Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Just popped by to offer this to you good people in the south who have maybe been a wee bit deprived of the snow - until now.

Might come in handy.

http://www.nfb.ca/fi...Build_an_Igloo/

<_<

Enjoy!

Now, heading back up north.

Cheerio the noo!

Posted

TEITS - I agree except for the fact that she still seemed very reluctant to say that some areas would see lying snow on Friday morning - I understand that she can't predict where, but she was still uncertain about the if.

EDIT - yes suffolkboy Stewart is good for an amusing quote - the rumour is that he's a tightwad and waits until it gets bitter before he puts the heating on.

The uncertainity was with regards to amount of snow rather than if we see lying snow. Unsurprising really and I shall explain why.

During Dec 1996 I was travelling back from Southamptom and I had been informed by my mother that Peterborough had seen heavy snow. So whilst travelling up the A1 there wasn't any lying snow whatsoever. Even just 15miles S of Peterborough was completely clear of snow. However all of a sudden just 5miles S of Peterborough a wall of lying snow greeted us. Within the space of just 10miles it went from no lying snow to around 20cm of lying snow!!

The only forecast you can really use from now on is observations i.e temp,dewpoint and the radar. You can use the models as a vague idea but this can be very vague especially with regards to depths of snow.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Yes he is. He is a flat coated retreiver and seems to love the snow. He is four years old but the snow we had in Dec was not as deep as the snow we are forcast so i am looking forward to taking him for a walk in it.lol

My mum and grandmother used to have lab/retreiver crosses - lovely dogs. <_<

Posted

How much will it snow in Luton?

Will there be heavy snow in Luton?

Could be, but unlikely to be big accumulations.

Posted

How much will it snow in Luton?

Will there be heavy snow in Luton?

Like the rest of the region you have a good chance to see some good accumilations by Friday morning, maybe up to 4 inches (10cm)

Posted

Look E suggested snow showers even into tomorrow morning for Cambs/Norfolk. However im not sure I agree with this and reckon it will be later. However she did say they are keeping a close eye on tomorrow night/Friday and we should keep a close eye on the forecasts.

Now I know she said snow becoming widespread tomorrow evening but the reason why she is saying to keep a close eye out on the forecasts is because its impossible to know what will develop in the N Sea. I have seen these situations many times and the potential for some extremely heavy snowfalls is very possible. When I say extremely heavy im suggesting in excess of 1ft!!

I completely agree. The way these things go down, somewhere there's going to be an endless streak of heavy stuff which gives a few lucky places, maybe higher place in partic. a pasting. I'm hoping it's going to be me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

What exactly is the 'Thames streamer effect' ?

Edited by robthefool

Posted

The uncertainity was with regards to amount of snow rather than if we see lying snow. Unsurprising really and I shall explain why.

During Dec 1996 I was travelling back from Southamptom and I had been informed by my mother that Peterborough had seen heavy snow. So whilst travelling up the A1 there wasn't any lying snow whatsoever. Even just 15miles S of Peterborough was completely clear of snow. However all of a sudden just 5miles S of Peterborough a wall of lying snow greeted us. Within the space of just 10miles it went from no lying snow to around 20cm of lying snow!!

The only forecast you can really use from now on is observations i.e temp,dewpoint and the radar. You can use the models as a vague idea but this can be very vague especially with regards to depths of snow.

Thanks TEITS - I'm perhaps being critical of them only because I normally rate their forecasts highly, except for thunderstorms (esp. Spanish plumes) which they often don't spot.

Posted

How much will it snow in high wycombe

will the snow be heavy

[/quote/]

To be fair you wont see a lot of snow compared to EA and the SE. You may see a small accumilation of maybe 2-4cm at best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Anyone think how much might fall in Dover? Was planing to travel there to watch St. Albans City vs Dover on Saturday but suspect it may be called off!

A similar set upin Feb 1983 (9th Feb) dumped 60 cms on the hills aroundabout, thats the record for level snow since Ive been following these things. Difficult to know what will happen this time , but anything between 0 and 25cms is my answer, it might fall as rain until friday 6am.

Posted

What exactly is the 'Thames streamer effect' ?

Roughly it's when you get an easterly flow where atmospheric instability stretching up the thames estuary and out into the north sea builds a stream of increasingly heavy ppn which flows in and dumps on everybody in the london area. hooray.

but thats not going to happen tomorrow. were getting a ne'rly flow which rules that out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Roughly it's when you get an easterly flow where atmospheric instability stretching up the thames estuary and out into the north sea builds a stream of increasingly heavy ppn which flows in and dumps on everybody in the london area. hooray.

but thats not going to happen tomorrow. were getting a ne'rly flow which rules that out.

Ahh thank you <_<

Posted

Wellington i want to join in the pasting lol i never get anything from the Thames streamer am at the bottom of Bluebell Hill so it gets dumped on the hill and does not reach me i wonder if it will this time

Wow, it sounds like Bluebell Hill is casting a rain (or snow) shadow, who would have thunk it. I have a good feeling for us down here this time. I love the orientation of the flow for tomorrow.

I'm also too far south here for the Thames streamer though. You get little threads of snow running in parallel to the streamer, but they don't possess the same potential and it's all a bit hit and miss.

Posted

How much will it snow in high wycombe

will the snow be heavy

[/quote/]

To be fair you wont see a lot of snow compared to EA and the SE. You may see a small accumilation of maybe 2-4cm at best

oh im really disapointed now lol

Posted

I know there seem to be many questions on here tonight so excuse me for adding to these

How much snow is Folkestone forecast to get and will there be any snow for this area on saturday and if so what time ??

Posted

I will be releasing my Final call forecast for the period pm Thur- 6pm Friday at 9:30pm tonight-

this covers the ENTIRE SE region.....

Steve

Excellent Steve, will look forward to reading your thoughts.

Posted

Same mate!

I think BBC London do some very good forecasts especially by Peter who I really thinks is a good forecaster! I seem to rember them forecasting the Feb event quite well?

C'mon Herts!

they did. PC is well into his snow too, unlike some. Deakin looked positively irritated on the national forecast earlier. I hate the way he says 'the numbers doing a bit better in northern Ireland, they might manage four degrees.' what is good about 4 degrees and cold rain?

Posted

An over-excited Kaddy ends her forecast just nicely :air_kiss:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2601

Now that is what you call a weather presenter getting excited, look east could do with taking a leaf!!

Edited by StLuke

Posted

Most puzzling but sexy thing for me right now is the latest MetO FAX's

Shows the front heading NW'wards again, though barely any movement at all

Forecasts are starting to push the heavier precip further and further inland - and even with the amount of precip shown models generally wont predict particularly accurately the sheer amount of convection that is taking place with such a long fetch. This was shown today with the relatively small fetch we saw associated with the flow around the front as it partially crossed the north sea and sent more energy than expected further and further west until we ended up with precipitation all the way across to the welsh borders

SK