (e.g. -04-05 onwards).

LS

Just have a swatch at this chart :lol:

Posted

Just have a swatch at this chart rofl.gif

Not too shabby, ensembles suggest the end, at the very earliest, postponed to the 23rd here (the mean dwindles at around -3C, so definitely little support for a mild outlook), although both the op. and control show the cold persisting all the way to New Year - now that would top anything I've seen, in terms of sustained cold, and most probably in terms of snowfall.

t850Fife.png

Not too shabby, ensembles suggest the end, at the very earliest, postponed to the 23rd here (the mean dwindles at around -3C, so definitely little support for a mild outlook), although both the op. and control show the cold persisting all the way to New Year - now that would top anything I've seen, in terms of sustained cold, and most probably in terms of snowfall.

I am prepared to say the cold is nailed on, as for snow/precip...hmmmm.

We will see. We will cross fingers and all sorts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

OK so with the BBC getting in on the act - I am now in a bit of a ramping mood so here goes (including FI)

14332_208292691746_693876746_3539431_3441537_n.jpg14332_208292696746_693876746_3539432_1818723_n.jpg14332_208292706746_693876746_3539433_6144615_n.jpg14332_208292711746_693876746_3539434_5665432_n.jpg14332_208292721746_693876746_3539435_1444448_n.jpg14332_208292726746_693876746_3539436_2925292_n.jpg14332_208292731746_693876746_3539437_7106572_n.jpg14332_208292736746_693876746_3539438_4315012_n.jpg14332_208292746746_693876746_3539439_7307093_n.jpg

All I can say is..... "YES PLEASE" :cc_confused::drinks::whistling: