Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

And then all of a sudden we get a new major warning. Excellent. Even the SW looks serious

Edited by towbar0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

And then all of a sudden we get a new major warning. Excellent. Even the SW looks serious

Hi , wheres this warning?? you mean for tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

http://www.metcheck....EE/warnings.asp

Just love the map....yahoo.gif

(note to self: don't overdo it)

Never take metcheck seriously in my experience , the tripple point in the front looks to be bristol area or there abouts , which should mean we get the heavy ppn , maybe the bbc arent picking this up??? Or maybe its bull and thats not how it works??!! They say the eastern areas can expect another 5cm , didnt even mention the mids , althought it clearly went over us, i hope ot dont be another flop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just woke up, put the kettle on, checked the weather station & its reading currently -7.2C...thats cold! :)

Posted

Not sure if I am reading the METO warnings correctly, but looks like warnings for this evening/tonights snow is yet to be published/issued.

Would suggest that the METO are keeping a close eye on the developments, and would expect some further warnings to come out during the day.

Certainly a knife edge whether here in the Midlands it will fall as snow or sleet (would suggest rain as the least likely option - but we all know it can go either way).

Posted

Not sure if I am reading the METO warnings correctly, but looks like warnings for this evening/tonights snow is yet to be published/issued.

Would suggest that the METO are keeping a close eye on the developments, and would expect some further warnings to come out during the day.

Certainly a knife edge whether here in the Midlands it will fall as snow or sleet (would suggest rain as the least likely option - but we all know it can go either way).

certainly more marginal than forecasts last night, showing heavy snow to start, only to get washed away with sleet later. no sign of the cheshire gap streamer either?

Posted

certainly more marginal than forecasts last night, showing heavy snow to start, only to get washed away with sleet later. no sign of the cheshire gap streamer either?

Im pretty sure we wouldnt have to worry bout it been snow , remember the surface temp would have an effect also , i no the gfs shows that wamer secter , but imo i dont think it would have an effect on the ppn been anythin other than snow , also if what iv read about where the tripple point is been heavier ppn then as its in the bristol area we could do quite well i should think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

-6.3C my minimum, snow for tonight does just look like a weak shower, tomorrow looks like cheshire gap showers missing to north, then completely dry next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just woke up, put the kettle on, checked the weather station & its reading currently -7.2C...thats cold! cold.gif

Argh you beat me, was a comparatively balmy -7.0c half an hour ago here laugh.gif

Hopefully I will get my first ice day of the season.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

-6.3C my minimum, snow for tonight does just look like a weak shower, tomorrow looks like cheshire gap showers missing to north, then completely dry next week

Have some optimism my friend whistling.gif .

Very interesting 24 hours ahead, im pretty sure theres going to be a lot of happy faces here come this time tomorrow morning...

Posted

Some pretty heavy snow on the way tonight by the looks of it, should get an inch or 2. Nothing too deep but it's still better than some people are going to get.

Posted

Some pretty heavy snow on the way tonight by the looks of it, should get an inch or 2. Nothing too deep but it's still better than some people are going to get.

settle for that, look very good, do you think our chances for tomorrow are weakening? saw that weather from Rob last night and looked good, but today seems north of midlands

Posted

Alex Deacon just said the snow is heavy now up in Scotland and will still be heavy when it arrives later tonight for the UK

Posted

Alex Deacon just said the snow is heavy now up in Scotland and will still be heavy when it arrives later tonight for the UK

Exactly! It looks pretty potent in Scotland. And just a heavy shower can leave a nice covering behind, let alone a couple of hours of heavy snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

settle for that, look very good, do you think our chances for tomorrow are weakening? saw that weather from Rob last night and looked good, but today seems north of midlands

Wouldn't worry too much they can't tell exactly where the showers are going to hit tomorrow. It will be down to good old nowcasting.

Posted

I think tomorrow will be better for parts of the north Midlands, especialy where i live in stoke, we tend to get the brunt of the snow showers blowing in from the north west with the Cheshire Gap effect.

However all it takes is that North Westerly turning slightly more NNW, and that's when the fun starts, areas such as South Staffordshire, Birmingham and parts of Worcestershire could get hammered.

Remember November 2006? pardon.gif

Also note that soon as the front clears tonight the showers will develop instantly! clap.gif

Posted

Definitely showing snow showers over the north Midlands for tomorrow. Will definitely be a radar watching day!

Posted

The BBC website has now reversed teir original thoughts for Shrewsbury. The forecast is now snow but the graphic overnight is rain in Shrewsbury but snow most other places. I really hope we aren't left out again. It's a case of waiting and hoping

Posted

Exactly! It looks pretty potent in Scotland. And just a heavy shower can leave a nice covering behind, let alone a couple of hours of heavy snow.

I think the midlands will average between 3-8cms, high ground maybe upto12cms. The band of snow does look like there will be areas with high intensity, atm this look to be further over to the east, however it can and probably will change slightly. Whoever gets lucky im sure will be happy. :cray::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

You have to feel sorry for us near Stratford! Yesterday I travelled 10 miles to meet my parent's for lunch and everything was snowy, snow falling hard, about 2/3 cm on the ground. Came home - nothing - too far west...

Looks like today MIGHT give a dusting but seems we are in slightly the wrong place again.

Then tomorrow I seem to be too far south! Is Stratford going to challenge Abingdon for the snowless capital spot this year?

Posted

on 6Z shortwaves seem further south and west, channel low next tue/wed, but still too far east

Posted

Lining up to be a very cold day here, 10am and it is still -5c!