Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Genelle showed the snow skipping Shrewsbury totally and re-appearing further south. I'm totally confused as to precipitation, where, when, how much

You will get it but for some reason the BBC moves precipitation in 'pulses'.

Posted

nobody is as bad as Shef! lol, she didnt even mention sunday though, just went to 6am :doh:

actually i was lucky enough to be able to rewind back on virgin media, a lot of attention paid on gritters, and looked a bit marginal on saturday night? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

You will get it but for some reason the BBC moves precipitation in 'pulses'.

That is the thing that most annoys me about the BBC forecasts. Why can't the ppn move smoothly instead of jolting and apparently skipping certain areas?

Posted

That is the thing that most annoys me about the BBC forecasts. Why can't the ppn move smoothly instead of jolting and apparently skipping certain areas?

that really grinds my gears, does look a bit marginal on saturday night has to be said, perhaps a bit sleety. not getting my hopes up, and the beeb graphics for sunday dont really look like they herald a weather warning anywhere in the country.

Posted

It's a weather front that is literally going to sink right the way across the UK and clear the SE. It will certainly cross your locality at some point, whatever the graphics on the BBC show. Only bit that's up in the air is intensity. I'm expecting the front to loose a lot of its oomph by the time it reaches the Midlands, but intensity will vary a lot along it. Hit and miss then for the heavier stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Surprisingly had a cm or so of snow today. A max temperature of 0.2c. I'm happy.

Looking forward to: a possible ice day tomorrow; some more significant snow potential saturday night in to Sunday and hoping we can get a Cheshire gap feature funneling further wintryness our way.

Posted

The thing is, we know a band of cloud and potential precipitation is sinking south but it wont sleet/snow all the way across the band will it??? Some area's will miss, probably mine.

It's been so up/down/up/down tonight, just wait for tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It amazes me how some people are saying that they are saying it's likely to be sleety in nature in the West Midlands.

Have the BBC not seen the charts? It's going to be around -1 when the PPN hits and the upper air is below -5 and the dam line is across the region too so how in the heck can it be sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

It's a weather front that is literally going to sink right the way across the UK and clear the SE. It will certainly cross your locality at some point, whatever the graphics on the BBC show. Only bit that's up in the air is intensity. I'm expecting the front to lose a lot of its oomph by the time it reaches the Midlands, but intensity will vary a lot along it. Hit and miss then for the heavier stuff.

snow for 2 hours I think, it seems a skinny band, more of a shower really, still feel im too far south for Cheshire gap showers sunday

Posted

It amazes me how some people are saying that they are saying it's likely to be sleety in nature in the West Midlands.

Have the BBC not seen the charts? It's going to be around -1 when the PPN hits and the upper air is below -5 and the dam line is across the region too so how in the heck can it be sleet.

Bizarrely the Met Office are going for heavy RAIN in the west of the west Midlands! Click on the last timeslot for Saturday on the map.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Surprisingly had a cm or so of snow today. A max temperature of 0.2c. I'm happy.

Looking forward to: a possible ice day tomorrow; some more significant snow potential saturday night in to Sunday and hoping we can get a Cheshire gap feature funneling further wintryness our way.

Literally just managed an ice day here with a top temp of 0 °C. :)

Posted

Literally just managed an ice day here with a top temp of 0 °C. cold.gif

Only just missed out on one here, maximum of 0.3c. Hopefully will get one tomorrow as we have already beaten last night's minimum.

Posted

I really hope the metoffice aren't right in regards to rain.

Howveer, think logically. For mw in Shrewsbury, it says heavy rain as opposed to drizzle in Birmingham. Does that mean it could snow heavy in Shrewsbury and just light in Birmingham???

Posted

The met office are scared to death to mention snow, it would fall out of line with their "mild bias" :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Bizarrely the Met Office are going for heavy RAIN in the west of the west Midlands! Click on the last timeslot for Saturday on the map.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

I'm sorry but they have lost the plot, pure and simple.

Posted

I really hope the metoffice aren't right in regards to rain.

Howveer, think logically. For mw in Shrewsbury, it says heavy rain as opposed to drizzle in Birmingham. Does that mean it could snow heavy in Shrewsbury and just light in Birmingham???

I imagine wherever the heavier precip ends up, the greater the chance of it falling as snow anyway, thinking logically.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Well if its all going to be rain and drizzle, then I think its only fair that it misses hinckley, just as the snow did. If however its going to be snow then its more than welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Gritters are in action here tonight. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Seriously, why does anyone on here watch the BBC National & Local forecasts??.....They are designed to be watched by the masses who generally only want a rough idea of what the weather might be like the next day....They're vague at best but thats what they're designed to be!....It always gives me a chuckle seeing people taking these forecasts as gospel and getting all upset if they're not under a snow graphic! :D

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

But have they lost the plot? What is telling them it's rain not snow. Something must and I'm scared to jinx it before Sunday morning. Surely they are great experienced forecasters. I know theyve had long range forecastissue but surely not this bad? I'm totally confusedwallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I believe the issue with intensity and longevity rather than rain. If you look at the situation we have, the surface cold is established. It's not one of those fleeting frequent instances where it's an out-of-the-blue set up in an otherwise mild period. We have the cold, it's just a case of nowcasting, and real-time radar watching to see how the ppn band develops.

Posted

But have they lost the plot? What is telling them it's rain not snow. Something must and I'm scared to jinx it before Sunday morning. Surely they are great experienced forecasters. I know theyve had long range forecastissue but surely not this bad? I'm totally confusedwallbash.gif

If they genuinely thought it was going to be rain then they wouldn't have a warning out. The Met Office contradicts itself so much and so often it's frankly laughable.