Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

It has turned decidely cold here now, winds have dropped off a bit but when it was a bit stronger it was a bitingly cold wind. Showers have stopped, although the sky is full of huge black clouds. Looks really stormy. Temp still at 4oC. Its got that snowy feel about it now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Don't give-up yet...With uppers @ -6C or below (and very little wind) any precipitation is likely to be of sleet or snow??? If not, we could get freezing fog??? :D

Posted

YBY, looks like we're not getting anything :lol:, no warnings, nothing for Saturday on MO for NE, Oh Well :p

btw, j/k - patience is a virtue so they say

yes had a hit of sleet inland here this afternoon too, temp now 4 too, been loads of squally showers most of the day and the hilltops showing signs of whiteness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't worry, big upgrade on the forecast icons for eastern Scotland on the met office, which means a lot given how slow they are to predict snow events (particularly in Scotland). http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/st_andrews_forecast_weather.html.

Glad I got my netweather radar and NMM model, particularly for tomorrow, which looks incredibly hit and miss at the moment!

LS

Posted

Just a quick note...the atmosphere on here has been brilliant the past few days...long may it continue.

Snooz...yeah, i've been a tad worried about this but looking at the 12Z charts above fills me with optimisim. Warnings etc at such a range are bound to change...for some reason the NE always gets left out of warnings, almost as if we are just left to deal with it because we get it so much. I would bet that we get a flash warning nearer the time and still wake up to plenty snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Saturday 18:00 12z looks like it's missing us fifers out sad.gif I suppose we can't have all the snow, all the time laugh.gifwallbash.gif

laugh.gif You know the charts are good when you can only pick out one three hour spell with no snow in Fife!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

yip looking a bit hit and miss for Glasgow at the moment i am still concerned that there is no warnings of snow just yet which could mean this maybe a marginal event or they just don't know anyway just subscribed to the radar package for a month i will be watching :lol:

Posted

GG would you not be due to do well out of Sunday if there's a more Westerly flow?

I was just kidding earlier btw, yes they frequently do not get the warnings right for up here so I rarely pay attention to them especially this far out - and besides I'm in a Que Sera Sera mood :) - liking the lighter mood in here the few days too!

Posted

Watching closely ....... Yes is will be cold and we may only get a dusting of snow, I feel only some areas down the east coast may strike lucky in Scotland.

Having said that I will continue to hope as it does create atmosphere in the build up towards the big day!:)

Posted

GG would you not be due to do well out of Sunday if there's a more Westerly flow?

I was just kidding earlier btw, yes they frequently do not get the warnings right for up here so I rarely pay attention to them especially this far out - and besides I'm in a Que Sera Sera mood :) - liking the lighter mood in here the few days too!

I've been here for more than 21 years...And, yes - Scotty is the 'Forgotten Country'. The wind needs blow @ 900mph, for it to get on the News!! :):cray:

Posted

I was just kidding earlier btw, yes they frequently do not get the warnings right for up here so I rarely pay attention to them especially this far out - and besides I'm in a Que Sera Sera mood :cray: - liking the lighter mood in here the few days too!

Sunday? i have a snow risk from thur-mon hoping before then i see the white stuff :)

Posted

Watching closely ....... Yes is will be cold and we may only get a dusting of snow, I feel only some areas down the east coast may strike lucky in Scotland.

Having said that I will continue to hope as it does create atmosphere in the build up towards the big day!:cray:

Be patient - wait for the weekend?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Having said that I will continue to hope as it does create atmosphere in the build up towards the big day!smiliz58.gif

I thought you were talking about the upcoming North Westerly for a second there! blink.gif

Posted

I was just kidding earlier btw, yes they frequently do not get the warnings right for up here so I rarely pay attention to them especially this far out - and besides I'm in a Que Sera Sera mood rolleyes.gif - liking the lighter mood in here the few days too!

Yes, I've noticed that er- I think the hilarious 'lampers' thread helped, and even the usually heated model output discussion page reads more like the usual rampers corner! I hope that, for once, East central Scotland takes the brunt of the snowfall, something that never happened last year! Some snow showers possible tomorrow and into Friday, with the band of frontal snow on Saturday looking good in most places, but I think Sunday into Monday could be very special from Aberdeen to Dunbar, with the wind from the east and a band of heavy snow sitting right over us all night. One to watch anyway, with ground temps below 0oC.

prectypeuktopo.png

edit: forgot to mention Islay also getting hit very badly on this chart! Not sure they'd really expect that much snow, so it would be interesting to see how they coped!

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm